The Knight Watch

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
The Knight Watch

So after about a year off me and my guys are gaming again via Maptools- 4e but with an eye to the next gen, and a few house rules to keep us happy.

House Rules are basically MM3 damage x1.25- hefty, and monsters have a 25% reduction in hit points- short and violent combat. Stat blocks for all the monsters I'm using are available.

The backstory is-

The neophyte heroes are part of a new organisation- the Knight Watch. Six months ago Fallcrest’s High Council Member Eoffram Troyas let it be known throughout the Nentir Valley that Fallcrest was looking for heroes. He particularly wanted the myriad factions with the Vale to each volunteer someone to answer the call. Troyas has had some success before with a similar plan, employing adventuring groups to do investigative work within the city and the vale.

The idea is to train a group of individuals up to serve the city and the vale, it seems the adventurers they were formerly using have become less reliable- the Knight Watch will then be a loyal group of skilled individuals dedicated to protecting the land.

And so we begin the adventures of the Knight Watch...

Or rather, and I feel such a shill for doing this, we do over at Obsidian Portal, I promise you- it's very nice over there, with lots of pictures et al.

Go here for the show-

The Knight Watch | Obsidian Portal

We're three sessions in to the game, the action so far-

Prologue- Speeches and introductions from Eoffram Troyas, Captain Murgeddin and the myriad members of the Knight Watch.

Session 1- The PCs head on to the streets of Fallcrest to set up an ambush. A gang of ne’erdowells, including a trio of Half-Orcs are ambushed. They learn that a member of the Fallcrest Royal Household has been kidnapped.

Session 2- The Half-Orcs are interrogated, the kidnappers lair found and investigated, with much death and destruction. The Royal prisoner however can not be found- the PCs head out on to the streets to check their sources.

Session 3- The Half-Orc Gang Boss, the Butcher, is found and killed- his followers likewise put to the sword. The Royal prisoner is recovered, the PCs are feted (briefly) and rewarded, and brought back down to earth when they discover they are scheduled for guard duty the following day.

With many thanks to Piratecat whose 4e campaign put me back on track, and made me give 4e and D&D another go.

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
The House Rules

We've played 4e a lot, and most of us would agree that for Maptools and Skype it certainly works well, perhaps the best we've tried... but there are things which don't work so well.

Previous campaigns have been plagued by grind- combat that just goes on too long, and pressed for time we've mostly been playing through the WOTC core modules- so lots of pointless fights. Fed up with this, and in particular the Pyramid of Shadows which damn near killed any interest we had in the hobby, we've decided to try to fix the issues.

This is an ongoing project, things will change no doubt, this is where we are at at the moment-

1) No bought modules, I'm making everything from scratch- and it's proving remarkably easy, I know... I know... I should have done this from the start.

2) All monsters have 25% less hit points and do MM3 style damage plus an additional 25%, so they hit hard but roll over nice and easy. I can provide examples if people want, this has proven marvelously easy to put together using the CB. I did probably 50 or so monsters with re-flavour notes in an evening.

3) Every Encounter every PC has one Action Point, the maximum number of Action Points they can have is one- therefore they should use one every Encounter.

4) At the end of each Encounter I give out awards for roleplay- this is not a complex process, and nor do I give out lots of awards- although I may give out a bunch for a very difficult encounter. There are three awards- Bronze, Silver and Gold-

Bronze = +1
Silver = +2
Gold = +3

They can be used as bonuses to any dice roll, so if the PC misses by one, which seems to happen all the bloody time then providing they have a Bronze award they can turn a miss in to a hit. They can stack the bonuses, a higher award with a lower award, so the maximum is a +6 bonus generated from 1x Gold + 1x Silver + 1x Bronze.

These awards are all built in to the Macros on the tokens in Maptools so they're no bother.

And that's it.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Intro

These pages recount the adventures of a bunch of hardy souls as they battle their way through my latest campaign for 4th Edition D&D. The game is being played via Maptools and Skype.

The neophyte heroes are part of a new organisation- the Knight Watch. Six months ago Fallcrest's High Council Member Eoffram Troyas let it be known, throughout the Nentir Valley, that Fallcrest was looking for heroes. He particularly wanted the myriad factions within the Vale to volunteer one of their number to answer his call. Troyas has had some success before with a similar plan, employing adventuring groups to do investigative work within the city and the vale.

The High Council Member's idea is to train up a group of heroic individuals to serve the city and the vale, it seems the adventurer's formerly employed have become less reliable- the Knight Watch will then be a loyal group of skilled individuals dedicated to protecting the land.

The stars of this adventure are -

Jazz, a Male Changeling Bard Level 1 (Played by Zoki)

Morok, a Male Dwarf Battlerager Level 1 (Played by Simon)

Destructorr, a Male Warforged Fighter Level 1 (Played by Pishta)

Leodoor, a Male Elven Ranger Level 1 (Played by Christer)

Ayumu, a Male Elven Psion Level 1 (Played by Bob)

And so we begin the adventures of the Knight Watch

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Sorry for the lack of updates my computer died, and now after twice being repaired is finally up and running- fingers-crossed.

The Prologue

The City of Fallcrest, two months ago, sent out a general call to all settlements and organisations in the Nentir Vale- they need heroes. Various factions answered the call, and sent the best that they could, or at least from those that were available, or rather- expendable.

And so they came to Fallcrest, to join The Knight Watch, the brain-child of High Council Member Eoffram Troyas. The Knight Watch is an organisation trained to deal with dark forces that wish to infiltrate, or else plague, the city and the Nentir Vale beyond.

The new recruits arrived at the city and were shown to a secret(-ish) location beneath the Knight’s Gate Tower. There they met with Eoffram Troyas, and their new military adviser Captain Murgeddin of the Fallcrest Watch, speeches followed.

The secret(-ish) head quarters of the Knight Watch- note the PCs have chosen their rooms.

Eoffram addresses the assembled crowd-

“Welcome, I’m sure you all have many questions, but believe me it’s quicker if I tell you what I can first. To begin with introductions- I am Eoffram Troyas, High Council Member here in Fallcrest, a position of no little authority, but we don’t stand on ceremony here- I am Troyas, or Councilor; whichever you prefer.”

“And so, to begin with, a little history- some years ago, even before ‘The Time of Shadow*’, I had the notion that many of Fallcrest’s problems- bandits on the road, and in the streets; with organised crime, with smuggling and with worse, could be solved by hiring adventurers. My plan, such as it was, was met with scorn by the Council, initially- I was not a High Council Member then.”

“And so I resolved to fund the enterprise from my own purse- I hired a band of neophyte adventurers and set them to task… and what d’you know? Success, of sorts. That is to say Fallcrest’s troubles, were for a time at least, chased away. That first adventuring party, lead by a holy warrior by the name of Cathal, proved beyond doubt the efficacy of my idea. In fact the members of the first Knights of Fallcrest did more to solve this cities miseries than the Watch has ever done…”

Eoffram looks at Captain Murgeddin, the Dwarf bristles but keeps his peace.

Troyas goes on-

“I apologise Captain, but my meaning is not lost- and so for nigh on fifteen years now Fallcrest has employed adventurers to solve the problems of the city. For the most part this has proved to be a marvellous boon, and yet there have been problems. Adventurers it seems are, or rather can be, a law unto themselves…”

“In the past five or so years we have had a string of bad luck- some of the cities saviours have been little more than ruffians and sellswords, I… ahem, I digress- we have had our problems in short.”

“And so it has fallen to me to further shape and finesse my plan- which is where you fit in.”

“You represent the cream of youth, limitless potential- to do well, to make safe, to do right- to become saviours of the city, and if necessary the whole Nentir Vale. You represent the myriad organisations and groups within the city and the land.”

“You ought to be proud of yourselves- you above all have been chosen to join this elite organisation, we are replacing the adventurers in our employ, with you. That is to say in six months time, when your training is complete; you will be taking over their duties. In the next six months you will train harder than you have ever trained, learn new skills, master weapons, faith and spell.”

“This is a prestigious position, but it is one that comes with responsibilities, and no little reward- oh yes my friends, the pay is very good here. You will afforded food and shelter, resources, supplies and the expertise of your trainers, and be allowed to keep 90% of all items of monetary value you find while ‘on mission’.”

Eoffram stop a while to answer questions from the assembled crowd of heroes, and then moves on-

“Perhaps this would be a good time for you to introduce yourselves, and say- if you wish, which faction you represent. It would also be good if you stated your area of expertise… Warrior, or else Wizard, or Priest, or Thief, I mean… Scout! Please feel free to add a little detail, if you wish.”

And so in turn the heroes introduce themselves, next time.

*The Time of Shadow is the name given to a time fifteen years ago when the Feywild and Shadowfell combined leaked through into Fallcrest- the city was shrouded in gloom, wreathed by a rapidly growing plant life and beset by giant shadow-fey insect creatures… Oh and a thirty foot long Slug. These events were played out in our first campaign in the Nentir Vale- the Original Thursday Knights aka the Knights of Fallcrest (see above also).

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
The following individuals introduce themselves, neophyte members of the Knight Watch (to be).

Gorkash Versuvius, Male Dragonborn Paladin of Erathis

“I am Gorkash! Gorkash Versuvius- Paladin of Erathis, Knight Templar and Guardian of the Faith. I represent the church of Erathis in Fallcrest- I bring order to the chaos…”

Sahyalla, Male Eladrin Wizard from the Court of the River King (Feywild).

“I am Sahyalla, Eladrin and Wizard of the courts of the River King. I am from the place you call the Feywild- but while I am Fey, I am not wild- I seek to aid Fallcrest in this time of need.”

Netha Sharm, Female Elven Priestess of Sehanine

“I am Netha Sharm, Priest of Sehanine, I work- most times, here in the city of Fallcrest, although my faith has taken me on many journeys about the Vale. I pray that the spirit of the forest, and the flowers and the land- our holy mother Sehanine watches over this venture, for I see dark times ahead…”

Chuff Parsley, Male Halfling Druid from the Halfling Riverfolk.

“I am Chuff Parsley- you can call me ‘Chuff’, I have travelled the myriad waterways of the Vale- from the foul mires in the south to the great melt-water rivers of the north. Using my father’s barge as a base I have explored the wilderness and made friends of the flora and fauna of the Vale- I am a Druid, or at least on the pathway to such a profession. I have stepped ashore now- the life of the river is no longer for me. I wish to make my mark upon this land, this venture… I represent the Halfling Riverfolk, and I bring you a blessing, may life flow through each of you like the surging waters of the Nentir.”

Stilton Weasely aka ‘the Big Cheese’, Male Dwarven Rogue from Fallcrest Prison

“I am Stilton Weasely- aye, that Stilton Weasely- aka The Bad Cheese, Nasty Ched- sometimes known as Conman Bert (like camembert). I was a Thief in my previous life- but I have seen the error of my ways- ever-since I was arrested and offered a chance to join this mob or else a long stretch in chokey. I’ve changed, I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT. So, if’n you wants locks picking, traps spoiling, or folk stabbed in the back- then I’m yer Dwarf. But y’know, in a nice way.”

Garth Twisterwick, Gnome Sorcerer from the Trade Guild, Hammerfast

“I am Garth Twisterlick- quite a mouthfull, if you get my meaning- ladies! I am an Alchemist by trade- able to turn base metals into gleaming gold- by which I mean I use the fruits of the earth and the heaven, combined with my great skill to manufacture potions, phials and remedies… and people pay well. I am also a wielder of wild and mighty magics, a Sorcerer, but fear not my twitching fingers, while they pulse with power, are completely under my command. I have travelled here to offer my services on behalf of the Trades Guild of Hammerfast. I salute you all- and particularly you Eoffram Troyas for choosing me for this venture.”

Colly ‘Grit’ Mumbles, Male Dwarven Fighter from the Royal Guard, Hammerfast

“I am Colly Mumbles, Sgt Mumbles actually- ex of the Hammerfast Royal Guard. I am a Fighter- born and bred, stone and steel- forged in the peaks, burnt by the fire and cooled by the ice- I am the strength at the base of the mountain- I endure. They call me- Grit!”

Arthur Rance, Male Human Ranger of the Wild Wardens

“I am Arthur Rance, perhaps you have heard of me, but I doubt it- I have been travelling the paths and trails of the Nentir Valley for the last twelve long years. I was a woodsman in my former life- before my family were taken from me by a bunch of treacherous Goblin-scum. I swore then to avenge that terrible crime- I am a Ranger, and I hunt down and slay Goblins. I represent an organisation called the Wild Wardens, we travel in small groups patrolling the forests and hills of the Vale- keeping a close eye on the foul humanoids that make their home in the darker places of the land. I am happy to be joining this group… May Avandra bless our venture.”

Mistress Cleo, Female Human Psion of the Seamstresses Guild

“I am Mistress Cleo.I represent the… Umm, the Seamstresses Guild of the city… Silly!”

And when asked what sort of training she had, she replied-

“I’m a mindbender… Silly! A Psion.”

Garilon, Male Half-Elven Bard from Harkenwold.

“I am Garilon, my father a farmer of Harken, my mother a Wood Elf of Harken’s wild forests. I am here on behalf of the Wood Elves of Harken, and as a favour of the Lord of my land. I am skilled with both blade and bow- although I have the wit to tongue-tie my foe. I am a Bard, although my people prefer the term Skald- I sing the songs of the forest, of the harvest- I keep the lore alive, in peoples heads, and mouths and hearts.”

Raskall, Male Tiefling Warlock from House Azaer

“I am Raskall, demon-sired Warlock- I pact with my kin- I am fire and fury. I represent House Azaer in these matters- we trade between Fallcrest, Hammerfast and Harken. I seek to test my abilities!”

And the last unofficial member-

Mistress Crabby

“Meow!”

Oh and the PCs...

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
And now a brief intro to the PCs, and their motivations-

Ayumu, played by Bob-

Ayumu is an Elven Psion, a mind bender. He discovered his powers not too long ago, and is still mastering them. He loves nothing better than to move people and objects with his mind, so he specializes in telekinesis.

He is very handsome elf with long white hair and golden eyes. The girls quite like him and he likes them back, however he’s been spending far too much time in the guard tower surrounded by men and he’s not enjoying that part of his new task.

He is very calm and can be extremely intimidating, highly logical but deeply emotional at the same time (think of a Vulcan from Star Trek).

In battle he is brave, but never foolish – he knows his place is in the back row and that is exactly were he wants to be, because from there he can control every aspect of the battlefield, because after all, that is his role in this party.

Ayumu’s stats:

STR 10
CON 10
DEX 10
INT 18
WIS 12
CHA 18

AC 14
Fort 10
Ref 14
Will 17

AT-WILL POWERS
Mind Thrust
Dimensional Scramble

ENCOUNTER POWERS
Augmented at-wills
Elven Accuracy
Far Hand
Forceful Push

DAILY POWERS
Living Missile

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9
Bluff +11
Insight +8
Intimidate +9

Bio

Ayumu is not my real name but it is what everyone calls me now. Ayumu means ‘the dream walker’ and it was in dreams that I first discovered my psionic powers.

My real name is Arrys, I was born in the Feywild as a normal happy go lucky tree-hugging elf. My parents are nobles in the Court of the River King and I was always protected as a child.

When I was just a lad I fell in love with a beautiful elven maiden, but her life was cut short by a band of goblins from Nachtur, I vowed to avenge her death, and so I made a personal request to the River King and asked to be sent on mission to find murderers of my love.

I was sent to Prime Material plain as my first mission, to be an ambassador of the Feywild to the city of Fallcrest. There I joined this training program and I have been a part of it ever since. How this will lead me to find those responsible for the death of my love is yet to be seen. Having said that, I have to admit that I have bonded with some of the guys in the program. We work well as a group and we are told we will become knights once our training is complete.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Destructorr played by Pishta

Pishta seems not to have included his motivations for joining the Knight Watch, we're playing this evening so I'll ask him and then edit this.

Destructorr is a warforged guardian fighter, more a machine than a living being. A delicate mixture of a T-800 Alpha and Robocop. He is ferocious in battle, and a calculated “dirty fighter” (he will use any chance he gets to end his fights in the most efficient way), but almost childishly naive in some everyday situations which require intuition, feelings or even some sense of humor. So I expect some really funny and interesting roleplay…

Destructorr’s stats:

STR 19
CON 17
DEX 10
INT 12
WIS 10
CHA 9

AC 20
Fort 16
Ref 13
Will 11

AT-WILL POWERS
Cleave
Shield Feint

ENCOUNTER POWERS
Warforged Resolve
Covering Attack

DAILY POWERS
Villain’s Menace

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +5
Endurance +6
Heal +5

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Next up Jazz played by Zoran.

Changeling Bard- most often appears as a comely Half-Elf.

Zoran has included no other details- this may be Zoran being secretive, more likely he's just being a lazy bugger- I'll ask him and then update.

In-game Jazz is a lothario, one for the ladies...

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Sorry for the slowness, work related.

Next up Leodoor played by Christer.

Here are the stats of Leodoor, elven outlaw ranger.

Abilities
•STR 10
•CON 13
•DEX 20
•INT 10
•WIS 15
•CHA 8

Defenses
•AC 18
•Fort 12
•Ref 16
•Will 12
•HP 32 (Auspicious Birth)

Racial Features
•Elven Accuracy
•Elven Weapon Proficiency
•Fey Origin
•Group Awareness
•Wild Step

Class Features
•Archer Fighting Style
•Hunter’s Quarry
•Outlaw Starting Feature – Suprise Strike
•Prime Shot

Feats
•Defensive Mobility
•Weapon Proficiency Greatbow

Skills (trained)
•Acrobatics
•Heal
•Nature
•Perception
•Stealth

At-Will Powers
•Nimble Strike
•Twin Strike
•Hunter’s Quarry

Encounter Powers
•Suprise Strike
•Two-Fanged Strike
•Elven Accuracy

Daily Powers
•Hunter’s Bear Trap

Bio

Leodoor’s Background

Introduction

My name is Leodoor, wood elf ranger or the clan Erendyl. I represent the wood elves of Elfheim, far far away. I am seeking the true path in my life and when I heard that the city of Fallcrest was looking for people I knew that Nenthir Vale was on my path.

My people, always willing to help others, answered the calls of Fallcrest. I am here to help those in need. Who are you fine people and whom do you represent?

History

Leodoor, son of Eradrann, master of the bow. In his youth, he lost his mother to the dark elves who were in constant wars with his clan fighting for their birthright. After years of figthing the dark elves were forced back on the retreat and hid in the deep catacombs beneath the ground.

Time passed and Leodoor tried to seek his fortune, but Corellon Larethian stood silent to his prayers. After decades of housekeeping and maintaining the day to day business Leodoor finally got a call from an elder in his clan that the city of Fallcrest requested the clans aid. Without hesitation his bag was packed and he was ready to go.

Leaving his family and people behind Leodoor knew that Fallcrest was next in his path. He felt purpose again, maybe this was somehow connected with his mothers passings. For sure, this was a call for Leodoor.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
And finally-

Morok played by Simon.

Description

Morok is a Battlerager fighter, built to be in the thick of battle.

Now possessing a Dwarven Thrower weapon and the Cleave at-will, he is moving towards ‘Deft Hurler Style’ which will turn a Cleave hit into a free no-OA ranged attack.

Morok is an Earthforger, channelling the powers of Elemental Earth.

Bio

Morok hails from Slateshears, a dwarven fortress dug into the hills of the Nentir Vale. He volunteered to act as an emissary from Slateshears to Fallcrest in order to drum up trade between the two locations. While looking for way to do this, Morok stumbled upon the Knight Watch project and became part of that.

Delved too deep!:
Morok was part of a group of seven dwarves sent deep into the earth to explore an underdark cave-system. Two days later, six of them crawled back to the second landing with injuries and strangely changed.

The dwarves only had hazy memories of what exactly happened, but they remember discovering a strange cavern of glowing crystals. Morok touched one of these crystals and it exploded with primordial energy, both empowering Morok and nearly killing him. This release of energy caused a reaction in other strange crystals, which infused most of the other dwarves with power.

As Morok recovered, he discovered that he was infused with the power of elemental earth, and he threw himself into mastering this new-found power. It is perhaps through this power that he found himself, as Morok tamed and controlled this power, becoming an Earthforger, he became calmer and more dutiful.

After Morok gained a good control over his elemental power (which he channels into an explosive attack and the ability to harden his skin) he became restless. He couldn’t improve his power further, but wanted to do something. This is when there was a discussion over sending an ambassador to Fallcrest, to encourage a trading agreement with the city. Morok volunteered for this task, confusing many of his fellows as he was not that suited for the task, but there where no other candidates and Morok was chosen.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases