Time to bring back the prose?

Incenjucar

Legend
Nobody is advocating they be confusing. It's not a binary choice between a dictionary and a sonnet.

What they advocate and what is actually available for WotC to utilize are unrelated.

Who exactly is available, affordable, and willing to write this stuff in a way that won't just irritate people?

Steely_Dan

First Post
I didnt find the 3.x phb to be much different from 4es myself.

And i have no experience before that so i dont see why people think 4e suddenly broke some kind of barrier.

I found them substantially different (in many ways).

I feel 4th Ed was the biggest change from what came before (still has stuff I like), you can mash up all previous editions, but 4th really is such a departure it's hard.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What they advocate and what is actually available for WotC to utilize are unrelated.

Who exactly is available, affordable, and willing to write this stuff in a way that won't just irritate people?

I don't understand your question. WotC has writers.

I prefer well written and engaging prose. Clarity is important but it needn't be done at the expense of other elements of good writing. The last thing I want when I read an RPG book is something that sounds like a tech manual.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, but those writers couldn't get you to buy a 5th book.

Which writers are you referring to, specifically? And why would each if them be unable to produce text to my tastes?

You statement sounds like it has a remarkable knowledge if both WotC staff and my prose preferences!

Incenjucar

Legend
Which writers are you referring to, specifically? And why would each if them be unable to produce text to my tastes?

You statement sounds like it has a remarkable knowledge if both WotC staff and my prose preferences!

I'm not in a position to know who wrote what, and even if I did, I don't want to go around calling individuals out.

I do know that WotC can write what I consider really good rules, even if their editing has a poor history, and I know that I've had no problem enjoying 4E without anyone trying to wax poetic, so I'd rather they focus on that than on prose, which will at best be a waste of ink for me.

Incenjucar

Legend
I didn't make that claim, so, yay?

I do not personally care for flowery prose or anything approximating it. I do not value its presence in a game book, and I find that it often causes problems in the game. The history of WotC's writing suggests to me that it would be more valuable to me for them to just not get involved in it. I think that it will result in a poorer product, from what my understanding of what a poorer product is, and I think it would make it more difficult for me to find people to play with, were I to purchase the product despite the inclusion of such text.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases