When did the Fighter become "defender"?

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I would have to crunch the numbers to see how it impacts things, but a fighter at that level has something like nine bonus feats, so you would probably utilizing abilities like greater weapon specialization (+4 damage) and greater weapon focus (+2 attack), improved critical, greater two weapon fighting, etc. Not to mention stuff like great cleave or spirited charge (double damage on on mounted charge). That is just off the top of my head from the standard PHB. What is more the fighter is usually the ideal target for a lot of buffs. True these come form another class but you put those buffs on a fighter stacked with feats and heavy on HP, you have a real killing machine. I definitely think fighters could have been done better n 3e (and I really hate the rogue as striker concept) but a lot of this stuff is going to depend on the specifics of what you are facing. Against lower ac targets (and even at high levels those do show up) power attack on top of a fighter's other feats can be pretty devestating.

Not to mention feats like Monkey Grip. Nothing like running around with a large Scythe with a x4 crit mod. Robillard's Gambit is another fine fight for the fighter.

The little fighter posted above is missing way too much to even get a reading on, the to hit looks to be way off because fighters have some of the best to hit in the game. If your not facing a lot of undead and constructs then I would recommend a Brilliant Energy weapon to ignore a big piece of that AC. We have never ever had a problem with the fighter in our 3rd edition games.

B.T.

First Post
Neonchameleon is correct, but most people won't realize he is correct because the fighter is pretty good right up until levels 7-8, and most campaigns don't go further than that. Is the fighter underpowered? Yes. But in many campaigns, a few extra skill points would go a long ways to making him more viable.
A fighter at 17th level will have 5 iterative attacks, 17/12/7/2, assuming they have a +5 weapon of speed, they've got 6 attacks @ 22/22/17/12/7.
What. You best be adding at least +7 Strength on top of that. If we're going PHB-only fighter, he also has an additional +2 from the (awful) Weapon Focus line. +31/+31/+26/+21/+16. Going the conservative route (assuming a longsword + shield build even though it's bad), the fighter is doing something like 1d8+16 damage per swing. 17-24 damage is piddly (and one of the many reasons the fighter is awful), but the fighter has a fairly good chance of hitting 85%, 85%, 60%, 35%, 10%.

But let's take that fighter and optimize him for damage. He'll wield his longsword in two hands, which gives him a +12 Strength bonus to damage and let him use Power Attack in a not-terrible manner. If he takes a -2 penalty on attacks, his attack routine will go to 75%, 75%, 50%, 25%, 5%, and he will do 1d8 + 25 damage. 26-33 damage is more respectable, though still not great. However, against an AC 35 creature, the fighter is going to be doing an average of 67.85 damage per round. (Ignoring crits.) This is still awful, but far better than what you suggested.

Last edited:

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Neonchameleon is correct, but most people won't realize he is correct because the fighter is pretty good right up until levels 7-8, and most campaigns don't go further than that. Is the fighter underpowered? Yes. But in many campaigns, a few extra skill points would go a long ways to making him more viable.

Neonchameleon is not correct, he has an opinion which is neither right nor wrong. The fighter was never underpowered in our games. He was always the one who was doing continuous damage. Sometimes he wasn't doing the most but his continuous damage was reliable. Fighters don't have to worry about "spells per day" and needing to flank someone.

S

Sunseeker

I would have to crunch the numbers to see how it impacts things, but a fighter at that level has something like nine bonus feats, so you would probably utilizing abilities like greater weapon specialization (+4 damage) and greater weapon focus (+2 attack), improved critical, greater two weapon fighting, etc.
I took the two-weapon fighting into account in the attack bonus, otherwise it would be two higher.

Not to mention stuff like great cleave or spirited charge (double damage on on mounted charge).
Since the Rogue can only attack one target and I'm not assuming we have a Bag of Rats handy(plus it's been ruled out in Pathfinder), I just went with single-target damage. And I can't honestly think of many mounted fighter tropes. Also remember if we charge that's only allowing one attack, we'd need whatever that feat is to allow us multiple attacks on a charge. On a charge even with double damage we'd only do about 30 damage, assuming max damage.

That is just off the top of my head from the standard PHB. What is more the fighter is usually the ideal target for a lot of buffs. True these come form another class but you put those buffs on a fighter stacked with feats and heavy on HP, you have a real killing machine. I definitely think fighters could have been done better n 3e (and I really hate the rogue as striker concept) but a lot of this stuff is going to depend on the specifics of what you are facing. Against lower ac targets (and even at high levels those do show up) power attack on top of a fighter's other feats can be pretty devestating.
Well, when parties start buff stacking this starts to run into optimization territory. Do you have the bard for the luck bonus? The cleric for the other luck bonus? The weapon already gives an enchancement bonus, feat bonuses don't stack unless they explicitly say so. And then what, a druid for Greater Bulls Strength, Wizard for Enlarge Person?

Aside from demanding specific party comp as well as specific party builds(Wizard may not have prepared Enlarge Person today, ect...), this also makes the game INCREDIBLY fighter-centric. At some point it just becomes easier for all these 15th level walking nuclear bombs to go around nuking the enemy instead of buffing the fighter in a vain attempt to keep him up.

Even then we're only gaining what, an average of 15 points of damage? Putting the fighter up to a high average of 80? He's still being out-damaged by the rogue, the wizard, the druid, the cleric, the favored soul, and just about every other class that can wield a pointy weapon in the game.

pemerton

Legend
Ah... the Cleric Archer is a known overpowered build. It takes splatbook-diving

<snip>

Apparently this not being in the PHB is a problem.
I was just going on my recollection of what's in my 3E PHB. I'm sure that, with the right splats, just about anything is possible (just as it is in 4e, as we both know - cleric archery is the Sehanine build, isn't it?)

B.T.

First Post
Neonchameleon is not correct, he has an opinion which is neither right nor wrong. The fighter was never underpowered in our games. He was always the one who was doing continuous damage. Sometimes he wasn't doing the most but his continuous damage was reliable. Fighters don't have to worry about "spells per day" and needing to flank someone.
That you think Monkey Grip is a good feat makes me skeptical of your assessment.

Not to mention feats like Monkey Grip. Nothing like running around with a large Scythe with a x4 crit mod.

Fun? Yes. Optimised? No. A large scythe only increases damage from 2d4 to 2d6 but takes a 2 point penalty to hit. Turning 2 points of to hit into 2 points of damage is simply not worth it when compared to Power Attack. (Monkey Grip is only significantly more effective than a mandatory 2 point Power Attack if you can use it to turn a gargantuan scythe into a colossal one - or a huge greataxe or greatsword into a gargantuan one (or gargantuan into colossal)). The normal way to get weapon sizes that high is Greater Mighty Wallop (which, naturally, doesn't work on scythes as they aren't bludgeoning).

Robillard's Gambit is another fine fight for the fighter.
Now that one actually is, especially combined with Combat Reflexes and a good dex.

@shidaku , are you sure of your fighter? He seems to have no strength bonus?

Edit: [MENTION=84465]B.T.[/MENTION] There's a reason E6 is popular :) Fighters don't impress me at low levels (I like out of combat options) but they are viable. And although IMO the fighter's a fading force when third level spells turn up, the extra iterative attack keeps the fighter in play. It's a Linear Fighter/Quadratic Wizard scaling issue as usual.

Last edited:

2e Player

First Post
Fighters, if played well, are solid, competent killers in any version of the game that caps hit dice at a reasonable level (i.e. 2e or E6) and doesn't rely on strict minis rules for combat scenarios.

But the whole idea that the fighter's job is to 'tank' big bad evil guys is just laughable to me. This is not the fighter's job. The fighter's job is to bash the mooks while the invisible, flying, stoneskinned, polymorphed, spell turned wizard turns the big bad evil guy into a clock.

Tovec

Explorer
I've asked you already to tell me what bufs there were on the fighter. Because I've seen claims like this before. Last time I saw it, the buffs included Enlarge Person, Polymorph Any Object, Haste, Heroism, and several others. It therefore turned out that 75% of the damage being done by the fighter was actually thanks to the casters.
None of those spells were on her. I was the party cleric and as I recall, the only caster. We were playing 3.5, if it matters. Even if the fighter was getting boosts from the casters, which she wasn't, what does that matter. The fact remained that if I HAD boosted others or myself that fighter would still have been the powerhouse.

Why was the construct the real challenge? You're giving me anecdote and I want data. Every time I've investigated anecdotes like this the data turns out to show other things.

Give me math. Give me builds. Give me numbers.
I wasn't the DM and it has been several years so I don't have the stats on the creature or encounter. The construct was the problem because of its size, immunity to a boatload of things and was effectively a mini-BBEG of the campaign. We were around ECL 26 or so if I recall correctly. I must reiterate, it is very possible I may have killed it in the long run. However, the fighter killed it in a single-round unassisted without any buffs from me.

Because if the cleric was behaving as a healbot then you were right. That's a weak way to play the cleric. If the fighter was buffed to the nines, then you were allocating the effect of a whole pile of spells to the fighter.
I was a healer, a damned good one but as this was the opening round of this, supposedly, epic battle I had yet to use my healing on anyone.
You may have even tried to note that I have said I was responsible for doing cleanup, taking care of swaths of bad guys.. that could have been an actual argument as opposed to the "my magic was the fighter's real power" but even then the argument would have failed as they were effectively minions (by 4e's terms).

Ding, dong, the witch is dead. "Magic-guy" isn't a role. It's a catchall that describes absolutely nothing. Healer-guy was a trap. Skills-guy was another trap. And 'Defender' is exactly why you needed a fighter.

For that matter this was close top the 2e situation.
Oh, I always though magic-guy WAS a role, because merlin was one. My bad. I guess knight-guy isn't a role either.. silly arthur and your knights.[/sarcasm]
I didn't say that roles weren't meant to be a catchall. I merely said that in 3e the "roles" were along the lines of the concept of the character, like "magic-guy", as opposed to by build concept, like "I want to do X power because it is cool", things like that.
Healer-guy is a completely different topic, which I have contributed to as well. I'll let the whole "it is a trap" comment slide as it has nothing to do with fighters and defenders.
Why is skill-guy a trap? I am currently running a PF game where the players ADORE using their skills. They use them for everything they can. They roll a d20 while performing any action, expecting I tell them which skill they just used. The fighter and wizard in that game are often disappointed that the rogue gets so many.
Now, as far as the fighter = defender thing, that is the default position in 4e. It is what people expect the fighter to be. One has to work to change this disposition when making anything else. It seems odd in 4e if a fighter wants to use a bow but in 3e it was common place, that is my issue. I couldn't care less if the class role is called defender, tank or anything, though I would prefer no titular role at all.

You mean you can't use a high enough level of diplomacy for near-automatic mind control? Cry me a river. Also 4e doesn't make skills irrelevant with the right spell. It's just a rules-light system.
My point here was that everything associated with non-combat had the axe put to it in 4e. In 3e there were rules for EVERYTHING. Some people call this bloat, and it certainly was, but it was reassuring that I could find the rule somewhere if I wanted to go looking. The fact that things like social skills were all but removed from 4e struck a resounding blow that it would focus on combat. It may have touched on other areas but the book made it very clear that it was dealing with the combat "pillar" as opposed to "exploration" and "interaction".

B.T.

First Post
None of those spells were on her. I was the party cleric and as I recall, the only caster. We were playing 3.5, if it matters. Even if the fighter was getting boosts from the casters, which she wasn't, what does that matter. The fact remained that if I HAD boosted others or myself that fighter would still have been the powerhouse.
The point that Neonchameleon is trying to make is that the fighter's own power is insufficient without the assistance of others. Whereas the cleric can fight on his own (using his own resources), the fighter relies on others. From the description of the fight and the campaign--and from having seen descriptions of encounters like this in the past--I'm going to make three wild guesses at what happened.

1. The fighter had a custom DM artifact.

2. The creature you fought was not actually that powerful, and the fighter killing it was more a function of it being weak and less the fighter being strong.

3. The fighter had some splatbook cheese that allowed him to do insane damage on a charge.

Remove ads