My favorite heresy: mundane vs. mundane & magic vs. magic, please!

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I have a pet peeve that existed in multiple editions, I would like to see "corrected". Fat chance. But I am going to speak my peace.

When facing nonmagical but physically dangerous opponents, whom do you call first? The Wizard.

When facing a steeped in magic dangerous foe, whom do you call first? The Fighter.

The basic dynamic is that Wizards are extremely efficient at dishing it out when the opponents are magically weak. But magically powerful opponents like demons have so many layers of protection that spells are completely unreliable at doing anything at all.

IME it seems like fights involving very dangerous demons devolve into keeping the Fighter alive while he mindlessly whacks away with a sword. The more inherently magical the opponent the less important the Wizard's magic is likely to be.

Fighting a horde of orcs? It is almost not worth the Fighter getting out of bed in the morning. The Wizard spells are so efficient, so lethal, so reliable that a sword matters very little.

I am not really sure that this constitutes a balance problem. But I do think it is a weird flavor choice that I happen to find offputting. If you have an army to fight, shouldn't that be the job of the Fighter? If you have something weird and magical, isn't that the job for the Wizard?

I would further add, this seems counter to most "real world' mythical traditions. Incredibly potent magical beings have weaknesses. They follow rules that limit them. Rumplestilskin, the Genie in the Lamp could be commanded by those in on the secret. Devils could be summoned and service demanded, negotiated from them. Grendel's mother had a bane sword. Sauron had his One Ring. The more magical the being the more likely it is to have its limits, the more likely it would have reasons you should rely on the knowledge and skill of a Wizard and not a guy with a sharp stick.

Agree? Disagree?

Last edited:

I agree with the premise - I think Gary intended Fighters to be weak against magic and Wizards weak against steel. Which is why wizards have a poor AC and HP while fighters had terrible saves.

Whether this is good game design is debatable. Most people nowadays seem to think that a fighter should be "tough" - i.e. resistant to magic. And wizards have always developed ways around swords.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
Usually this goes to pot once the wizard realizes the dunce with the sword can't hit him when he's 60 feet in the air.

Seriously, breaking the nature of reality > swinging a sharp stick.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I agree with the premise - I think Gary intended Fighters to be weak against magic and Wizards weak against steel. Which is why wizards have a poor AC and HP while fighters had terrible saves.

Whether this is good game design is debatable. Most people nowadays seem to think that a fighter should be "tough" - i.e. resistant to magic. And wizards have always developed ways around swords.

I think you put your finger on the underlying contradiction.

Fighters hate being attacked by Wizards. Wizards hate being attacked by Fighters. Now if my Fighters can attack your Wizards and my Wizards attack your Fighters, I win.

At face value, that sounds pretty reasonable.

Where it becomes strange is when Wizards develop highly effective ways to avoid swords altogether. Then the designers feel obliged to add creatures that are inherently magical AND anti-magical into the mix such as demons (SR, spell immunities, energy resistances/immunities) just so the Wizards have things to worry about.

These were defensible enough incremental design decisions, but I think it ends up in a place that just does not feel right.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Usually this goes to pot once the wizard realizes the dunce with the sword can't hit him when he's 60 feet in the air.

Seriously, breaking the nature of reality > swinging a sharp stick.

Fighters and even monsters can have bows. But part of the problem is that Wizards have too easy a time figuring out how to avoid the swords. It is one of the reasons I am against Generalist Wizards as a sacred cow -- certain reliable tactics are too obvious and (almost) always accessible.

Perspicacity

First Post
Wizards should be more powerful than warriors, because wizards represent the superiority of intellect over mundane strength.

A lion is far superior to a human in a contest of physical might, yet our brains ensure that we humans are at the top of the food chain. It should be the same way between wizards and fighters.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Wizards should be more powerful than warriors, because wizards represent the superiority of intellect over mundane strength.

A lion is far superior to a human in a contest of physical might, yet our brains ensure that we humans are at the top of the food chain. It should be the same way between wizards and fighters.
So, basically, "suck it, fighter players?"

Perspicacity

First Post
So, basically, "suck it, fighter players?"

I've played D&D for quite a long time, and not once have I been in a group without a fighter. Whatever people have been crying about fighters getting the short end of the stick, they've been a very popular class.

Some people want to play a guy with a sword. They also want to play in a world where magic is feared.

Magic is a tool like a sword is a tool. But you don't use a sword to paint a house, and you don't use a wizard to kill a man. I mean, you could drown someone with paint, but the sword is much more efficient.

I'd love to run a campaign where all the spellcasters get tricky spells, and no attack spells. I would worry, though, about the fighter players not being able to show off their ingenuity.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases