[LPF] Faith and Good Works

Systole

First Post
Bren is able to decipher a few more lines of text, but nothing that sheds any especially new light on the problem. The inscription says that the remains of the Architect are interred within, that he was the victor of many battles and a glorious prophet of Serroth, and that "only those who are wise in his words [and/or] strong in battle can pass within and claim victory." Or something to that effect. Bren is not entirely sure whose words are referred to; probably the Architect, maybe Serroth.

In the book that Ben provided, the Teachings of Serroth, there is a chapter on the Architect which Ben has thoughtfully bookmarked. Most of the writings detail the Architect's victories and tactics. There is only one place in which the Architect himself is directly quoted. Otherwise, all that the book has to say regarding the tomb is that he was killed in battle in the shadow of a mountain with two peaks and near an east-west chasm and a blue-colored lake, and that a tomb was made for him nearby.

[sblock=The Writings of the Architect]Serroth has given to us that are three great forces of infantry: that of the berserk, that of the skirmisher, and that of the defender. Each is matched against its own, so that when like forces meet, only numbers or vigor will win the day. This is a poor strategy. It is far wiser to meet an army with that which it is most weak against. A commander who is stronger in the light of Serroth will endeavor first to know his enemy, and then to array against him such things as will most easily defeat him.

A force of skirmishers is greatest when placed against a force of defenders, as the armor of a defender needs must entail diminished maneuverability. This allows a force of skirmishers to strike and strike again at the flanks of the less mobile defenders. However, a force of skirmishers needs must fear a force of berserks, for a berserk’s great tactic is the charge, whereby they might easily run down and scatter a force of skirmishers. In such ways, a force of berserks is most strong when placed against a force of skirmishers, but its attacks are not so deadly when arrayed against the shields and tighter formation of a force of defenders, whose movement is but slow, and yet most inexorable, across the field of battle.

Be it known that I speak of no more than the disposition of infantry across the battlefield. Forces of archers and of cavalry add greater complexities in which the light of Serroth guides us also, but in ways more difficult to convey so simply. Most especially, is it unwise to neglect magery, for even a small working can oft turn the tide of battle.

Above all and before all, the greatest weapon a commander might bring to battle is knowledge, for even the greatest army will batter against a well-prepared enemy with little more effect than the tide on a sea-rock. It is oft the lack of one simple fact that turns a great army into a poor one, and a wise commander must know when his knowledge is incomplete, and where he may search in order to make his knowledge more complete.

Know this: Serroth sometimes speaks in a great voice to those who are our greatest prophets, but more often he whispers the small things to us – those things which win battles and rout our foes – if we only know to listen.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Orlando nods at Cythera's suggestion to return to the Teachings of Serroth and digs the book out of his pack where he had stashed it the previous night after being interrupted from his readings by the gaggle of dwarven ancients.

"I got through a bit of it last night before we were swarmed by those helpful old beards and met Arsenalt. Here, that's the section, I think."

He points out the marked section and hands it over to Cythera to let her read the passages.

[sblock=OOC]Thanks for reposting that, Systole.

And, PM, I really enjoy the extra bit you add to your posts describing Carak's thought and actions.[/sblock]

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 5 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +10

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 56 Current: 56
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +3 Ref: +13 Will: +5

In Hand:

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

After reading the passage, Cythera shrugs, "Okay, we should keep that handy. Right now, I am not sure it helps at the entrance, but it is quite clear that we will probably need to read it once again deeper inside."

"Shall we-"

"Carak! Stop that."

The husky's nose was buried under his foreleg and into his own crotch. On hearing his name, he stops licking and lifts his head back up to stare at his mistress. All innocent looking.

With a look of consternation at being sidetracked, Cythera shakes her head. "Sorry, I lost track what I was thinking. Maybe we should just head inside. Me first? Or do you want to scout ahead, Fury?"

She pulls out the Ioun Torch and sets it spinning around Carak's head. The husky doesn't like it so much, but she has been training him during the journey and after a scolding he stops trying to snap at it.

OOC: Thanks, GE. I like being appreciated. :p
[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 24 (21 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +10 CMD: 25 (26 vs. Sundering) Fort: +7 Reflex: +9 Will: +7
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop

Current Weapon in Hand: Glaive
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 14/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 4/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5 Reflex: +5 Will: +1[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Bren looks at the Battle Dancer, a mischievous little half smile on his face. "Mmmm. I was thinking after the way I proved my mettle in our last fight I should lead off . . ."

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 Flat-Footed, 19 Touch)
HP: 56/56
CMB: +7 CMD: 29 (+9/31 vs Grapple)
Fort: +10 Reflex: +07 Will: +16

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (10/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (10/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (09/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (07/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (08/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Divine Favor, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
"If Bren wishes to scout..." Orlando shrugs. Then by all means, let's let the man scout. We'll be ready to jump in, just in case."

He grins and it's pretty clear that Orlando isn't trying to be offensive; arrogance just seems to be something that he's well-practiced at and has become habitual for the man. He draws his rapier, chants a few rote phrases and the thin blade begins to glow.

"I'm ready. Cythera, I'll take whatever position you prefer me to take."

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 5 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +10

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 56 Current: 56
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +3 Ref: +13 Will: +5

In Hand: rapier

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The man's beautiful golden skin takes on a slight copper hue as his smile falters at Orlando's words. "Oh, um . . ." He looks to Cythera in an obvious plea for "rescue."

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 Flat-Footed, 19 Touch)
HP: 56/56
CMB: +7 CMD: 29 (+9/31 vs Grapple)
Fort: +10 Reflex: +07 Will: +16

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (10/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (10/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (09/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (07/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (08/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Divine Favor, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera looks between the two men and then smiles, "Okay, then."

"Fury, perhaps you should be in front to look for potential traps. I will have Carak protect you and lend his nose to scent out things as you go."

"Bren and I will be right behind you, just in case."

"Please don't lead us into a pit trap that descends deep into the underdark."
She gives him a playful smirk, expecting him to be a professional at the task and she will not have to worry about it.

Looking down at her husky, she scratches him behind the ears and says in a friendly tone, "Yes, boy. You were useless in that fight yesterday so maybe you can at least help Fury today and earn your keep so I don't have to sell you to a mean ol' dwarf."

Carak wags his tail as he accepts the instructions, thinking his mistress is being nice instead of insulting.

In preparation of entering the tomb, Cythera starts repeatedly casting her Resistance cantrip on Carak. She will cast it on Fury and Bren as well if they need.

OOC: Assuming the passageway is wide enough for two abreast. If not, Fury, Carak, Cythera, Bren in single file
[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 24 (21 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +10 CMD: 25 (26 vs. Sundering) Fort: +7 Reflex: +9 Will: +7
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop

Current Weapon in Hand: Glaive
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 14/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 4/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Bren and Fury really aren't that far apart on the power scale. There is variance in the particulars, obviously, but for scouting Bren has 3-5 points more in Perception but about half the Ref save if he should trip something accidentally. If Bren finds something Fury can move up and try to disarm it. If combat comes up Cythera and Fury would move up asap anyway. So, whatever you want to do, M.

I was thinking Bren scouts then Cythera and Carak after with Fury pulling up rear guard. Or if the halls are wide enough put Cythera, Carak, and Fury in the second row so the entire formation is a sort of a triangle.

EDIT: If for rp reasons Bren doesn't want to scout, I'm fine with Fury doing it and using PMs order of march.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=OOC]Bren and Fury really aren't that far apart on the power scale. There is variance in the particulars, obviously, but for scouting Bren has 3-5 points more in Perception but about half the Ref save if he should trip something accidentally. If Bren finds something Fury can move up and try to disarm it. If combat comes up Cythera and Fury would move up asap anyway. So, whatever you want to do, M.

I was thinking Bren scouts then Cythera and Carak after with Fury pulling up rear guard. Or if the halls are wide enough put Cythera, Carak, and Fury in the second row so the entire formation is a sort of a triangle.

EDIT: If for rp reasons Bren doesn't want to scout, I'm fine with Fury doing it and using PMs order of march.[/sblock]

OOC: Not sure if I ninja'd you or not, GE. But if you guys want to change it, I am fine.

OOC: I'm fine either way, and Bren will scout if the others encourage him to. He just lacks confidence - it's really his first time out of the monastery since he was a bullied little kid, and the fight yesterday rattled him.

Remove ads