[LPF] Faith and Good Works

Systole

First Post
The dwarves listen and watch appreciately, and even applaud wholeheartedly when the tale and the dance are done. A Venzan audience might have been more jaded, but out here in the mountains, it was entertainment without parallel. At the end, Arsenalt's eyes widen as you mention Darktail. He tries to speak but launches into a coughing fit. One of the other dwarves passes him a mug of ale and swallows a few gulps to calm his throat before he can speak. "Not ... not Darktail. Dark Talon. Heard them say it sometimes ... didn't know it was a name. Didn't know it was his name."

The night winds down and the next morning, there's small pouch of gems waiting for you. An attached note reads. Bounty money. Issued in gems for ease of travel. See the mine bursar if you want it converted to coin. -M.R.

There's also a sack that the innkeeper hands to Fury. The note on this one reads: If you're hunting Dark Talon, step more carefully than I did, lad. Good luck. The sack contains a pair of stylish but sturdy black boots of superior craftsmanship -- ones that Arsenalt himself was wearing the night before.

Leaving early in the morning, you make it back to the waygate before noon. Twice, you pass fresh wrathspawn tracks headed north as Renlow said, but you don't see any of the creatures. Passing through the waygate is just as noisy an ordeal from this side as it was from the other, and you arrive back in the woods outside Venza. Despite a feeling that someone or something is watching you on the trek back to the road, the walk is uneventful, and not long after reaching the road, you catch a ride on the wagon of a friendly teamster who seems happy enough to have you along just for the company. It's barely midafternoon when you arrive back at the Lower Guild. Mai Lin is in the yard, drilling the men. Oddly enough, one of the recruits looks familiar, but you can't exactly place his face. Which is odd, because it's certainly a memorable face -- one that was beaten thoroughly and repeatedly with the ugly stick, as it were. He seems to be the butt of a fair number of jokes from the other recruits.

Before you have achance to inquire who he is, you're shown into Ben's tiny office. The young cleric's eyes immediately light up. "Sir Fury, Lady Cythera, welcome back. And you, sir, I'm afraid I don't know. Let me introduce myself: I'm ... eh, well, it's better if you just call me Ben or introductions will take all morning. Did you find the Architect's tomb?"

Arsenalt_150.jpg
Mai_Lin_150.jpg
Ben_150.jpg

... Arsenalt Hume ............ Mai Lin ............. Benevolent Seeker .

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera introduces their companion, "Ben, this is Breninyr Hydref. His assistance proved invaluable in our investigation."

"You can rest assured that further wrathspawn invasions are unlikely. We managed to put a stop to the creation of more of the aberrations. But, there are some that still wander without clear purpose and are no longer much of issue."

"Unfortunately the Architect's Tomb was pretty much destroyed in their creation and there was not much we could have done to prevent that.Yet we did stop the crazy meglomaniac that was doing the creating.
"

She continues to relate the details of the events, an tale that is at least an hour in the telling.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 25 (22 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 87 Current: 87
CMB: +13 CMD: 28 (29 vs. Sundering) Fort: +8 Reflex: +9 Will: +8
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop, Bless (+1 Att)

Current Weapon in Hand: Glaive
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 14/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 5/5 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)
2nd Level 3/3 (Glitterdust(DC14), Minor Image, Gallant Inspiration)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Bren extends a hand in greeting as he's introduced. "A pleasure, Ben. Cytheria and Fury speak highly of you . . . nice to finally meet the man behind the name."

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 26 (23 Flat-Footed, 22 Touch)
HP: 32/62
CMB: +8 CMD: 26 (+10/28 Bull Rush)(+10/28 Grapple)
Fort: +11 Reflex: +08 Will: +17

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (03/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (07/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (08/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (06/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (05/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Chain of Perdition, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Orlando Furioso, Venzan bravo

Fury nods in support during Cythera's lengthy telling of events.

"Ben, this Dark Talon sounds like a nasty character. Have you heard the name?"

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 7 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +12

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 72 Current: 72
CMB: +8 CMD: 24 Fort: +4 Ref: +14 Will: +6

In Hand: rapier
Effects/Conditions:

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Ben touches the armor reverently. "Thank you for bringing this to me. It's terrible that the tomb was defiled, but I can't thank you enough for rescuing the relics. There is money in the coffers to pay you for your help and for the danger I put you through."

He turns pale as soon as you mention the name Dark Talon. "Dark Talon? Brother Dark Talon? Yes ... yes, I know him. He's one of the senior clerics of the Brotherhood of Serroth, maybe third or fourth in line for the position of Great Chaplain. Dark Talon of Baelan the Warhound. Uh, mythology-wise, Baelan is a cohort of Serroth's and that's where the name is from. Brother Dark Talon has a ... the pick he uses, it's always been rumored to be enchanted with necromantic magics ..." he trails off, obviously overwhelmed by the revelations. "I don't even know where to begin, but I ... I have to pursue this. I don't doubt you, but is there physical proof, or just the dwarf's word?"

Ben_150.jpg

. Benevolent Seeker .

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera nods and tells Ben about Rattegift and his journal, "So I think that corroborates what we learned from the dwarf. I seem to recall that you we suspected there was a traitor in the Brotherhood. I would say this is proof. You are welcome to the journal entries if you want them as evidence. I can swear an oath to the Architect as well if it will help."

"Do you want help dealing with him? We have danced this far, we are already involved and would like to see this through."

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 25 (22 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 87 Current: 87
CMB: +13 CMD: 28 (29 vs. Sundering) Fort: +8 Reflex: +9 Will: +8
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop, Bless (+1 Att)

Current Weapon in Hand: Glaive
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 14/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 5/5 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)
2nd Level 3/3 (Glitterdust(DC14), Minor Image, Gallant Inspiration)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Bren nods decisively as Cytheria speaks. "I'll need to check in with my embassy here in Venza, but if my superiors allow it I'd like to help as well."

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 26 (23 Flat-Footed, 22 Touch)
HP: 32/62
CMB: +8 CMD: 26 (+10/28 Bull Rush)(+10/28 Grapple)
Fort: +11 Reflex: +08 Will: +17

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (03/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (07/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (08/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (06/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (05/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Chain of Perdition, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=Systole]Could we have the XP and dates completed for the last two encounters? (#3 and #4 aren't listed in the opening post).Bren is at least level 11 now from TXP alone, but I need those awards and dates to get an accurate XP for him.[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Orlando Furioso, Venzan bravo

"We also have the note from Arsenalt Hume that names Dark Talon. Although that is still just his word I think his word is beyond reproach. His tale, and unhealing wound, matches quite closely the rumor you just told us. Too much so to be just coincidence." Fury glances to his companions, both of whom have pledged their continued support in resolving Ben's problem. "With Cythera and Breninyr willing you can count on my skills as well."

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 7 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +12

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 72 Current: 72
CMB: +8 CMD: 24 Fort: +4 Ref: +14 Will: +6

In Hand: rapier
Effects/Conditions:

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Ben considers this but shakes his head, still obviously trying to adjust to such revelations. "This has to be an internal matter ... for now, at least. I'll need to assemble the evidence and present to the Great Chaplain for a tribunal. Everything needs to be documented scrupulously and so we can understand why he did what he did and bring it out into the open." He shudders. "Sir Fury, I'll take the note that the dwarf ranger wrote, and the alchemist's information, and if you'll be in town for a few days, I'll send over a notary and a scribe to document what you found."

Outside, there's a commontion, and Mai Lin knocks and enters. "Sir, there's a ... person here to see you. He claims it's urgent." The distaste in her voice is clear.

"Extremely urgent!" a hawk-nosed man in wizard's robes says, attempting to push past the adjutant and getting a sharp elbow in his ribs for the trouble. "Oaf!" he snaps at her, wheezing from the blow. "It's about the journal. Rattegift's journal!" he calls into the room.

Ben looks at the party, then gives a brief nod and Mai Lin steps out of the way. The wizard steps in, straightening his robes. "Allow me to introduce myself, sirs and madame. I am Lak Nyssal of the Ljel School in Tritower, and to be perfectly up-front, we're interested in that journal you hold. To be more specific, we're interested in the machineries that Doktor Rattegift built. Our scryers have been experiencing strange portents for some months, but it was only last week that we tracked down the source of the disturbance. Unfortunately, by the time we'd gotten a delegation together, our scryers reported that a troupe of adventurers destroyed the doctor's work. All of it." He can't help but shoot a black look at Fury. "However, the scryers also reported that the aforementioned adventurers left with Rattegift's journal, which details his discoveries."

Ben frowns. "That journal contains information that the Brotherhood of Serroth desperately needs. And my understanding was that the doctor's methods were ... unsavory."

"To your first point, we don't need the journal itself. We'd simply like the opportunity to copy the schematics. The details of the doctor's life don't concern us. To your the second point, I agree that Rattegift's methods might have been unorthodox, but based on what we were able to see, we feel confident we could adapt his technologies to be more in line with modern ethics. Gods above, the advances he made could potentially better thousands or tens of thousands of lives! Rattegift's, uh, methodolgy doesn't change that."

Nyssal turns to you. "We can offer gold or gems, of course. We also have access to stores of magical equipment that would make the owner of the Mystic Pearl green with envy if only he knew. I can offer you almost anything you want ... weapons, armor, rings, wands, cloaks. You have only to name it. All we ask is a few hours with that book."

Ben shakes his head. "This offer feels unseemly to me, but we'll take the journal after he's done with it, if that is your choice."

[sblock=GM]Current xp totals are 76267 for Fury, 85598 for Cythera, 125320 for Bren. I think that's a level up for everyone if you want to get started.

Nyssal's offer is that he can provide magical items of up to 17,500gp value to you without you having to deal with the Mystic Pearl's craft time or availability chance. Otherwise, you're essentially just getting cash for this adventure. The total payout will be the same either way.[/sblock]

Mai_Lin_150.jpg
Ben_150.jpg
sneaky_wizard_150.png

....... Mai Lin ............. Benevolent Seeker ....... Lak Nyssal .......

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases