[Adventure] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge:Lord Sessadore)

jbear

First Post
Sabynha and Gray rush forward into the frozen waterfall reaching towards Rain's outstretched hands. Gray even almost makes it, before the pressure of their passage becomes crushingly intense and they are thrust backwards with incredible force, crashing hard into the edge of the shallow pool many feet nearly 20 feet away. It is now clear how difficult this passage will be and the truly heroic effort of Rain to have crossed on her first attempt.

GM: The Athletics DC is 20. Having undergone that experience grants you a Nature check DC 12; it might have been less painful if someone had successfully investigated the waterfall itself before hand.

Son of Meepo

First Post
Try as he might, Wat just isn't strong enough to make the crossing through the waterfall.

Soaked, Wat picks himself off the ground.

"Do you think Julianna and Orlando had the strength to make it through?"

"It's no good. I simply don't have the strength to make it through. We'll have to find another way..."

Wat studies the waterfall for a moment seeing if there is any way through...

"Perhaps I could..."

[sblock=Trying something]Wat is trying to see if there is a way he can alter the rift of the fey crossing so that the passage between here and Arcadia is in front of the waterfall rather than within.

Arcana;Nature (1d20+7=21, 1d20+4=18)[/sblock]

"If you can climb the mountain, bring the summit to you... I think I could..."

"Rain, Sabynha, I need a hand."

OOC: Nearly made the hard DC on both checks. I think with an assist or a bonus from Sabynha I could hit a 20+ on both.

OOC: It's kind of a bummer when you roll a 19 on a d20 and still fail.

With his athletics of -2, even with an assist, I have to roll a 20 to hit the DC, and without an assist it is impossible for Wat to make it at all.

Last edited:

Daeja

Explorer
Seeing that she can, perhaps, be of use to the group here (and hoping it might do something to even the imbalance of having been well and truly throttled in nearly all the battles fought alongside them), Zuri says softly, "I'll try next."

Once her companions have cleared the way, Zuri pushes her way through the waterfall, gritting her teeth against the force of it.

[sblock=rolls]Athletics (1d20+7+2=21 Success!
Nature 1d20=4 Failure[/sblock]
To Rain she nods in acknowledgement of the woman's feat in going through first. A quick scan of the room doesn't superficially suggest anything of value to grab so she turns to the waterfall, offering to add her assistance to the next person to attempt to come through....

Gray is flung back from the waterfall with the force of a cannon. His body skips along the top of the gelatinous surface of water in the pool, parts of his body "sticking" for a moment while the rest of his body continues on at break-neck speed, causing limbs to wrench out of place, sockets to strain painfully, and skin to get friction burn. Finally, he lands against the far wall of the cavern, slamming his head into the rock. For a moment, Gray sees a flash of white and he nearly passes out. Shaking his head in sheer determination, however, the monk focuses his senses and forces himself to stand, albeit very slowly.

Growling angrily, he limps his way back over to the waterfall. "Everyone move! If we cannot walk through it... I will break it! It is water...and water is no match for the desert!"

With that, strides up to the still waterfall and begins generating heat within his hands. With a flurry of rapid punches, Gray attempts to eliminate the barrier with the heat of the desert sun!

[sblock=Actions]
Move: Walk over to the waterfall
Standard: Light the Fire vs Waterfall's reflex; Gray rolls 15 reflex for 8 fire damage. Gray activates aura 1. If an enemy (the waterfall) is in this at the start of it's next turn, it takes another 6 fire damage.
- No Action: Desert Wind Flurry of Blows hits waterfall for another 6 fire damage.
[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
OOC: Now we're talking!

Wat's frustrated attempts are not for naught. His understanding of the barrier of water begins to crystalise just as Zuri rushes through. The eladrin is only a split second away from being thrust backwards when Rain grasps her wrist and pulls her safely through to the room beyond.

Gray nears the barrier and uses his psionic power to disrupt the flow of the frozen water. Wat can see that some how the impact of his fists have weakened the barrier though the fire itself merely causes a few wisps of vapour to rise to the ceiling. But more importantly he realises the water does indeed move, but its movement is extremely slow.

GM: Zuri has made it! Gray's disruption of the waterfall provides another +2 bonus to checks to cross the waterfall.

[sblock=Wat understanding the waterfall fully] It takes at least a minute for a water droplet to fall an inch. He calculates that it would take more than two hours for water to fall from the top to the bottom of the waterfall. He believes this is where the secret of passage to the other room lies; attuning the movement through the barrier to the speed of which the water is very slowly flowing, rather than traversing it at a normal speed or quickly.

Doing so reduces the Athletics (or Endurance) DC to DC 8. [/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
Wat attunes himself to the falling of the water.

"I see... Follow my lead."

Wat begins to move slowly, muscles twinging almost imperceptibly. First a hand, then the tip of a foot enters the cascade. The muscles begin to strain from being held in nearly the same position. When is face enters the fall the others watch, wondering if he will drown. But eventually after many minutes, he emerges on the other side.

OOC: With +4 in assists and an Endurance of +3, Wat can't fail the DC 8 check.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Too stunned from being ejected by the slow waterfall to even speak, Sabynha is unable to answer Wat before he figures things out on his own. She picks herself up, wincing from a new bruise, and follows Wat's lead.

[sblock]1d20+6=7 With the +2 from Grey, Sabynha also can't fail the Endurance check, though with this roll, she surely would have.[/sblock]

Although Gray had trained for physical activities, moving slowly was not one of them. He was much more used to the opposite, due to his avoidance and movement training. As such, his muscles were just too twitchy, and even with the assistance of Wat and his own punches to the waterfall, he moved too quickly to attune himself to the slow movement of the sluggish water.

[sblock=Ouch!]
Endurance: 1d20+4=7 (pout)[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
Gray is flung with crushing force from within the waterfall up against the edge of the pool once more. Bloody and battered but learning from the rib crunching experience, Gray tries a different approach, finding the stillness within himself to traverse the falls and at last joins his companions in the room beyond the falls.

Meanwhile as Rain patiently remains partly within the fall as though frozen in time herself the sharp eyes of the rest of the group discover that wet footprints of shoe wearing humanoids have dried here, leaving marks on the floor. Two sets of such prints lead from the room into the tunnel.

GM: Ouch! And Oops! I checked Gray's sheet and he has +5 Athletics. With the +4 bonus that is also an auto success so Gray has passed on his third attempt learning through the school of very hard knocks

Last edited:

Neil1889

First Post
Slowly, Rain withdraws from the water curtain and moves to stand guard at the tunnel entrance, whilst the others recover. She also attempts to warm herself with her blanket.

"That was exceedingly strange and dangerous. I'm still not certain how we all got through; my vision was seemingly blurred."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases