Prose, Terminology, Fluff, & Presentation: Spreadsheets or Haiku?

Perspicacity

First Post
I really appreciate the tabular format. I do agree that the books must be more evocative that 4E, but I think more "fluff" while maintaining the tabular format, and presented as prose, is a good compromise.

Pointless. People aren't going to read the books to get "fluff" that is nothing more than a single italicized sentence in the middle of a table.

I really don't understand the whole fluff vs. crunch debate. I honestly can't think of a single rule that has stayed the same across the various definitions of D&D. It has always been the fluff that has made it D&D—fighters and clerics, elves and dwarves, etc. If it isn't the fluff, than D&D is nothing more than a brand name.

A

amerigoV

It took me awhile to put my finger on it, but with 4e the organization is what got to me. I really dislike having all the powers right with the class. It makes sense to have them there (everything you need to play the class), but it really bothered me. But why should it? In prior editions all the spells were together, all the feats and skills were together, so its not like having a big chunk of data together is new.

It dawned on me is I like having more of a synopsis of the classes so I can think about what I want to run before diving into the meat of the character (feats, skills, powers). The first time I opened up the 4e handbook I get to see Cleric (with 5 pages of prayers), Fighter (with 5 pages of maneuvers), Paladin (with 5 pages of maneuvers), Ranger (with 5 pages of maneuvers), Rogue (with 5 pages of maneuvers), and Wizard (with 5 pages of spells).

So I did not even see the class, I saw 30-50 pages of just powers when I thought I was thumbing through the classes.

Eventually I drifted to Savage Worlds but I still kept an eye out for anything 4e that might be interesting. So I bought 4e Darksun - I was always interested in the setting but I never got it back in the day. I sure wish I had looked at it in the bookstore vs. buying online - I would have never got it and just looked for a 2e version. I open it up, a couple pages on what Darksun is about (cool) then about 100 pages of powers and other crunch that added little to the flavor. One has to jump to around page 130 just to get to more Dark Sun goodies.

So its not just what is written and if the mechanics are clear, its also overall organization.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Either you misread me, or I misspoke. Either way, I certainly at no point intended to suggest that six-to-eight paragraphs were my preference for spells.

I posted an example of a spell. It was pretty short, no?

No, my article wasn't about length at all. It was about syntax and layout. It was about providing that info in a [scary!] paragraph, not a table of entries. That may include a sentence or three of description, but hardly an essay.

It's about mixing mechanics and prose, instead of ring fencing them lest they dare touch. And if that's a mite more difficult - well, I coped as a kid. Honestly, it's not that hard.

If you saw my article as promoting either (a) 8 paragraphs of fluff or (b) bady written unclear prose, then I apologise. That was the very opposite of my intent. To clarify: I would like clear, well-written, well-indexed prose with a hint of intermixed favour to stimulate the imagination without ring fencing it as a separate entity.

It might be a good idea to provide your version of the 4th edition Sleep written like the desired paragraph approach. How would you do it?

Fallstorm

First Post
Pointless. People aren't going to read the books to get "fluff" that is nothing more than a single italicized sentence in the middle of a table.

I really don't understand the whole fluff vs. crunch debate. I honestly can't think of a single rule that has stayed the same across the various definitions of D&D. It has always been the fluff that has made it D&D—fighters and clerics, elves and dwarves, etc. If it isn't the fluff, than D&D is nothing more than a brand name.

No, it has not always been the fluff that made DnD. Yes, the rules have changed between each edition of DnD but there have been those people who have always looked at the rules in each edition of the game and thought of various ways to implement those rules those rules at it applies to their game and their character. Immersion in the various settings has also been a tradition of the game, and I will not argue against that but the "crunch" factor has always been a magnet as well perhaps for some more than others, but then one can say the same about Deep Immersion role-playing, and if you really want to go back to the roots of DnD the game grew out of wargaming, which is rules and tactics based and even Gygax himself in an old Dragon magazine article entitled "Up on a Soap Box Role Vs. "Roll" playing" went on a spiel talking about the wargaming roots of DnD and how those gamers who derided rules lawyers, etc had it wrong because he never intended DnD to be a game of what he dubbed "amateur thespianism." So, in that regards if we look at how DnD over the years has become more tactical i.e., Unearthed Arcana and Oriental Adventure introduces new proficiency mechanics to the game, the 2E making NWP vs WP core and using multiattacks via fighters and then amping it up further via the 2E Player's Option line of books and finally leading to 3rd edition (and 3.5) that was heavy into tactics and now 4E which is even more tactics driven one can argue that DnD has in many ways gone back to its roots.

The OP has said this article isn't about crunch vs. fluff but really the presentation of the two but I felt a need to respond to your ideal that fluff is the core essentially of the game. Still, I think crunch and fluff can be presented in a way that will appeal to the majority of the people and Klaus and Warunsun (in post 83) earlier presented examples that I (who prefers the 4E style of presentation in DnD) would be willing to compromise to regarding my taste in for the game. I think it is true that 5E will not appeal to people who are unwilling to compromise at all ,like if someone claims the rules must be presented in 2E style or nothing at all for them to buy it (I mean there's no room to maneuver there), so of course it will fail to appeal to them, but then again those people probably aren't playing DnD or Pathfinder for that manner now so in some ways it is a non-sequiter if they don't buy the game.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It might be a good idea to provide your version of the 4th edition Sleep written like the desired paragraph approach. How would you do it?

If I could do that, I'd be writing my own 5E. I'm no writer, though. All I can do is express my preferences, just like the rest of us.

Perspicacity

First Post
No, it has not always been the fluff that made DnD. Yes, the rules have changed between each edition of DnD but there have been those people who have always looked...

I'm not trying to argue Role-playing vs Roll-playing, as either can be done in a fluff light campaign. I also understand that D&D started off as war-gaming, but I would like to point out that Gygax (and others), turned that war game into D&D by adding wizards and elves and such. Then he tweaked that game rules to better fit what happens when a wizards throws a fireball down a dungeon corridor as opposed to a siege engine attacking a castle wall. He essentially designed the rules around the fluff, not the other way around.

Which I think is what wrong with 4e. There were already alternate games with different rules that had various strengths and weaknesses. I admit I was not much of a fan of the rules-changes themselves, but after a year of trying and finally realizing I wasn't going to be able to play in the same worlds I loved playing and reading about as a kid, I just gave up.

As soon as the design team realized they would have to make up something like the the "spell-plague" to explain all the changes they were making in one of their worlds, they should have realized they were doing the wrong thing.

Fallstorm

First Post
I'm not trying to argue Role-playing vs Roll-playing, as either can be done in a fluff light campaign. I also understand that D&D started off as war-gaming, but I would like to point out that Gygax (and others), turned that war game into D&D by adding wizards and elves and such. Then he tweaked that game rules to better fit what happens when a wizards throws a fireball down a dungeon corridor as opposed to a siege engine attacking a castle wall. He essentially designed the rules around the fluff, not the other way around.

Which I think is what wrong with 4e. There were already alternate games with different rules that had various strengths and weaknesses. I admit I was not much of a fan of the rules-changes themselves, but after a year of trying and finally realizing I wasn't going to be able to play in the same worlds I loved playing and reading about as a kid, I just gave up.

As soon as the design team realized they would have to make up something like the the "spell-plague" to explain all the changes they were making in one of their worlds, they should have realized they were doing the wrong thing.

You keep talking about adding wizards and elves to the game like that was what added the fluff. It was a fantasy wargame, those are part of the genre. I will agree that perhaps Gygax designed the rules around the "fluff" in the sense that he designed the rules to mimic much of what he had read in fantasy, in particularly Sword and Sorcery, fiction but again it was the mechanics and being able to make up your own character within the rules of a systemic system that attracted people to DnD. That's the difference between DnD and Cowboys and Indians, DnD is essentially Cowboys and Indians but with rules present so you don't have the "I shot you your dead" "No, I'm not I ducked down in time to make you miss" arguments. Yes, those mechanics may have changed from being to determined by a DM to hit chart, to a THACO chart, to BAB or some such and the way your X type damage spell was described my have changed from all creatures in a 20 ft readious burst with a range of X amount of feet +10 ft/per level to area burst 3 within 20 squares but the overall point is the mechanics, the crunch of how building your character within the guidelines provided and with the various rules in mind is what is attractive (at least as equally as the fluff) to DnD...otherwise people would just play a fantasy version of cowboys and indians or some such. This is the reason why DnD as despite the various editions maintained being a class and level based system, because a class and level based system provides a clear and systemic way to measure the success of your character and creates a sense of accomplishment (no matter how illusory) that your character has achieved something mechanically and is getting mechanically stronger vs other games that say okay you used X skill this game so instead of a level you gain +1% point to X skill. The C&L system and heavy mechancis is what also made Pathfinder strong.

Secondly, the designers of 4th did write the rules with Fluff in mind. I will use FR specifically sense you mentioned the Spell Plague. The whole point of 4E from a world design perspective was "Points of Light". The heroes are brave beacons of hope in a time that is dark and perilous. FR, since mid-to-late 2E had gotten far away from this root. When FR first came out you had the Old Gray Box with the skeletal blood rider on the front pulling the woman's hair as they rode on horseback, the sky was covered with storm clouds in the background...FR was dark and gritty almost like the Word of Warhammer in tone but with more magic prevalent. Over the years it brightened up to the point as one designer put it FR was almsot like Keystone cops. It became ligher and more whimsical, you had the SEven Sisters, The magister, Khelben Black Staff Arunsun, Drizzt, and of course Elminster running around so no matter how "dark" things got in the world (like the Time of Troubles) it never really seemed that perilous or dark (not like the early Darkwalker on Moonshae novels) and 3.5 did nothing at all to change this. So, with 4E they needed something to tone done the lightness to talk Elminster and other NPCs more into the background and make the Realms more of a PoL game, hence the Spell plague was invented so the mechanics were made with the fluff in mind. So, is your problems with the mechanics of 4E or the fluff of 4E. If the problem is with both or you don't like one or the other that is fine, but to say this edition didn't do what other editiions did is in my opinion part of an ongoing issue of people romanticizing previous editions.

An example, of this would be earlier in this thread when someone mentioned how much more freedom you had in 2E and how 2E rules like THACO and such were not all that bad. I say this is a romanticization. I played 2E and still have the core books for that edition. I remember things like race/level limits in 2E. Humans were not allowed to multiclass. So, in 2E if I wanted to play a Fighter-Rogue like Conan (an iconic archetype of fantasy literature) as a human it was hard to do. You would have to dual class as a thief (although conan was a barbarian before he was a thief) up to a few levels and then dual class into Fighter (with the barbarian kit), but never ever be allowed to pick up rogue profiencies/ abilities anymore because the rules of dual classing stated once you switched into your new class you could never go back and pick up levels/abilities from the class you left Also most non-human races had level limits on how far they could progress in each class. If you used the optional rules presented in the 2E DMG it allowed certains races to progress a little further, but they were stilll caped. For example, (and I am just going from memory here as I don't feel like digging out my 2E DMG) Half Elf was the only 2E demihuman race, as they were then called, that was allowed under the expanded advancement rules to be unlimited in class advancement as they had unlimited advancement in the Bard class, but every other race maxed out around 12th level I believe. Clearly, these were not well designed rules.

Last edited:

sjap98

First Post
It took me awhile to put my finger on it, but with 4e the organization is what got to me. I really dislike having all the powers right with the class. It makes sense to have them there (everything you need to play the class), but it really bothered me. But why should it? In prior editions all the spells were together, all the feats and skills were together, so its not like having a big chunk of data together is new.

It dawned on me is I like having more of a synopsis of the classes so I can think about what I want to run before diving into the meat of the character (feats, skills, powers). The first time I opened up the 4e handbook I get to see Cleric (with 5 pages of prayers), Fighter (with 5 pages of maneuvers), Paladin (with 5 pages of maneuvers), Ranger (with 5 pages of maneuvers), Rogue (with 5 pages of maneuvers), and Wizard (with 5 pages of spells).

So I did not even see the class, I saw 30-50 pages of just powers when I thought I was thumbing through the classes.

So it"s not just what is written and if the mechanics are clear, its also overall organization.

Yes exactly!
4e is clear and concise, but there's something missing too, and you are spot on on what it is.

I'm all for clarity and ease of use (good job 4e!) but somehow, like you and other posters, I unconsciously missed something...some flavor maybe...

How to fix that? I have no idea.

When I read a 4e book (while it's straightforward info, and ready to use in play) I now see I have to push myself to read it, I'm not "gripped" Like I use to be with 1st and 2nd edition...( maybe it's me getting older, but I'd like to think it has nothing to do with that).

By the way this a great thread!

mxyzplk

Explorer
But, but... What if we could make an excel spreadsheet filled with haikus!?!

Just kidding, but that seems to be the default "I'm sure we can have it both ways" response we get from the D&D Next crew a lot.

Over time, I've gotten bored with even the Pathfinder degree of legalism, and absolutely flee from 4e's - I'd like to see it rolled back to 2e/core 3e at least, if not to Basic. We had just as much fun playing D&D then, with 1/10 the "power keywords" and other garbage that has been layered on in the name of "fairness" and "balance" but just serves to obscure the play experience.

My general table response to "I make a Perception check!" is "You fail," before their die hits the table. After a couple times they get into the groove.

An example, of this would be earlier in this thread when someone mentioned how much more freedom you had in 2E and how 2E rules like THACO and such were not all that bad. I say this is a romanticization. I played 2E and still have the core books for that edition. I remember things like race/level limits in 2E. Humans were not allowed to multiclass. So, in 2E if I wanted to play a Fighter-Rogue like Conan (an iconic archetype of fantasy literature) as a human it was hard to do. You would have to dual class as a thief (although conan was a barbarian before he was a thief) up to a few levels and then dual class into Fighter (with the barbarian kit), but never ever be allowed to pick up rogue profiencies/ abilities anymore because the rules of dual classing stated once you switched into your new class you could never go back and pick up levels/abilities from the class you left Also most non-human races had level limits on how far they could progress in each class. If you used the optional rules presented in the 2E DMG it allowed certains races to progress a little further, but they were stilll caped. For example, (and I am just going from memory here as I don't feel like digging out my 2E DMG) Half Elf was the only 2E demihuman race, as they were then called, that was allowed under the expanded advancement rules to be unlimited in class advancement as they had unlimited advancement in the Bard class, but every other race maxed out around 12th level I believe. Clearly, these were not well designed rules.

I like 2e a lot. Much more than 4E or 3e. THAC0 really isn't that hard and the mechanics overall i find much easier to use and remember than 3E. I don't think THAC0 is coming back though. I used to be one of those people who spoke about thac0 like it was some major stumbling block. Then after a long hiatus from 2E i ran a campaign again last year. Turned out ost of te stuff i thought was going to be difficult wasn't. Ended up prefering NWPs to 3e or 4e skills. Some of the restrictions are arbitray...we just ignored many of them and imposed xp penalties (but we were doing thisback in the 90s anyways). 2e had a pretty plain core, but it easily supported optional setting stuff like ravenloft, darksun and planescape. The phb and dmg were well organized and enjoyable to read certainly could use refinement ere or there. But on the whole nostalgia isn't what makes it good for me (in fact it initially prevented me frim giving the system a second chance). It really is a good game, and lacks most of the major issues i have with 3E or 4E.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases