[LPF] Faith and Good Works

Systole

First Post
GM: Sorry if I was unclear. Off the main room, there are colored archways leading into colored hallways. At the end of the hallways, where they open into other rooms, there was a shimmering which you could see from the central chamber. Now that you're actually checking out the hallways, you can further ascertain that the shimmering is caused by a series of semitransparent magic veils. Nothing has changed.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury looks a bit puzzled but turns back to Cythera and Breninyr.

"I was sure this first bit was the trap Arsenault described. Looks like it is probably down this short hall. There's some writing, too; you should check it out Bren. I think it should be safe up to that point. As long as we don't cross the shimmering bit. Your magic eyes tell you anything about the shimmer, Cythera?"

OOC: No ranks in Linguistics

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 5 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +10

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 56 Current: 56
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +3 Ref: +13 Will: +5

In Hand:

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Responding to Fury's summons, Bren moves over to take a closer look a the writings mentioned.

Linguistics Check (1d20+4=20)

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 Flat-Footed, 19 Touch)
HP: 56/56
CMB: +7 CMD: 29 (+9/31 vs Grapple)
Fort: +10 Reflex: +07 Will: +16

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (10/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (10/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (09/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (07/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (08/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Divine Favor, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera enters the hallways again and activates the cantrip to study the shimmering curtain of magic blocking entrance to the chamber.

"So the name did not work, I guess. I agree that we are still dealing with this trap of cages. Just not a conventional cage, it would appear. I will keep watching the shimmering with my mage sight."

"Perhaps I can help you with the writings, Bren."

She looks and offers some advice on the symbols.

Aid Another Linguistics (1d20+5=16)
Cast & Maintain Detect Magic

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 24 (21 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +10 CMD: 25 (26 vs. Sundering) Fort: +7 Reflex: +9 Will: +7
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop

Current Weapon in Hand: Glaive
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 14/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 4/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

Systole

First Post
The writing is in the same archaic Landellian, but they seem to mostly be a set of simple instructions, and are somewhat easier to decipher than the prayers and bits of scripture carved near the front door. There are a few words whose meanings are not fully clear, but near as Bren and Cythera can determine, the carvings read thusly:

Step thou forward once to [enlist or muster?]. Step thou forward twice to [show readiness/deploy]. Step thou forward thrice to make war.

----------------------------------------------
Retreat thou from the field of battle and Serroth shall know thee as a [coward or traitor?] forevermore.

The veils radiate evocation magic. Cythera can catch fleeting glimpses of other magical sources within the room itself, but the veils obsure her magical sight beyond, making it impossible to determine what they are.

From this distance, the party can see that the outermost veil around the door looks visibly different from the inner, nearer two. It appears more solid, less shimmery.​

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Serroth forbid I be known as, ah, whatever that thing was you said."

Fury grins, shrugs, and steps forward in an attempt to cross the shimmering barrier and get a better look at the pedestal.

• Orlando Furioso •

In Hand:

Bard Spells
Spells Known:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera watches the brave, er... foolish? No, definitely brave, Fury attempt to enter the chamber.

"I wonder if you should not draw your weapon, Fury. Make like you are ready for war. Might be too late now, but I wonder if you should not have a shield. Like the statue."

Despite her suggestion, she doesn't have a shield to even lend to the roguish man.

OOC: Oh, snap! I think Cythera level-up way back on 20 July! Given her starting point & 1600XP from the combat encounter, she only needed 78 days to reach 34K. Fury has got to be close as well, probably leveled a few weeks ago.
[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 24 (21 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +10 CMD: 25 (26 vs. Sundering) Fort: +7 Reflex: +9 Will: +7
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop

Current Weapon in Hand: Glaive
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 14/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 4/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
As Fury steps across through the first magic veil, two figures flicker into existence in the center of the room. They are clearly some sort of magical constructs, humanoid but almot entirely featureless. Despite this, they are obviously sculpted as be shaped like human males with athletic builds. Both are down on one knee in a position that is not immediately threatening but that seems to suggest a readiness for action.

Through her magical sight, Cythera sees a corresponding alteration in the flow of magic, but the veils obscure further details.

Tomb_guardian_zps31ddb487.png

GM: Map's crappy, sorry. Will probably redo it when I have time.

[sblock=Map]
Gold_02_zpsa35835b7.jpg
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury looks back through the veil of magic and grins though there seems to be a decidedly manic, devil-may-care cast to it.

"Only way to go is forward and I'm pretty sure that'll lead to a scuffle. Once for presentation, twice for readiness, three for a fight. I'm up for a fight. What say we do a bit of dancing, Cythera? C'mon, Bren, a bit of exercise after all this mental stuff will do you good."

Not waiting for a response Fury takes a second step forward, through the second veil, and draws his magical ivory-hilt rapier and his specially weighted sap. He isn't sure the sap will be of use but the weight is reassuring in his hand nonetheless.

"Mansa Vail, Mansa Vail, what the hell do I know about Mansa Vail?"

He laughs and his eyes dart around the room and the two golden figures as he plans his next step forward.

[sblock=OOC Edit]By my calculations, two days until TBX gives Fury enough xp for 8th level (he was at the very bottom of 7th when we started). I'm ok with waiting to level if the adventure doesn't account for it.[/sblock]

• Orlando Furioso •

In Hand:

Bard Spells
Spells Known:

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
As Fury steps through the second veil, three things happen. The first is that the guardians rise to a standing and ready position. The second thing is that the outermost veil, which appeared less shimmery and more solid, takes on a more insubstantial appearance. The third thing is that the veil at the door becomes more solid -- impenetrable, in fact.

It seems those who constructed the Architect's tombs devised a way to prevent reinforcements from arriving after the battle conditions were set.

GM: The veils appears to be acting as a sort of airlock. Stepping into the forward half of the airlock makes the rear veil 'close' and the front veil 'open.'

Remove ads