D&D 4th Edition [Adventure] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge:Lord Sessadore) - Page 24




+ Log in or register to post
Page 24 of 153 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 74 124 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 1523
  1. #231
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    835

    Ignore Neil1889
    Rain looks around her carefully, listening to the doubt in the stranger's voice. "Look if it helps, I'll bring the paper to you so you can read it before anybody on either side does anything too hastily."

    actions
    Perception Active Only DC 19 (1d20-1), followed by Insight Active DC 19 (1d20). Total: 19 and 20 respectively. Two nat 20's!

 

  • #232
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    jbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Online
    Posts
    3,882

    Ignore jbear
    There is another long pause. It may be the wind in the trees or two voices arguing in whispered tones in a silvery tongue. It is hard to tell. Then a horn sounds in the distance from within the forest. Whatever this signal means it prompts a response at last.

    "On your way ... ambassadors." The word ambassador is spoken with thick sarcasm.

    There is a rustle of leaves within the trees and then you are alone.

    Bonus Information for Rain for rolling two natural 20's in a row

    You could swear despite the sarcasm the speaker was in a rush. And the sarcasm was masking sudden fear.


    Tom gets back to his shaky legs and remounts. "S-sorry about that. The elves usually tax at the bridge and again in the forest, but I've never heard of them taxing on Bean road before. We should get going, in case they change their minds. They're not known for being reasonable."
    Last edited by jbear; Thursday, 21st June, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
    'I am a predator...the predator improves the race...I kill but not out of hate.'
    Frank Herbert: Emperor God of Dune

  • #233
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    835

    Ignore Neil1889
    Quote Originally Posted by jbear View Post
    We should get going, in case they change their minds. They're not known for being reasonable."
    Rain waits before the group has travelled down the road a ways before mentioning, "Whatever it was that the blowing of the horn meant, it was that action which finally convinced our would-be extortionists to leave us alone."

  • #234
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    147

    Ignore Daeja
    Zuri bites her lower lip during the exchange between Wat, Rain and the elves in the forest. She respects the efforts of the elves to ply their trade, even as she desires not to fall victim to it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Neil1889 View Post
    "Whatever it was that the blowing of the horn meant, it was that action which finally convinced our would-be extortionists to leave us alone."
    "So they weren't impressed by our claims about Count Varis.... I wonder whether those, ah, tax collectors are considered loyal subjects of Carric's." Zuri mused out loud.

  • #235
    Sabynha had been unusually silent and contemplative this morning. She was not hung over, but something was clearly weighing on her mind, and perhaps her heart. She'd seemed almost hollow, though not insincere, when she thanked Olga and Meg this morning. Even the wandering eyes of Tom were met with a minimum of playfulness.

    And now this; burnt fields, highwaymen, and a forest choked into silence by fear. This place was truly in peril. Sabynha's inward reflecting left her distracted, and when the "tax collectors" came to call, she was startled, caught very unprepared. All she could do was take in what was going on, as though helpless in a dream, seemingly unable to react.

    Now that the threat has passed, her faculties return. She hoped that nobody noticed her disgraceful failure to act. Pirates, she faced with boldness and courage, but cowardly voices from the shadows gave her pause. A strange thing. She dismounts and helps young Tom to his feet, asking after his health.

    "Zhere was somesing odd about zhem..."
    Sabynha plucked the arrows from the ground, as though it might offer some kind of clue. "Perhaps Tom is right; we should go qvickly now, but I am curious about zis horn ve heardt."

    OOC: Sorry about my lack of posts yesterday. It was too bloody hot to turn my computer on here (~35C).

  • #236
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    jbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Online
    Posts
    3,882

    Ignore jbear
    Tom thanks Sabynha shyly, a deep blush reddening his cheeks. He gets back on his horse looking into the forest nervously, obviously terrified.

    When the group are ready to continue he doesn't hesitate to spur his horse on away from the scene at quite a clip.

    As you breech the top of the hill and begin to descend, a thick fog rolls out of the forest and engulfs the valley you are descending into. Tom curses.

    "Oh no. Not the Mist ... People at the Bean been talking about the Mist ... and the gremlins that come out of them. Say the elves send them when they get angry. Retaliation like. Last night some of the boys from the Docks went in to the Sildaine .... they were talking revenge ... "
    Last edited by jbear; Friday, 22nd June, 2012 at 01:13 AM.
    'I am a predator...the predator improves the race...I kill but not out of hate.'
    Frank Herbert: Emperor God of Dune

  • #237
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    835

    Ignore Neil1889
    "Into interior of the Sildaine? A last errand of the foolish."

    Rain draws her sword and holds it by leg as she rides, her magical wards strengthening around her as the mist envelops them in turn.

  • #238
    Likewise, following Rain's lead, Sabynha fixes her belt-buckler to her arm, though she leaves her sword sheathed.

    "Zis mist sounds most... dire. Perheps ze horn vas some kindt of varning? Be on your guard."

    Spoiler:
    Skald Aura on, and Sabynha is near the middle of the group.

  • #239
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    jbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Online
    Posts
    3,882

    Ignore jbear
    The tension is palpable as you journey through the mist which swirls, thickening and thinning as you descend and then rise out of the valley over the next hill. You can hear the Crystal Brook river running beside you to your left and at some stage you hear a second horn blast from the forest. With a lack of visibility and the feeling of threat your pace naturally slows, making the final leg of the journey take longer, and making it seem interminable.

    At last Tom says in a quiet voice: "If I'm right, Crystalbrook is just over the next hill. We would see the towers if it weren't for the mist."

    Minutes later as you make your way up the final hill a trumpet blasts up ahead, a sound much different from the horn blast from the forest. And it is cut off quite suddenly with a strangled cry of pain. In the distance you can hear screams of panic rise up in chorus. Something very wrong is happening.

    Spurring your horses forward with urgency the walls at last come into sight. You can see two guards atop them, one slumped against the battlements pierced through with a javelin. The other looks to be hiding, none too successfully, a look of pure terror on his face. Mist pours through the town's open gate where, from the armoured corpses scattered, the guards attempted to hold their own but failed. Through the open gate you catch flashes of small creatures that
    have dark blue skin and large, orange eyes. As a bell begins to toll from inside the town, you can make out a silhouette of one of the creatures where the mist is thickest dragging a net-bound citizen toward the opening in the wall. Sounds of panic abound from within the plaza. Your approach has not yet been noticed amongst the chaos.

    GM: You have a surprise action before initiative begins. When you post up also make an initiative roll for next round. If you engage, hopefully you'll have a better view of the plaza when round 1 begins.


    OOC
    Not really sure how people upload the map images ... Image links seem to be url so I have to upload it someone else on the internet?

    Any advice/help from anyone reading this post would be appreciated. For now I've just uploaded an image from my computer ... I'll see how that works out once I hit save.

    Edit: Okay,upload has worked. Image is a bit small. Still not sure of the sizes EnWorld can take. It will be a bit bigger for proper start of round 1.

    By the way let me know if you have an image you want for your PC. @Daeja There is no image of Zuri on your wiki sheet so i took the liberty of finding one for her token. She is at A9


    Perception DC 22; Active
    You spot a second creature searching around the area looking for someone to stab at H12

    Terrain
    Mist: The area on the inside of the gate is lightly obscured. But anything beyond that until you breach the walls is heavily obscured.

    Walls: These stone fortifications are 20 feet high (Athletics DC 20 to climb), topped with crenellated walkways. The crenellations are 3 feet high. Ladders lead up to both walkways on either side of the gate opening.

    Gate: The gate is a wooden portcullis presently locked in the up position 10 feet off the ground.

    Combat Details

    Blue Skinned Creature in the Mist at I9: AC 15 Fort 12 Ref 13 Will 13 (currently obscured -2 to attacks)

    Dead Guard at E12
    Wounded Guard hiding at F5
    Townsfolk being dragged in net at J8
    Tom at C8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crystalbrook rnd 1 copy.jpg  
    Last edited by jbear; Friday, 22nd June, 2012 at 05:34 AM.
    'I am a predator...the predator improves the race...I kill but not out of hate.'
    Frank Herbert: Emperor God of Dune

  • #240
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    147

    Ignore Daeja
    Perception Roll

    "This looks...terrible," Zuri scowls at the state of the town. No welcoming committee here, she adds softly (and unnecessarily), "We must help them." She swings down off her horse, even as she raises her hand crossbow to point at a second creature lurking in the mist.

    Surprise Round

    Zuri will her surprise action to free dismount, and Disheartening Strike @ the second creature

    1d20+6 → [10,6] = (16) ** I forgot to subtract 2 for the mist obscurring him, so creature had presumed AC of 15, my total was 14 = MISS!

    Her bolt disappears into the mist.
    With a frustrated moue, Zuri wonders what's causing the mist, and whether this is an escalated response to the revenge Tom spoke of....
    Initiative Roll

    OOC: Editing in because Son of Meepo pointed out I missed the surprise bonus, so Zuri's shot would have hit....

    Little does Zuri realize that her aim was true! The bolt strikes the second creature!
    Damage
    Damage on Disheartening Strike is 1d6+4 → [5,4] = (9) PLus sneak attack damage = 2d6+2 → [1,5,2] = (8) For a total of 17. And the creature takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn, unless it's immune to fear.
    Last edited by Daeja; Friday, 22nd June, 2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Because I forget everything.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 24 of 153 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 74 124 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. [OOC Discussion] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge??)
      By jbear in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 614
      Last Post: Yesterday, 12:10 AM
    2. The Jade Frontier, part 2 (DM: THB, Judge: Lord Sessadore)
      By TwoHeadsBarking in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 946
      Last Post: Saturday, 21st August, 2010, 03:44 PM
    3. Replies: 1187
      Last Post: Sunday, 28th February, 2010, 12:39 AM
    4. The Jade Frontier (DM: Ukingsken, Judge: Lord Sessadore)
      By ukingsken in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 997
      Last Post: Sunday, 6th December, 2009, 09:59 PM
    5. Blight Makes Right (DM: TwoHeadsBarking. Judge: Lord Sessadore)
      By TwoHeadsBarking in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 418
      Last Post: Sunday, 29th November, 2009, 08:48 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •