[OOC Discussion] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge??)

jbear

First Post
Yay! *Cheeks go rosy, warm fuzzy feeling begins to spread*

Re: Skill Challenges from The Smugger's Shiv: Yeah I've learnt heaps from Mewness (the DM) on how to run an awesome PbP game and do cool skill challenges, for which I am deeply greatful. So I hope I can put all that I've learnt into practice for you guys (with my own twist)!

Edit: I'm not home yet ... just waiting for my ride. Be home soon!!

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Thievery: I thought that might relate to rope work and adjusting sails and things.
Can I, or should I change my action then, or call the roll something else? None of my other applicable skills would do any better.

If you want I can edit so that my action is something else more consistent with what you had in mind.

jbear

First Post
Nah, don't worry, it hasn't had any effect negative or positive either way. I'd tend to say offering advice on deception would probably be a bluff roll.

So you all know how I am kind of thinking about the skills:

Anything to do with architecture, engineering, mechanics I put that under Dungeoneering.
Anything to do with ropes, knots, being fiddly or manually skilful I put under thievery.
Anything to do with climbing up the riggings, changing the sails etc. eithr acrobatics or athletics
Endurance: Any physical activity that you sustain over a long period of time

But these aren't hard and fast. If you come up with your own spin on the skill then no worries. As long as it matches up in a cool way to your PCs actions.

Edit: [MENTION=84680]treex[/MENTION] Sorry I forgot to mention that Themes has a +1 background bonus to all his skill rolls during this challenge as Themes is specifically a mariner.

Last edited:

treex

First Post
Luck is not on my side, guys. Even with an auto success from acrobatics, a +7 to nature and a nifty bonus I was not aware of until now (Mariner) for a pretty big +9 total I still rolled a natural 1.

Evil DMs would count that as a critical fumble and count it as two failures, hence twice in a row and the ship stops dead because Themes accidentally cut a rope or something (cue evil laughter)

Son of Meepo

First Post
I made a few minor action skill checks and them blasted the ship and its leaders pretty good.

I'm hoping the fact that the captain and first are dazed, prone, and 20 feet away from where they started is going to be enough to disrupt a chunk of what the junk is going to do this round.

If we can hit it with cannon fire, the junk will be disabled and then we can consider boarding them instead.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I'd considered cutting the grapple lines, but if we want to board them, that might be counter-productive. @jbear - [strike]what is the action economy like for disengaging the grapples? Either via removing them, or by just cutting the lines?[/strike] Nevermind :)

If someone thinks they need it, I can take a minor action and spend my racial encounter power to grant either a +2 to hit, or a +4 on a skill check. This will probably be far more effectively used on someone other than me, at least for now.

I can't do enough damage to get through the enemy caster's cover, nor is my to-hit good enough to get around said cover. Even with every bonus I can throw at it, I'm still going to need a 15+

Nobody is badly enough injured that it's worth spending one of my Skald's Aura heals, but should that change, anyone can spend the minor action to heal themselves a surge +1d6, or a minor action to do the same for an adjacent ally.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Found action economy for grapples.

Last edited:

treex

First Post
I'd still like to see what Themes sees. Also, I've realized that I'm a rather conservative player, quite dissimilar from what Themes is. Which isn't quite right: I save my potions, I use my items sparingly, I take cautious steps, I save at every turn; Themes is outgoing and doesn't afraid of anything. Odd...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases