[LPF] Faith and Good Works

Systole

First Post
The food is hearty, but somewhat bland, truth be told. The dwarves wait patiently through the party's meal, murmuring very quietly among themselves. About halfway through the meal, a messenger arrives with a sack of gold and a map case containing dozens of geological surveys, mining maps, and a smattering of old parchments that all but have "HERE BE DRAGGYNES" written across large swathes. Renlow appears to have erred on the side of caution when it comes to maps that might aid you in your search.

GM: The dwarves are still waiting for tales and news. Going through the provided maps will take at least a couple hours, and I'll need Perception OR K:Geography when you do, with K:Geo having the lower DC. It's not necessary for you to make this roll in your next post, and (hint hint) you might not want to, given that you still have an expectant audience. And you've still got the Writings of the Architect to look over.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Orlando pushes his mug to one side and stands up. He gives a slight bow to the gathered dwarves.

"Sorry to make you wait. And now, since I have finished and my friend is still feeding himself I can share the news from Venza. Like you, we have had our share of troubles; these creatures that terrorize your mountains have been crashing parties in the City of Glass. From what I hear they do not fancy the dancing...

...and then Commander Parsnip stopped by the next day to give the city's unofficial thank you to the handsome, civic-minded hero for foiling the Rhat'matanis pesh plot. Of course, there was no proof Rhat'matanis was involved but then, it doesn't take a genius to know that raw pesh is harvested from plants grown in their arid expanses and that the Tesh envy Venza's prosperity."

He laughs hoarsely and takes a last swig of ale from his mug.

"Now I really must give my voice a chance to recover and Master Hydref a chance to tell the news from down Irthos way. Another ale would be just the thing for my weary voice..."

[sblock=OOC]Fury makes the telling of Venza's news as entertaining as possible...
K (local) (1st roll), for knowing newsworthy stories, then Perform (oratory) to tell the news in an entertaining manner: 1d20+12=26, 1d20+13=32[/sblock]

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 5 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +10

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 56 Current: 54
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +3 Ref: +13 Will: +5

In Hand:

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Bren pushes his bowl away with an obvious show of reluctance, wipes his mouth carefully and stands. "Mmmm, that really is an excellent stew! Just the thing after a week on the road from Irthos. OK, all the news that's fit to tell from our lovely little valley . . . I'm glad you mentioned Rhat'matanis, my friend," he says with a nod to Fury. "The struggles between Rorn and the Empire continue unabated . . ." The priest's recitation is not nearly so dramatic as was Fury's, but his personality keeps it from putting the dwarves to sleep at least. "And finally, the daughter and heir of the chief of the HaGruut clan to the NorthWest of here has mysteriously disappeared. The clan-chief has put it about that she's gone on her . . . walkabout? But we're not sure if that's the case or if there's something more sinister behind her absence."

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 Flat-Footed, 19 Touch)
HP: 46/56
CMB: +7 CMD: 29 (+9/31 vs Grapple)
Fort: +10 Reflex: +07 Will: +16

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (03/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (07/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (04/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (05/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (01/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Divine Favor, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

[sblock=OOC]I musta failed on secondary Fort Save too and suffered 3 Con & 3 Str Damage and I am still resting to get back to full strength. Nasty disease.

I am starting to slowly catch up so posting lite, sorry.[/sblock]Cythera is not one for telling stories and she listens to the other two, applauding and smiling encouragingly at their tales.

She says, "Very nice, gentlemen. Now perhaps I shall not have to dance with the veil."

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 24 (21 flat-footed, 15 Touch) 26 With
HP: 64 Current: 65
CMB: +10 CMD: 25 (26 vs. Sundering) Fort: +7 Reflex: +9 Will: +7
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop

Current Weapon in Hand: none
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 7/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 4/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5 Reflex: +5 Will: +1[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

Systole

First Post
The dwarves seem more than content with Bren's and Fury's tales, not waiting for or apparently even expecting Cythera to add anything -- the society here is entirely patriarchal. The men split into small groups, discussing the news in low murmurs, while serving wenches bring food and ale to them now that the travelers have eaten. A knot of nosy older dwarves hovers near the party, apparently hoping to eavesdrop on more of the travelers' conversation. And several of the men keep glancing at the map case with poorly disguised curiosity.

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Cythera looks at the curious old curmudgeonly dwarves that are looking to be nosy.

She says, "Good evening, gentlemen. If you are interested, we going to look over these maps to determine where the aberrations are coming from. You are welcome to help us."

Since she and her companions are looking for some local assistance, she has no qualms about discussing the maps and sightings if they are willing to help.

Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop

Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)

Carak
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5 Reflex: +5 Will: +1[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

Systole

First Post
[sblock=GM]Cythera casts Summon Swarm of Dwarven Retirees VI.

The bad news: DCs for your Perception or K:Geography rolls have increased.

The good news: You may also make a Sense Motive check to differentiate potentially useful information from the small talk of bored old men.[/sblock]

Needing no further encouragement, the gaggle of old dwarves opens up the map case and begins spreading various parchements out across the tables. Immediately, a half dozen different conversations and arguments erupt.

"Cor, what d'ye suppose they said to young Renlow to get him to drag these out of the attic?"

"Ho, Ragnar ... they've got the map of old shaft 17, here! What memories, eh? Remember that toss we had over Gerta?"

"Ha! I've still got the scar where ye hit me with the mug, ye pluig! Whoa, now ... Banadd's Cave. It's missing that side-passage, though."

"There weren't no side-passage, Tafd. That were yer bad eyes mistaking a shadow."

"Bollocks! It were a side-passage or I'm the son of a kobold!"

"Look, it's the double-X tomb. That was where ye got knifed, weren't it, Arsenalt?"

perrinmiller

Adventurer

OOC: If we end up postponing our own research, can we unring the bell?
Cythera looks slightly sheepish at her two companions and realizes that inviting the old men was perhaps a mistake. Since they are so absorbed in their won conversations, she pulls her companions to the side for a quiet conversation.

"We are not going to get any serious work done with all of them trying to help. However, if we just listen for a while, we might learn something from their stories."

"Once we have had enough, we can pack up everything and retire to our rooms, meeting up in one of them to actually look things over with some privacy. What do think?"

Sense Motive (1d20+6=14)

Carak

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Sure, Cythera, sure."

Orlando doesn't seem perturbed in the slightest by the influx of old dwarven men. He just listens and tosses in a comment here and there to keep them talking; not that they seem to need it any.

"A mug! I hope to all the gods it was empty..."

He'll also try to skim through the book they got from Ben to find relevant passages about where the Architect's tomb is located and he'll occasionally look at the maps to see if he can find a spot that might match. He can't make heads nor tails of the maps so he decides to ask the local experts.

"Sirs, I have to admit: I don't have the best eye for reading a map. Damned poor, really. So, I'll have to ask your expert advice. You ever hear of something called the Architect's Tomb? Markings on the weapons those foul creatures were carrying indicate they came from there; or at the least, raided the place."

[sblock=OOC]
Sense Motive: 1d20+13=15
Perception: 1d20+10=28
K (geography): 1d20=4
Diplomacy (info gathering): 1d20+14=30[/sblock]

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 5 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +10

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 56 Current: 54
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +3 Ref: +13 Will: +5

In Hand:

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
One of the younger members of the group of old dwarves approaches the travelers and studies them for a long time. Other elder dwarfs have referred to him as Arsenalt, and there was something about an old stab wound as well. This close, it's easy to see the stab wound they were talking about: there's a vicious three-inch scar just below his right ear, and a slightly smaller mark on the opposite side of his neck, just above his shoulder. It appears that years ago he was stabbed in his neck, straight from one side through to the other. Surviving such a wound would have required an incredible strength of will, or a miracle, or both.

He nods, finally. "You're not them," he says. When he speaks, his voice is a rasp, a testament to the severity of the injury. The rest of the tavern quiets down down in order to hear him. He considers another moment, then appears to reach a decision. "I'll tell you, then. The Architect's Tomb is here." He taps a finger on one of the maps, on a spot marked XX.

"Fifty years ago, there was a group of travelers -- humans -- who came to town, looking for a tomb that wasn't of dwarven make. Back then I was the best mountaineer in these parts. Maybe I still am." There are nods of affirmation around the room. "I knew the place they were talking about, except the mark on this map, this is a mistake. It's a copy of a older map, I think, that had the original mark on it, and the mapmaker just copied what made sense to him. The marks in the tomb were different. Like this." He takes a piece of chalk and draws a mark on one of the tables.

Symbol.png

"I led them to the tomb. There was a lock with three keyholes. And there were ghosts who guarded the keys to the lock. You stepped into a cage and the ghosts turned real. And the man who led them, he sent his soldiers into the cages, over and over again, and the ghosts slaughtered them. The man, there was no humanity to him, and I was terrified, like I've never been before or since, and I don't know whether it was him or the ghosts that was worse. Him, I think. The ghosts at least stayed in their cages.

"And when there were no more men to send into the cages, and the ghosts still had the keys, I turned to the man and asked him if I should lead him back to town. And he said -- and I remember this, every word -- he said, 'No, I do not need to return to town, but you can still serve a purpose.' And then he swung and gave me this," he says, pointing to his neck. "And when I was lying there dying, he said, 'Every drop of blood weakens his chains.' And he walked away.

"I blacked out then. I don't know how long I was out. I barely remember making it back to town." He breaks into a coughing fit, apparently having overstressed his damaged throat. "But I want to know ... to know what is in there ... that cost me this ..."

He stops, unable to speak further.

Arsenalt_150.jpg

... Arsenalt Hume ...

[sblock=GM]I should have called for Diplomacy rolls, too, but I forgot. My bad.

You have a limited number of additional questions you can ask Arsenalt, given how messed up his voice is. Choose wisely.

The writings of the Architect are below. They've also been added to the first post, for reference.[/sblock][sblock=The Writings of the Architect]Serroth has given to us that are three great forces of infantry: that of the berserk, that of the skirmisher, and that of the defender. Each is matched against its own, so that when like forces meet, only numbers or vigor will win the day. This is a poor strategy. It is far wiser to meet an army with that which it is most weak against. A commander who is stronger in the light of Serroth will endeavor first to know his enemy, and then to array against him such things as will most easily defeat him.

A force of skirmishers is greatest when placed against a force of defenders, as the armor of a defender needs must entail diminished maneuverability. This allows a force of skirmishers to strike and strike again at the flanks of the less mobile defenders. However, a force of skirmishers needs must fear a force of berserks, for a berserk’s great tactic is the charge, whereby they might easily run down and scatter a force of skirmishers. In such ways, a force of berserks is most strong when placed against a force of skirmishers, but its attacks are not so deadly when arrayed against the shields and tighter formation of a force of defenders, whose movement is but slow, and yet most inexorable, across the field of battle.

Be it known that I speak of no more than the disposition of infantry across the battlefield. Forces of archers and of cavalry add greater complexities in which the light of Serroth guides us also, but in ways more difficult to convey so simply. Most especially, is it unwise to neglect magery, for even a small working can oft turn the tide of battle.

Above all and before all, the greatest weapon a commander might bring to battle is knowledge, for even the greatest army will batter against a well-prepared enemy with little more effect than the tide on a sea-rock. It is oft the lack of one simple fact that turns a great army into a poor one, and a wise commander must know when his knowledge is incomplete, and where he may search in order to make his knowledge more complete.

Know this: Serroth sometimes speaks in a great voice to those who are our greatest prophets, but more often he whispers the small things to us – those things which win battles and rout our foes – if we only know to listen.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases