[OOC Discussion] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge??)

Daeja

Explorer
So...

Looking at the skill challenge parameters.. I'm thinking I'll have Zuri release a second prisoners with her minor, and then hope she gets lucky on the athletics DC 16 to move the prisoner off board -> otherwise, even using the AP, it looks like we can only get one prisoner *to* the edge of the ship.

We'll also need to release the grappling hook before the Dolphin can try to get away from the Junk.

Loving the sense of urgency I've developed over this skill challenge!

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
If others are ok with taking out the Captain and/or shugenja, I can help with prisoners. Or I can try to multitask; I can try tossing a dagger at the captain while working on freeing prisoners. Most of my class features are really best suited to supporting others, but I have to hit something to do so, usually.

The grappling hook is only one minor action chop away from coming free, and since the line is no longer tensed, it will be trivial to remove now (assuming nothing about our situation changes).

Yeah, this is a fun and exciting skill challenge. I wish I could get them to go this well in my regular IRL games...

Son of Meepo

First Post
Sorry, the map isn't helping me. I guess I need more direct answers to my questions.

1. If I stay where I am, what would I be able to target with a Close Blast 3 so that I don't also hit my allies with it?
  2. If I move laterally along the deck of the Dolphin, do my options change any?
  3. What if I move onto the junk?

Daeja

Explorer
Something that weirdly didn't click for me earlier... Better to use my standard action to hit the crew, presuming I can hit them, and then move the two squares... right? Because then we have damage to the crew + I move the same amount as if I'd double-moved.

Or, really, to attempt the acrobatics move, then attack if it fails, and get the extra move if the attack succeeds... So many options! :)

jbear

First Post
I'm assuming that it isn't going to be possible to target the crew with a blast power without hitting allies or prisoners. Can you confirm?
Hmmm ... risky business. If you like we can say you spend a minor action praying to Jove to protect your allies. Religion DC 19. If you fail then the answer is yes, you will possibly hit allies and or prisoners depending on your rolls with non-ally friendly blast powers.

If you succeed you receive a blessing from Jove and momentary control over the wind with your Astral Wind power and you can avoid allies with that singular attack (won't be the case in a proper combat).

So all you lose even if unsuccessful is a minor action.

Sound fair?

jbear

First Post
So...

Looking at the skill challenge parameters.. I'm thinking I'll have Zuri release a second prisoners with her minor, and then hope she gets lucky on the athletics DC 16 to move the prisoner off board -> otherwise, even using the AP, it looks like we can only get one prisoner *to* the edge of the ship.

We'll also need to release the grappling hook before the Dolphin can try to get away from the Junk.

Loving the sense of urgency I've developed over this skill challenge!
Hehe... I was wondering if anyone was going to remember about the grappling hook!

Son of Meepo

First Post
Hmmm ... risky business. If you like we can say you spend a minor action praying to Jove to protect your allies. Religion DC 19. If you fail then the answer is yes, you will possibly hit allies and or prisoners depending on your rolls with non-ally friendly blast powers.

If you succeed you receive a blessing from Jove and momentary control over the wind with your Astral Wind power and you can avoid allies with that singular attack (won't be the case in a proper combat).

So all you lose even if unsuccessful is a minor action.

Sound fair?

Sounds fair. Though I just realized I had a few more questions.

The blast pushes targets 1 square, so does that mean I should roll a save for one of the crew to not be pushed overboard?

Also, the other part of the effect is that if a creature so pushed moves closer to you, they take extra damage. How does that affect the crew, do I assume they take this extra damage at some point or do they stay pushed away from The Dolphin? If I deal that extra damage, does it trigger their vulnerability again?

I am probably going to move towards the opposite end of the ship so that I can be closer to the shugenga tower. Would I be able to hit the shugenge (with total cover) in addition to the tower, or just the tower? (EDIT: And if I can target him and I push him, is there a chance that he falls?)

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
If others are ok with taking out the Captain and/or shugenja, I can help with prisoners. Or I can try to multitask; I can try tossing a dagger at the captain while working on freeing prisoners. Most of my class features are really best suited to supporting others, but I have to hit something to do so, usually.

The grappling hook is only one minor action chop away from coming free, and since the line is no longer tensed, it will be trivial to remove now (assuming nothing about our situation changes).

Yeah, this is a fun and exciting skill challenge. I wish I could get them to go this well in my regular IRL games...
I think a key point for me to making Skill Challenges work is to have the successes and failures be achieved or failed when certain things are accomplished not by whether someone makes a roll high enough or not.

The former means you can have a crap roll but still succeed (eventually) and you can make the failures marked by certain events which the players can feel getting closer and so the urgency builds. So failed rolls really equate to the moment of failure coming closer without getting closer to the point of success. Basically it creates a tension, which is the whole point of D&D in my opinion.

If it's just based on whether you can pull off those rolls or not ...well, it just becames a game of 'what's my highest skill modifier? And what can I make up to justify me using that skill?'

Then mix in a good dose of deadly and let players have a chance to use combat powers creatively and it really pulls together.

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
Sounds fair. Though I just realized I had a few more questions.

The blast pushes targets 1 square, so does that mean I should roll a save for one of the crew to not be pushed overboard?

Also, the other part of the effect is that if a creature so pushed moves closer to you, they take extra damage. How does that affect the crew, do I assume they take this extra damage at some point or do they stay pushed away from The Dolphin? If I deal that extra damage, does it trigger their vulnerability again?

I am probably going to move towards the opposite end of the ship so that I can be closer to the shugenga tower. Would I be able to hit the shugenge (with total cover) in addition to the tower, or just the tower? (EDIT: And if I can target him and I push him, is there a chance that he falls?)
Re: Map

Yeah, that is pretty much where things are though, there is boat on the other side of the prisoners, but that is of no importance.

Boats are now side by side, so no gap.

Yes if you go for the tower you can blast the structure and the shugenja inside, blasts are good like that, they go through holes! Pushing the Shugenja over, I think that makes sense. He's dancing about in there not really expect to suddenly be shoved. So as the Push is ineffectual, in his case he will be dropped prone. Moving to that end would be a good idea. you could get off a blast at crew and tower and shugenja, and it is completely free of allies in that area. Option for prayer is open if you want to board and go after crew and captain in same blast of course.

Push 1, yeah roll 1 save. If it fails then +2 dmg (pushed 1 guy overboard). Extra damage won't trigger vulnerability or be reduced by damage reduction.

Is every empty space considered to have crew occupying it, yeah pretty much. Not really up the top at Wat's end, i.e. rows 1 and 2. So I guess you could pull off a blast that targets only crew without targeting any allies actually.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases