D&D 4th Edition [Adventure] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge:Lord Sessadore) - Page 23




  1. #221
    Registered User
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

    Nemesis Destiny's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,526

    Ignore Nemesis Destiny
    Sabynha slept like a log, and awoke feeling refreshed, despite the wine. She paved over the horrid taste in her mouth with some of the fine cooking downstairs. "Sank you for breakfast. It ees very goot."

    While eating cakes and slurping milk, the vistani thoughtfully selected a potion from the stash - the amber liquid.

    Spoiler:
    Grabbing the Elixir of Aptitude - what better for a Jill of All Trades than a +1 to a skill check

 

  • #222
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    jbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Online
    Posts
    3,990

    Ignore jbear
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Meepo View Post

    "Thank you for your help. Though we should decide how we want to proceed. How far out of our way would this gate be? The problem with the elves has been one that has been going on for some time, but something tells me this gate problem might be newer, and a bit more insidious."


    OOC: Potion of Clarity.
    Olga pats Wat on the back affectionately. "Now now, don't be getting any silly ideas in you head about sailing back to Redstone Isle with Young Peg to deal with them Yakuza. Besides, that Lah'nun friend of yours already woke up and said his goodbyes. Said he had to take care of that too. How many of you do you need to tell the Count what is going on? Besides, I've already had the horses saddled and readied. Did I mention the part where we were all counting on you? You wouldn't want me to slip the poisoned sweetcakes into your breakfast the next time you came to visit would you?"

    She winks and smiles but your not quite sure if she is joking or not.

    OOC
    @Son of Meepo The Redstone Gate is situated near the Redstone Isle, where you began the adventure. If you all decided that you prefer to follow that story up ... well I guess it could be arranged... *Imagine me saying that in the tone of voice that an acquantaince might when you popped around by surprise and they offer you 'juice or ...', hoping you'll accept the juice as they have nothing else in the fridge.* It is not intended for this adventure, it was intended as a background to events within the Isles to make the place feel a little more alive and dynamic (and to satisfy treex' complaint that there would be no sea based elements in the adventure) and a minor quest to get word to Count Varis in time before the surprise attack occurs, but not needed to be given in person by yourselves. But I decided that it was enough that you had saved the wounded men and with Themes heading back the quest is in effect complete. Sorry for any confusion caused by this. There are a few details about the setting of the Crystal Isles on Page 1, all details your characters should more or less know

    @Daeja @Neil1889 @LordGraz'zt I'm a little hesitant to move things on without giving you a chance to pick your potion in character. Let me know what your guys opinion is about this in the OOC thread. That said, I will anyway. Just include the reward your character chooses in your next post. It would be good if everyone still keen to carry on checks in. Let me know if you have real life stuff happening that is going to interfere with your posting. Only takes a second
    @treex Thanks for your contribution. Sorry things didn't work out. Good luck with your future games. I'll have Time XP and Gold up in a while, once I've figured out the calculations. And of course one of the potions are for Themes as well.


    Before anyone has a chance to protest Olga has hustled you all out the door towards the stables where a strapping teenage lad awaits you holding the reigns of 5 riding horses. Olga introduces the boy as Tom. Tom smiles, his eyes fixated on Sabynha, a similar look of adoration seen on Megs face can be seen. She of course has come to see you off as well. "Tom will accompany you to Crystalbrook and make sure the horses are properly cared for until you return. You won't be able to take them into the Sildaine, if that's where you're headed. Tom'll make sure they are waiting safely for you in Crystalbrook when you are ready to return. Let's hope it all goes smooth as a boat in the calm, aye? See you back here for one of them poisoned cakes I promised you aye, boyo?" Olga winks at Wat.

    She chuckles to let him know she is joking affectionately with him and adds: "And if you get the roads back open to trade, next time I promise they'll be fresh!"

    After you are all mounted Tom gets on his own horse and off you trot up the road towards Crystalbrook as Olga and Wat wave you goodbye. If you turn back you might catch Meg wiping a tear from her eye or Old Sad Sacks peeking out from an upstairs window.

    The journey is a fairly steady climb up and away from Port Bean. A thick green forest flanks the left hand side of the road almost all of the way. To the right the lands are pastures and fields recently harvested. After an hours journey the fields become blackened and charred from what must have been quite a blaze. At a certain point you can see a river up ahead. It flows from the direction you are headed but at a certain point turns into the forest and is hidden amongst the trees which is why you hadn't seen it until now. The river is wide and fast flowing. It is in fact quite a beauty. The silvery green elestial quartz that lines the the river bed catches the light in quite a spectacular way. Darting shapes of fish can be seen within. Obviously it is teeming with life. The sun is shining and all seems well with the world apart from the burnt fields to your right.

    Insight Passive DC 12
    Tom looks suddenly very tense as he rides. He often looks into the trees before turning his head away quickly as though he is doing something he shouldn't

    Nature or Perception Passive DC 12
    No birds to be heard from such a verdant forest strikes you as strange


    Tom says quietly in a strained "We're almost there now. An hour and we'll see the city."
    Last edited by jbear; Wednesday, 20th June, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
    'I am a predator...the predator improves the race...I kill but not out of hate.'
    Frank Herbert: Emperor God of Dune

  • #223
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    jbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Online
    Posts
    3,990

    Ignore jbear
    GM: Time XP and Treasure Awards

    Month 1: May 10th - June 10th: Time XP: 167 XP each; Time Gold: 126 gp each

    Encounter 1: Skill Challenge: Yakuza Attack! Awards: 1 of Pegs Elixirs (above) each: worth 50 gp

    Plus: Quest Award still requires approval: In the Service of Count Varis: 50 gp awarded here

    Final XP totals for Themes @treex
    Encounter 1: Skill Challenge: Yakuza Attack! 290 xp
    Time XP: 1 month May 10th - June 10th = 167 xp
    June 10th - June 18th Final Post = 8/30 of a month Time XP = 45 xp
    Final Total = 503 xp

    Final Treasure Totals for Themes:
    Quest: In the Service of Count Varis: 50 gp spent on Hempen Rope
    Encounter 1 Award: 1 of Pegs' elixirs from above (50gp)
    Time Gold: 1 Month May 10th - June 10th: 126 gp
    +May 10th-May 18th Final Post: 8/30 of a months Time Gold = 33 gp 6 sp
    Final Total: 159 gp + 6sp + 1 elixir (50 gp) +lots of rope (50 gp)

    Awaiting Approval from our illustrious judge: @Lord Sessadore
    'I am a predator...the predator improves the race...I kill but not out of hate.'
    Frank Herbert: Emperor God of Dune

  • #224
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    147

    Ignore Daeja
    Before departing from the Smokey Bean, Zuri is careful to catch a quick moment to thank Olga for her hospitality.


    On the journey, Zuri is content to find a spot towards the back of the group. Her eyes constantly scan the forest, picking out potential hiding spots from which to launch attacks on travellers - practicing the theory, as it were, behind her craft. There is something a little unsettling, she notices, as they travel.

    "Are the birds always so quiet, Tom?" She calls ahead to him, when there's a lull in conversation.



    OOC: Passive Perception=15 /// Zuri takes a potion of treasure seeking

  • #225
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    862

    Ignore Neil1889
    Rain had been early to bed and early to rise, indeed early enough to wish Themes the best of luck as he departed.

    Her farewells to Olga and her companions had been polite, very formal. Her choice of the healing potion had been accepted with as much grace as she muster towards Olga and her respects to Captain Peg had been offered.

    On the ride through the countryside, Rain moved to the front, though even with some familiarity with the road ahead, she'd come to a stop when she first saw the burned fields. She'd resumed her journey, keeping much to herself, brow furrowed as she lost herself in her own thoughts.

  • #226
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Lord Sessadore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Posts
    2,525

    Ignore Lord Sessadore
    Judgement!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbear View Post
    GM: Time XP and Treasure Awards

    Month 1: May 10th - June 10th: Time XP: 167 XP each; Time Gold: 126 gp each

    Encounter 1: Skill Challenge: Yakuza Attack! Awards: 1 of Pegs Elixirs (above) each: worth 50 gp

    Plus: Quest Award still requires approval: In the Service of Count Varis: 50 gp awarded here

    Final XP totals for Themes @treex
    Encounter 1: Skill Challenge: Yakuza Attack! 290 xp
    Time XP: 1 month May 10th - June 10th = 167 xp
    June 10th - June 18th Final Post = 8/30 of a month Time XP = 45 xp
    Final Total = 503 xp

    Final Treasure Totals for Themes:
    Quest: In the Service of Count Varis: 50 gp spent on Hempen Rope
    Encounter 1 Award: 1 of Pegs' elixirs from above (50gp)
    Time Gold: 1 Month May 10th - June 10th: 126 gp
    +May 10th-May 18th Final Post: 8/30 of a months Time Gold = 33 gp 6 sp
    Final Total: 159 gp + 6sp + 1 elixir (50 gp) +lots of rope (50 gp)

    Awaiting Approval from our illustrious judge: @Lord Sessadore
    All looks good to me, approved!

    Though I think you mean June 10th-June 18th for Themes' time XP.
    Current and past PbP: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4853360-post58.html

  • #227
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    jbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Online
    Posts
    3,990

    Ignore jbear
    At Zuri's words Tom's head snaps around towards the forest his eyes wide with fright. Trembling he says in a hushed whisper "We may be being watched. T-tax collectors. Let's hurry."

    He spurs his horse into a canter. After only a few strides ahead, before you have had a chance to respond to Tom's sudden flight, a yellow feathered black arrow flies from the trees and lodges itself in the ground directly in Tom's path. Tom pulls up hard, too hard in his panic and his horse rears up on its hind legs and comes to an abrupt stop, throwing Tom from the horse. A voice with a heavy sylvan accent calls from somewhere in the trees. "You travel the Sildaine Road, you pay the Road tax. 2 pieces of gold. Per head."

    Tom propping himself up on his elbow calls out, scared but defiant. "This aint your side of the Brook. Crystalbrookers built this road! The Bean road! We owe you nothing elf!"

    A second arrow flies from the trees and lands very near Tom's foot.

    "Next comment and you will limp the rest of your life, boy. 2 gold pieces per head. And don't forget to count the heads of your horses."

    GM: You can see no signs of the "Tax Collectors".

    Whoever is speaking and shooting arrows at you is well hidden in the trees of the Sildaine forest. From the road where you now sit upon your horses there is perhaps 10 feet til the edge of the river. The river is 20 ft wide, 10 ft deep and fast flowing. there is another 5ft of shrub covered river bank before the treeline. Wherever they are they definitely benefit from Superior cover. To the right of the road there is only burnt open fields and a low stone fence about 2 or 3 feet high about 15 feet from the side of the road.

    What do you do?


    Perception Active Only DC 19

    The second arrow has helped you locate one of the "Tax Collectors".
    From where the voice is coming from you can tell whoever is talking is not the one firing the arrows.
    Perception DC 24
    You can't help but admire how well hidden the elves are, but your eyes are even sharper. You count 7 elves including the speaker. 4 of them in the trees and 3, including the speaker, at ground level. All but the speaker have their bows trained on Tom and the group.
    Last edited by jbear; Thursday, 21st June, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
    'I am a predator...the predator improves the race...I kill but not out of hate.'
    Frank Herbert: Emperor God of Dune

  • #228
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)



    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    2,063

    Ignore Son of Meepo
    Perception (1d20+4=17)

    Wat scans the tree line, but doesn't notice anything in the thick foliage.

    "You'll need to come out if you wish to collect. But I would seriously reconsider your present course of action. It would most certainly be to your detriment to murder Count Varis' ambassadors on their way to a meeting with Lord Carric."

    Wat holds his hand, palm open and slowly, veeeeeeeeeeery sloooooooowly reaches into his pocked to pull out the piece of paper embossed with the Count's personal seal.

  • #229
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    jbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Online
    Posts
    3,990

    Ignore jbear
    A long silence follows Wat's words. At last the voice speaks again.

    "You'll leave the coin upon the ground and carry on your way, man who holds paper. Before you pay by the leg instead of head."

    Insight Passive or Active DC 19
    You can hear doubt in the speaker's voice.
    'I am a predator...the predator improves the race...I kill but not out of hate.'
    Frank Herbert: Emperor God of Dune

  • #230
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)



    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    2,063

    Ignore Son of Meepo
    Insight (1d20+6=23)

    "THINK before you draw your bowstring again. Which would upset Lord Carric more, that your actions sparked all out war with the County, or that you murdered what might very well be his last hope for finding his daughter alive? Personally I think either one wouldn't end well for you, but both? You'll be fortunate if all you and your band get is exile."


    Wat's words were forceful enough. He hoped enough that he could break the elf's shaken resolve.

    Intimidate (1d20+6=12)

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 23 of 155 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. [OOC Discussion] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge??)
      By jbear in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 688
      Last Post: Friday, 1st August, 2014, 11:08 AM
    2. The Jade Frontier, part 2 (DM: THB, Judge: Lord Sessadore)
      By TwoHeadsBarking in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 946
      Last Post: Saturday, 21st August, 2010, 03:44 PM
    3. Replies: 1187
      Last Post: Sunday, 28th February, 2010, 12:39 AM
    4. The Jade Frontier (DM: Ukingsken, Judge: Lord Sessadore)
      By ukingsken in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 997
      Last Post: Sunday, 6th December, 2009, 09:59 PM
    5. Blight Makes Right (DM: TwoHeadsBarking. Judge: Lord Sessadore)
      By TwoHeadsBarking in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 418
      Last Post: Sunday, 29th November, 2009, 08:48 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •