[LPF] Faith and Good Works

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Seems logical that those are the bodies that Arsenalt spoke about. Yet, I don't see the cages. I'd think they would pull the bodies out of the cages and leave 'em lie, since he was an evil bastard and all, rather than dragging them back to this main chamber."

Orlando runs his fingers along the framing of the door looking for triggers that might activate the door or traps guarding the door.

"But you're probably right about the archways... Find anything over there, Bren?"

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 5 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +10

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 56 Current: 56
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +3 Ref: +13 Will: +5

In Hand: rapier

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Bren's examination of the bodies finds that most of them seem to have died from some sort of piercing weapon, from what he can make out from damage to their armor and bones. None of the wounds seem as though they would have been immediately fatal. Most look like punctured lungs or damaged arteries -- wounds that would have allowed a victim to survive a few minutes before expiring. It's difficult to tell how old the bodies are, given how the cool, dry mountain air tends to preserve things. Fifty or a hundred years would seem to be a good bet for most of them, although some of them seem considerably older than that.

The door is an impressive, ornate affair, with three keyholes inset into it. The door obviously requires all of them to open. Examination of the locks shows that the workmanship is exquisite, but it's just possible that they're within Fury's ability to pick. More worrisome is that there is some sort of magical alarm on the door, and traceries of that magic extend through the three archways. The alarm is definitely beyond Fury's ability to handle.

As everyone mores through the room, you can occasionally see slight shimmers through the archways, like light reflecting off a pane of glass.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"Good call, m'lady . . . most of these bodies are probably 50 to 100 years old. Some are likely older even than that. All perished due to blows from a piercing weapon, and none of them quickly."

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 Flat-Footed, 19 Touch)
HP: 56/56
CMB: +7 CMD: 29 (+9/31 vs Grapple)
Fort: +10 Reflex: +07 Will: +16

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (10/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (10/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (09/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (07/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (08/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Divine Favor, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera nods and wonders aloud, "Do you guys think that those ghosts did the killing? I guess they could have just dragged them back here to be out of the way. I don't imagine that villain we heard about would have bothered cleaning up more than this."

"Maybe the cages are through each of the archways? Though, I am curious what that slight shimmering is."

She gestures at the archways and the pane of glass effects. The dragon disciple casts her Detect Magic cantrip and looks around.

Carak doesn't answer his mistress, unimpressed with her musings and sniffs at the dead bodies, contemplating if he should mark his territory or not.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 24 (21 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +10 CMD: 25 (26 vs. Sundering) Fort: +7 Reflex: +9 Will: +7
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop

Current Weapon in Hand: Glaive
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 14/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 4/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

GlassEye

Adventurer
Orlando steps back from the door still staring at it which causes a crease between his brows. He points at the door with a long metal probe then taps it in the palm of his hand and shakes his head.

"Three locks, which I might be able to pick. Or not. Odds are about even whether I can manage it or not; I'm not ashamed to say. The traps are magical and beyond my capability. Some sort of magic leading from the locks to the archways. See, here? Worrisome." Orlando turns to gaze thoughtfully at his two companions in this endeaver. His head tilts a bit and his lips purse and he is clearly thinking something.

"So, the archways are the cages. They are just locked up with magic somehow. I can't help but think that passage about the three troop types relevant here... You see what you can see with your magical sight, Cythera, I'm going to look at the mural for clues though Bren, you might be better suited with your temple education. Bit more useful than the wisdom of the streets in this situation, I'd wager."

Orlando steps gingerly over to muse at the mural.

• Orlando Furioso •

Bard Spells
Spells Known:

Systole

First Post
Cythera finds that the door and the traceries of magic leading into the archways radiate abjuration magic -- not surprising given the Fury's assessment marks it as some sort of alarm. The continual light spells are, also unsurprisingly, a weak illusion magic. The shimmering through the archways is fairly robust evocation magic.

The mural is of a battlefield, where the forces of Serroth clash with a host of enemies. The centerpiece of the picture appears to be Serroth himself incarnate on the battlefield, his divine war-pick raised high, ready to visit righteous wrath upon the enemy. The style is flat and rather amateurish-looking, at least by modern standards.

GM: Perception check when you check the mural as well, please.

GlassEye

Adventurer
OOC: Added Perception in previous post...

"Well, I've seen better..."

Orlando continues to study the mural hoping he just missed something and that he'll pick out something relevant.

• Orlando Furioso •

Bard Spells
Spells Known:

Systole

First Post
As Fury examines the mural, he's struck by Serroth's expression. The god has been depicted in such a way to suggest that he's speaking. A glance at the other figures in the painting confirms it: all of the mortals are shown in mid-battlecry, or else their teeth are clenched in grim determination, and a few are crying out in their death-throes ... but only Serroth seems to be calmly speaking. The god's facial expression is at odds with his posture, which is in the midst of raining death upon the unrighteous.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The Aasimar wanders over to the mural at Fury's beckoning, looking it over carefully. After a few moments, he turns to the other man. "Sadly, Serroth was not one of the deities I studied closely. In fact, I'm ashamed to say that I found the more . . . physical . . . studies at the monastery far more interesting than the books and scrolls."

[sblock=OOC]I'm assuming my previous roll counts for studying the mural, as that was my intention. It was an 11.[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 Flat-Footed, 19 Touch)
HP: 56/56
CMB: +7 CMD: 29 (+9/31 vs Grapple)
Fort: +10 Reflex: +07 Will: +16

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (10/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (10/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (09/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (07/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (08/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Divine Favor, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera agrees with Fury, "Yes, I think you are correct. The archways are the entrance to the cages. I do not trust the magical auras there to be beneficial."

"Reviewing that passage we read, the writing suggest infantry types are countering each other in a circular pattern like a game of rock, paper, scissors. Three..."

"Something to that perhaps. Skirmishers, Berserks, Defenders. Hmmm."

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 24 (21 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +10 CMD: 25 (26 vs. Sundering) Fort: +7 Reflex: +9 Will: +7
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop

Current Weapon in Hand: Glaive
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 14/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 4/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

Remove ads