If WotC deliver on all their promises...

If WotC deliver on all their promises, would you adopt 5e as your D&D of preference?

Argyle King

Legend
I'm undecided. Obviously, if they deliver on every promise, it should be a good game.

However, I need to know more about what the default style of play is. While I am aware it is a modular system, it still has a core base it is built upon, and I need to know a little more about what the essence of that core base is. Gritty or Wuxia? How much of a nod toward realism? How much did Gamma World 4E and the board games influence the design of the game (if at all)?

Other questions I would need to know: How good is 13th Age? What is going on over at Paizo? Pathfinder 2E?

D&D Durango might well turn out to be an excellent game, but it might also be an excellent game which has other excellent games to compete with. 'My D&D' could end up being 13th Age, a Paizo Pathfinder product, whatever Monte Cook's big announcement turns out to be, or something else entirely. Adopting Durango as my preferred version of D&D wouldn't necessarily mean it becomes #1 on my rpg shelf either. D&D Durango's goals (modularity being one) mean it shares some of the same space as a product from SJ Games which I feel is very good. There are too many variables for me to answer this poll in a meaningful way right now.

I play, and always have played, lots of systems from lots of companies.

Out of AD&D, 2nd, 3rd and 4th eds, there's one edition I found brave and interesting, one I found initially exciting but was quickly disenchanted, and two I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

So WotC 'delivering on its promises' doesn't automatically mean the game will be to my taste - DDN could turn out to be wildly better than the sum of its parts, an utter train wreck or something in between.

It won't ever be my 'de facto' system. I've never had one of those and don't intend to start now.

Dice4Hire

First Post
With an OP and poll choices full of finicky details, we are not allowed to do so, too?

Hardly seems fair.

But to answer, in lieu of voting, what promises? I have not seen many other than vague ones that are gonna be very hard to reach, and frankly, even if they do so, a lot of people would not believe if their deity of choice delivered it to them on a golden plate telling them this was the one true RPG.

I am sure WOTC will make a good game. What I do with it is up in the air, as I have not seen anything yet.

Could we not have these kind of posts till the playtest actually starts. There are so many of them cluttering this forum already.

RedShirtNo5.1

Explorer
You made me promises promises ...

What "promises" has WotC made?

If they deliver on the stated design goals then it is likely to become my preferred game.

Serendipity

Explorer
I don't really care if they deliver on some vague list of promises (that I have been increasingly unconcerned about keeping track of) - if the game appeals to what I want out of such a game, then I'll be interested, if not, then I won't care.
Maybe I misunderstood the question?

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
If they do what they initially said, and produce a nicely modular game that can adapt to a wide variety of playstyles, and do it well, then I will indeed switch and make it my "D&D of choice".

If they do what they've been talking about recently, now they've started to get into specifics... almost certainly not. The feeling I'm getting is that they're producing a nice, competent version of D&D, just not one that's "better enough" to convince me to switch.

FWIW, my current "D&D of choice" is 3.5e, but I'm finding myself fighting against the rules more and more.

Bluenose

Adventurer
I'll buy it. If I enjoy playing it I'll probably do so sometimes, depending on how the people I would play it with feel. If I like it enough it will become my first choice for D&D style games. On the other hand, some of the promises sound like ones that can't be kept without making a game I won't like very much. So while the theory of a game to sort all tastes interests me, I'm sceptical about the practicalities.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
The last promise I recall from WotC was 'no 4.5', and that was true. Even though the person who made it is no longer with the company.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't have a 'primary' D&D... or any RPG for that matter. I play any games that are available to play. D&DN will join that long and varied list, regardless of whether WotC does everything, some things, or few things that they wanted to deliver originally.

Remove ads