One-handed Invokers ?

lightful

Explorer
What is an Invoker meant to hold in his off hand ? Then can't use shields and Dual Implement Spellcaster is Arcane only, while a weapon of some sort would be possible but not very useful seeing as how they don't actually make melee attacks ... I'll admit that the mental image of a scarred, grim, one handed man (or dwarf or whatever ...) calling down the wrath and judgment of the Gods is compelling and powerful but I think there should at least be an option for not playing an Invoker as necessarily crippled ...

Seriously though, it seems that Shamans and Druids are in the same boat ... possibly other classes as well, I havn't made a full analysis ...

What do Invokers and others hold in their off hand in your games ?

Incenjucar

Legend
Having a hand free means being able to use that hand for things without having to drop anything else. You have easy access to potions, alchemy, and so on. That said, you should at least have a spiked gauntlet on because hey sometimes a minion grants you an OA.

WOLead

First Post
Depends on the character/situation

Lanterns, Wonderous Items, alternate enchanted foci with a Daily power, Waterskin/Mug of Ale, one time a Leg of Lamb when attacked during a dinner and still eating it in combat, an Rhythm Blade Dagger +1 for a +1 AC/Ref Shield bonus, Staff of the Traveler to turn Shifts into Teleports, etc.

I've honestly had run into enough trouble not having a free hand in groups, leading me to get one with the Disembodied Hand more often then not on Warlocks. Especially when trying to move fast, and you need to do something like say ... open a door, flip a switch, grab that McGuffin, or even give the BBEG the bird.

Colmarr

First Post
Someone has to hold the the torch, lantern or sunrod.

Seriously. I've lost count of the number of times my players have looked blankly at each other when I ask who's holding (or has a spare hand for) the light source...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Don't Invokers have Staves as an option? If so, while using a staff as an implement only requires one hand, using one as a weapon requires two.

babinro

First Post
Potions. Mine has that bandolier of 6 potions belt for quick access to encounter ruining resistances.

Not being bogged down by needing both hands is a pretty big advantage.

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
I object to the idea that characters only using a single one-hander are "crippled". There is a lack of flexibility, sure, but most character/classes I've played or played with have only used one weapon or implement and done just fine.

I agree it could be nice to have the option, but I don't think it's a major detriment, for some of the reasons state above.

Trit

lightful

Explorer
Thank you for the replies :)

I certainly agree that having a free hand can be a huge boon in any number of situations ... many of which have been mentioned :)

I was just consulting with the group mind to make certain I hadn't overlooked anything glaringly obvious ... despite having played 4E for close to 2 years now I'm still feeling my way along a little and feel far less certain of "knowing" anything than I did with previous editions.

Thank you for your time and thoughts :)

Remove ads