[Adventure] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge:Lord Sessadore)

Neil1889

First Post
Ratchet nods at Sabynha's words. "...You're flying the Counts flag. He'll want to know this. You're going to have to ... *cough* turn the ship around."

Rain sheathes her sword and folds her arms.

"No. This ship needs to go to the nearest port first for repairs. Perhaps we'll have to deal with this problem ourselves."

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
"I agree. We need to puut in for repairs. We can decide what to do about zis ozher problem when we haf more to go on; when he iis awake and can tell us more." Sabynha spoke to Rain in between songs.

She then moved closer to Rain, and spoke much quieter, "I also agree that we could deal with zhis ourselves. We do speak for the count, afterall."

Neil1889

First Post
She then moved closer to Rain, and spoke much quieter, "I also agree that we could deal with zhis ourselves. We do speak for the count, afterall."

Rain nods, her curved horns momentarily catching the light in the rays of the setting sun, "If we can, we'll send a message to the Count by another ship."

jbear

First Post
Ratchet's sigh turns into a cough. The fight seems to go out of him and he lies back on the deck staring at the darkening sky.

"They may not have much time. A day ... maybe two at the most ..."

As the ship sails into Port Bean you can see that the dock is almost completely abandoned.

Apart from a few stray cats fighting over a fish head and a pair of fishermen hauling nets onto a small fishing vessel the ample dock seems completely abandoned as the Dolphin sails in to its mooring. You can tell there would be space enough for at least twenty boats as large if not larger than the Dolphin at any one time. The large warehouses built in the nearby surrounds and the well built road that passes through them indicate that the dock has once been a place of heavy trade.

The door of a two storied wooden building near the road opens allowing the light from inside to spill out for a moment as a group of five or six figures emerge from within and begin to head your way as you prepare to disembark. It takes them only a few moments to reach the dock and though the light is quickly fading you can see they are all weather beaten and hardy men, most of them human. One raises his hand in salute before calling out:

"Need any help unloading? For a few coin you can buy some strong arms?"

One of the other men whacks him lightly on the chest. "Look Bill, she's been in a scrap, for sure. Look at her, all broke up."

'Bill' whistles as he takes a proper look at the Dolphin. "You not wrong, Caff, you're not wrong. We can help you with that in the morning as well if you like. That's skilled labour though. That'll cost a few more coin!"

Captain Peg makes his way to the edge of the boat and peers over at the men.

"Ahoy there. Aye, we can use some spare hands. Lost three good men on this crossing. But me only cargo are a few folk on there way to Crystalbrook. They can unload themselves, I think. If you want work, we begin now. Go get your tools ... and torches. We'll be working through the night. I'll double your pay if she's fit to leave by midday tomorrow."

The men say no more, spurred into action by the Captain's offer of work and the promise of double pay if they can finish it quickly.

Captain Peg turns to the group. "I'd say it has been a pleasure, ladies and gentlemen but my girl is too badly beaten up for that to be anything but a lie. You fought like salty sea dogs that's for sure. I'll speak to my grandchildren about this day and how proud I am to have known you. You see that building the dockworkers came out of? That's where you'll want to rest your head tonight. "The Smokey Bean", they call her. There's a lass in there, a fine strapping woman named Olga. Tell her Peg sent you on business for the Count. That'll take care of food and lodgings and get your horses tomorrow to Crystalbrook. Tell her Young Peg said to give you one of his private stock. Make sure you say Young Peg. Oh ... and wink ... and knock on your leg as if it was wood ..."

Peg chuckles at his own words.

"She'll like that, will Olga."

His first mate Bilge leans over and whispers something in his ear to which Peg nods. "That's true. I might be dead if it wasn't for you all. All right, tell her Peg said to take one each. She might not believe you. If you tell her the story of our crossing and say I'm out here fixing up my girl ... well, she might believe ye then."

Captain Peg looks a little choked up.

"Go on. Get on with ye all. Only work to do here, and the gods know you've done more than enough for one day. And don't worry about the Masons here. I'll send someone for a doctor and we'll take 'em home with us tomorrow. The Count looks after his own."

After some back slapping, hugging, cheering and the outburst of a spontaneous sea shanty in your honour you are now free to make your way towards 'The Smokey Bean".

Last edited:

Daeja

Explorer
Zuri is one of the first to disentangle from the post-arrival celebrations and farewells. She looks over the Dolphin, seeing the effects of the battle on her. "We made the right decision, not to turn around," she says to no one in particular. The ship is battered, to say the least, and Zuri has a hard time imagining how she would have fared if they'd attempted another crossing - particularly with the threat of Yakuzi hanging over them.

To one of the men who'd been on the docks when the Dolphin made port, Zuri asks, "Are the docks usually this, ah, quiet?"

Son of Meepo

First Post
Wat looks over at the workers and then at the ship.

"I think your ship will be good as new soon enough. Just make sure those men don't try to take advantage of your desperate situation."

He clasps Captain Peg's right hand with his own and leans closer.

"I meant what I said. As soon as I return to Count Varis I will see about having him work with my church to offer protection from pirates."

He then walks down the gangplank, touching solid ground for the first time in a while. As he is joined by the rest of the passengers he first responds to Zuri.

"If there are pirates, the people might be too afraid to sail. Especially if they don't trust the count to protect them."

"If the people know we have repelled a Yakuza attack, they will likely look up to us more than if we were just a bunch of bureaucrats sent to placate the locals. We should make sure our tale is heard by more than just Olga. Then, we should make immediate inquiries about receiving an audience from Lady Tamora in the morning. We should at least speak to her about the problem we were sent to discuss before we turn our attention to the problems with this Gate."

Daeja

Explorer
Approving of Wat's 'take advantage of the situation' attitude, Zuri nods, "Fine by me." She clearly isn't keen to sail off into a situation where they'll be deliberately outnumbered. And then she quickly gives each of their companions a once over, and mutters "Though anyone who sees us as a bunch of bureaucrats clearly isn't in their right mind...."

jbear

First Post
One of the dock workers who has not yet moved away to secure his tools and supplies, looks up from his careful inspection of the Dolphin's hull. He responds distractedly not really looking at Zuri.

"Right you are, Lady. Them damned to hell elves have throttled the life out of the port. First with their taxes and now with the raids on the plantations. Coffee Plantation went up a week ago. The Tabacco the week before that. Damn killed things around here right before harvest! This place should be teeming and we sure as hell shouldn't have time to repair a ship after sundown. I tell ya, if I didn't need the coin I'd have got my hammers and gone with the posse to k..."

At that point the man looks up at Zuri and stops his sentence suddenly. His eyes widen with surprise and then narrow with anger. "Are you taunting me, elf?"

His fist clench open and shut dangerously and he looks over his shoulder to see where exactly his companions are, which you see are luckily far away and not paying any attention as they gather themselves for work.

OOC: Doh! Daeja's a pretty cool name for a character as well! Hehe ... edited. :eek:

Last edited:

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: I think he's looking at Zuri, not Daeja. ;)

"Exactly who do you think the count would send to mediate a dispute between human and elf," replies Wat, trying best to make his more elf like features stand out.

"Furthermore, don't bother us with idle threats. If you had it in you to face down an armed elf you wouldn't be here right now to run your mouth. The spoils of war are more lucrative than standing around moping that your harvest is ruined. You just don't have the guts for it. That lady is not afraid of pirates, so she certainly isn't intimidated by the likes of you."

jbear

First Post
The man backs down and backs away realising he is badly outnumbered and likely facing fighters.

"Right ... sent by the Count. He's a good man. I'm sure he knows what he is doing. Err... sorry."

With that he turns and hurries away suddenly finding that he has plenty to do elsewhere.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases