Welcome to the Game-Night Kitchen!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Y'know...nothing wrong with a sliced raw-veggie tray & dip. DIY or buy 'em from your grocery's deli counter. Tasty, healthy, & quick.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Dessert time!

PIE BLITZ:

2 cans pie filling. (Your choice, I usually use cherry or apple.)
1 box French vanilla cake mix
1 1/2 stick unsalted butter OR 1 stick & some milk (see below)- you may need slightly more or less depending on your cake mix size (they vary)
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1 Tbs almond extract
1 bag of pecans or almonds
Honey or real Maple Syrup*

Optional: traditional pie spices that go with your pie filling, like cinnamon if you're making the apple version of this.

1) melt your butter

2) in a mixing bowl, mix your butter (or butter & milk) with your cake mix, extracts, and any pie spices you're using until it reaches a thick but loose consistency, like very thick oatmeal

3) pour pie filling into baking dish

4) carefully pour cake mix over pie filling

5) sprinkle nuts onto cake mix- I sometimes push some into it.

6) drizzle honey or maple syrup over top of cake & nuts.

7) cook in oven at 350F until golden brown.

Assembly of ingredients takes about 10 minutes, and not much longer than that for cooking.

It WILL disappear.

* I imagine you could use Agave Nectar as well, but iI'm not familiar with its flavor.

The Red King

First Post
Dessert time!

PIE BLITZ:

2 cans pie filling. (Your choice, I usually use cherry or apple.)
1 box French vanilla cake mix
1 1/2 stick unsalted butter OR 1 stick & some milk (see below)- you may need slightly more or less depending on your cake mix size (they vary)
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1 Tbs almond extract
1 bag of pecans or almonds
Honey or real Maple Syrup*

Optional: traditional pie spices that go with your pie filling, like cinnamon if you're making the apple version of this.

1) melt your butter

2) in a mixing bowl, mix your butter (or butter & milk) with your cake mix, extracts, and any pie spices you're using until it reaches a thick but loose consistency, like very thick oatmeal

3) pour pie filling into baking dish

4) carefully pour cake mix over pie filling

5) sprinkle nuts onto cake mix- I sometimes push some into it.

6) drizzle honey or maple syrup over top of cake & nuts.

7) cook in oven at 350F until golden brown.

Assembly of ingredients takes about 10 minutes, and not much longer than that for cooking.

It WILL disappear.

* I imagine you could use Agave Nectar as well, but iI'm not familiar with its flavor.

Where I come from we call this "dump cake" because you just dump the ingredients in.

We use 2 cans of pie filling (Cherry is my fav, but you can do any, and feel free to mix and match.

Dump them in the cake pan, sprinkle a box of either white or yellow cake mix over that, then slice up a stick of butter into pattys and spread them out over the cake mix. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 min.

Yum. Its like cobbler.

The Red King

First Post
And for the record, I made sugar cookies, and deep fried Oreos this week. Yes, I feel fatter, and I can feel my arteries hardening as I type this, but.... Damn, those deep fried Oreos are good!

Rune

Once A Fool
Episode 2: Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.

Welcome, once again, to the Game-Night Kitchen!

First of all, I want to thank you all for all of the awesome recipes that have been posted over the past week. Keep them coming!

This week's selection is more of a lunch-time dish, and, therefore, best suited to feed your gamers during a break from the action in the midst of a day-time game.

It is, in fact, the good, ol' Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Tomato Soup.

Now, everybody knows how to make a grilled cheese sandwich. I'm going to provide the easiest instructions for such that I know, but, if you all make one you like better, by all means, go with it!

What many of you may not realize is just how easy--and cheap--it is to make your own tomato soup. So...let's get started, shall we?

What you will need:

• Tomato Sauce
  • Sliced Bread
  • Butter or Margarine
  • Milk
  • Cheese
  • Sugar
  • Salt
  • Oregano
  • Basil
  • Garlic

First, let's get the soup cooking:

Put your tomato sauce in a sauce pan, and place it on a burner at medium heat. One can of tomato sauce will probably produce enough soup for 2-4 bowls of soup (depending on the size). If you're feeding four or more people, you may want to start with 2 cans of sauce. At this point, if you have any left-over pizza sauce from last week's recipe, you can add that in, as well.

Add some milk, until the desired consistency (that is, soupy) is attained. Add sugar and a pinch of salt to cut the acidity of the tomato. Add your garlic, basil, and oregano, as well, to taste. If you want to experiment with some other herbs or spices (or other ingredients), this is a great recipe to do so with, but remember, add such things in small amounts--you can't take them back out! (I like a hint of lemon or lime juice in tomato-based foods.)

Now, just like we did with the pizza sauce, you'll want to add some butter or margarine to make the soup nice and rich (if you have any, by the way, using cream instead of milk will go a long way for making a rich soup!). While you're at it, leave the margarine or butter out on the counter if it is not soft-spread, because it's going to need to be plenty soft by the time we start the sandwiches.

Once the soup tastes the way you want it to, turn the burner down to a low heat and let the soup simmer.

You already know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, right?

Well, just in case, here's one way: First of all, if you have a rectangular skillet, instead of a circular one, you'll be able to do more sandwiches at once. That's a good thing if your cooking for a group of people, but this will work out, either way.

First place the skillet on a burner on medium heat. Let it heat up, but do not turn the burner up any higher. It is very important that you do not get your skillet too hot!

Spread butter or margarine on one side of each piece of bread you will be grilling and place that bread in the skillet, buttered-side down. Spreading the butter or margarine directly onto the bread will help your sandwiches to toast evenly and consistently, and will keep you from having to clean out your pan from scorched residue in between batches (assuming your skillet is not too hot--you haven't got your burner on too high, have you?).

If you want to be really lazy, you can spray an oil-based pan-spray generously over the bread, instead--but I promise you, they won't taste as good!

Place your cheese on top of each slice of bread as quickly as you can. The thinner the cheese, the quicker it will melt. Additionally, processed cheese (such as American) tends to melt very well, while harder cheeses do less well. Your preference should definitely dictate what type of cheese you use, but, again, thinner cheese melts quicker. You do not want your cheese to be so thick that you over-toast the bread before the cheese even melts!

Once the cheese is tacky on top, close up your sandwiches and gently press them together. Let them cook a moment longer to seal the two halves together.

Cut 'em, plate 'em, and serve them with the soup!

Until next week, have fun cooking, eating, and gaming!

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup- a favored comfort food of mine since 2nd grade.:)

Over the years, I've used Velveeta and American Cheese to make these, but I've also had it with fancier cheeses as well. A bistro near me makes one with Brie, lettuce & tomato- a BLT, get it? And I've tried it with Parrano, which is a hard cheese somewhere between Gouda and Parmesan and which partners spectacularly with tomato-based recipes. You'd want to grate it or slice it thinly, though.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Healthy snacking tip: for most recipes that call for mayo (like chicken salads, tuna salads, etc.), try substituting 1/4 to 1/2 of it with plain yoghurt. The texture & color are similar, it has 1/10th the sodium while its tartness mimics the saltiness. Add a splash of white or tarragon vinegar if needed. Been doing this for years, and the only people who have noticed were the ones who watched me do it.

Another sub for mayo for the more adventurous: Mediterranean garlic spread. This is simple stuff- puréed raw garlic, vegetable (not olive) oil, and salt & pepper to taste- but getting the ratios right may be tricky. Check your local Greek/Lebanese restaurants & delis. Adds a nice garlicky tang to a lot of things- just had some tonight on some Earl Cambell's Hot Links with mustard & Jack Daniels BBQ sauce on hot-dog buns.

Fruit dip: mix champagne, sour cream, and sugar to taste (it won't take much). For a more marshmallowy flavor, use amaretto instead of champagne.

Rune

Once A Fool
Episode 3: Chicken Wings with Buffalo Dipping Sauce.

This week, we're going to do a dish that's a little more complex, and takes a little longer than other dishes we've done in the last couple of weeks, but the payoff is well worth the effort. We're going to fry up some chicken wings and make a buffalo dipping sauce.

Now, why not just do regular ol' buffalo wings? They're tremendously messy, that's why. With a dipping sauce, we still have some mess at the table, but no more than your typical game-night pizza will produce.

What you will need:

• Chicken Wings
  • All-purpose Flour
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Cooking Oil
  • Hot Sauce
  • Butter
  • Brown Sugar
  • Sour Cream

Fry, Baby, Fry.

In a large, deep frying pan, pour about a half inch to three-quarters of an inch of the cooking oil. You can use pretty much any kind of oil you want, but be aware that the flavor will carry over to your chicken, so consider which you want to use before you get started. Heat the oil over a medium flame.

(EDIT--Anytime you are dealing with a large quantity of oil, you run the risk of having some make contact with your heat source--and then--a grease-fire. In the event of a grease-fire, make sure you put it out by pouring a generous amount of salt or baking soda onto the base of the flames. They also make special fire-extinguishers for grease-fires. DO NOT try to use water (or other liquids) to put the fire out--that will just spread it around!) Of course, this assumes that the fire is still small enough to manage safely. If it is large enough to threaten your well-being, get out of the building and contact professional fire-fighters.​

In a large bowl, blend your flour with salt and pepper (as well as any other herbs or spices you'd like to try--I like garlic powder, for instance). This is best done by hand, but you'll need to make sure your hands are cleaned and thoroughly dried before you do so.

Next, rinse (and cut, if necessary) your wings and dredge them in the flour. If you like very crispy fried chicken, you'll want to dip the chicken in an egg wash, before applying the breading.

Let the chicken sit in the flour for a few minutes while your oil heats up. When you can flick a drop of water into the oil and it instantly boils away, you are good to go.

Shake off any excess breading and gently lay your chicken wings into the skillet with the meatiest sides down.

Now go wash your hands!

Saucy!

In a sauce pan, melt your butter and add hot sauce and a pinch of brown sugar. If you want to add anything else at this stage, you have some leeway to experiment, but you might try doing so in small batches. Personally, I like to add a little pineapple juice to mine.

Once this is all thoroughly blended (and tastes good!), remove it from the heat and let it cool. Once cooled, mix it with your sour cream. Put it somewhere to keep chilled.

Back to the Chicken.

Once your chicken starts to look golden around the edges, take a peak beneath. If it is also golden underneath, go ahead and turn it over. Naturally, some pieces will cook quicker than others. Cooking the next side should take less time, so be careful to keep an eye on the chicken--you don't want to burn it!

If you have a meat thermometer, the chicken should reach 165 degrees before you serve it. The chicken will actually continue to cook after removed from the oil, so you don't have to make it quite that far, but you should get pretty close. You do not want to mess around with under-cooked chicken!

If you do not have a meat thermometer, simply test the meatiest part of the wing. It should be firm and white (underneath the golden crust, of course).

When the chicken is done, turn off the oil, but let it cool before disposing of it (and don't pour it down your sink--unless you want to call a plummer!). Remove the chicken and place it on a platter that has a few paper towels on it, to absorb some of the grease. Let it rest for a moment.

Serve your gamers the wings with a portion of the dipping sauce (and, if you want to be a little more traditional, some celery stalks and bleu cheese dressing).

Until next time, good gaming!

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This week, my Deadlands crew will enjoy (hopefully) an easy pulled pork. This one is terriblly easy.

5 lbs of pork butt, cut into quarters.
Coat with spice rub, wrap in plastic and fridge overnight.
Toss into a slow cooker with a cup of good BBQ sauce. Cook on low for 10 hours.
Pull.
Eat.

Served with green salad. I think my wife will make Rice Crispies Treats for dessert. She usually bakes something far more complex than that, but it just seemed to go well, and everyone secretly loves the things, but nobody ever makes them except for bake sales.

The Red King

First Post
OK, my turn to contribute. First a favorite for dinner even when its not game night:

Shrimp Stir Fry:

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup cold water
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 cup frozen Oriental mixed vegetables, thawed
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
I skip the peanuts because my son has an allergy.

Directions

1. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir in the soy sauce, garlic powder and ginger; set aside.
  2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry broccoli in oil for 2 minutes. Add red pepper and onions; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the shrimp, Oriental vegetables and garlic; cook 3 minutes longer.
  3. Stir cornstarch mixture and stir into shrimp mixture. Add the peanuts. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
It goes together pretty quickly, and you can sub chicken for part or all of the shrimp and the taste is till as good.

For desert.....

Fried Oreos!

I know, bad for you, but sooooooo good. I limit myself to 2 or 3 per person, so if they want more they have to bargian with someone else for them.

Ingredients

• 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup pancake mix
  • 1 (18 ounce) package cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (such as Oreo®) So yes, you can use Hydrox or any other cookies, but I perfer Oreo double stuff. Or at least the ones where the filling is a different color.
Directions

1. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Whisk together the egg, milk, and 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a bowl until smooth. Stir in the pancake mix until no dry lumps remain. Dip the cookies into the batter one at a time, and carefully place into the hot frying oil. Fry only 4 or 5 at a time to avoid overcrowding the deep fryer. Cook until the cookies are golden-brown, about 2 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate before serving.
These will yeild about 30 cookies. At 3 a piece the neutrition info is:

Calories: 156 | Total Fat: 9.8g | Cholesterol: 8mg

So don't eat them all!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases