The Knight Watch

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
And so we continue with the Prologue-

Eoffram smiles, looks again at the assembled heroes- all that he has wrought; then continues on with his speech.

“Good, and so- if there are no further questions?”

“Then I’ll hand over to the good Captain Murgeddin, I’m sure he has a few words to say- the Captain serves here as military adviser, and contact with the Fallcrest Watch- remember on completion of your training you will each receive the rank of ‘Constable’, paid- of course. You are exempt from the normal duties of a Constable of the Watch however- you serve a greater purpose.”

“Oh and one more fine fellow to introduce- Splug here will live with you, he is responsible for the food and sanitation, he is also- I am reliably informed, an expert at a myriad games of chance- keep your cards close to your chest, you have been warned.”

From behind Eoffram, previously hidden from sight, a robed Goblin skitters in to view- Splug. The creature is armed with a toilet brush and sink plunger, Splug grins- it’s good to be back in action, he thinks.*

Eoffram continues.

“There will of course be other instructors over the course of your training, but they will be introduced at the appropriate times. Which just leaves me to say… Thank you, and good luck.”

With that Eoffram moves aside to let Captain Murgeddin in to the spotlight, the Dwarf- thumbs in his belt, puffs out his chest and speaks, nay growls.

“I think you’ve said everything Lord!”

Murgeddin looks suitably peeved.

“Except perhaps to say the training here will be tough, tougher than you can even imagine- but when we’re done with you, oh Moradin be praised, you’ll be more than equipped to deal with the rigours that lie ahead.”

“And yes, there will no doubt be casualties, maybe even fatalities- not during the training of course, but in service- consider this though, you serve the city of Fallcrest, you serve the Nentir Vale, for justice, for glory, you serve… and if not in this life, then in the next- you shall be rewarded tenfold.”

“Any questions?”

Murgeddin stands and stares- double teapot, hands on hips; daring someone to ask a question.

“Good- find a room and get bunked- 0530 tomorrow morning we start the day with a relaxing five mile run, then it’s weapon training, followed by two hours of tactical training, followed by…”

Captain Murgeddin smiles.

“But for now- relax, and remember in six months time it’ll all be over. Then it’s going to get really nasty.”

Murgeddin suddenly lurches in to action, screaming and shouting at the frightened new recruits.

“Move yourselves! And no Feystepping, you Eladrin… where’s she gone- bloody Fey!”

“You eyeballing me son, get down and give me twenty- count them out!”

“Where you from son? Harkenwold! Only two things come from Harkenwold- Ears (slang term for Elves) and flee-ers (slang term for those that run away at the first sign of danger)- you don’t look much look like an Elf to me boy!”

All is chaos, an ordered military style chaos, but chaos nevertheless.

And so it goes, and so it goes- for three months that is, or else three months, some days, and a few hours- we flash forward…

*Splug was rescued, many moons ago, by the original Knights of Fallcrest- he was a prisoner in the Keep on the Shadowfell. Splug’s a good guy- 50% fawning lick-spittle, 50% Marxist agitator; he bows and scrapes and bends over backwards to keep his charges happy, while all the time plotting the overthrow of the ruling classes via the Glorious Worker’s Revolution. He’s a complex little Goblin.

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Two good things already, a cat and a marxist goblin!

Alas neither feature heavily... shame.

Session 1

Book 1 Chapter 1: Kidnapped!

Fredag, the 8th day of the Month of Blossom, 2012.

The PCs are on the streets of Fallcrest- and in action, something must have gone wrong. Their training is only half way through- and yet here they are, 5 AM in the freezing cold and with the words of Eoffram Troyas and Captain Murgeddin still ringing in their ears.

And so here’s the set up, an hour or so ago the PCs were woken from their beds, Erathis knows why they were chosen- perhaps because over the last three months they have proved yourselves to be the best of the recruits- perhaps they just drew the short straw. Erathis knows, but she’s not telling.

The PCs have been briefed- a group of miscreants will be coming their way, who these people are and what they’ve done has not yet been explained. They’re bad people, of this the PCs are sure- more information later, but for now speed is of the essence. These miscreants must be stopped- that is certain; the PCs must ambush them- none should escape.

The PCs are permitted to use lethal force, there will be casualties- Murgeddin made that very clear, ‘just make sure they’re not on our side’- was what he actually said. The PCs ‘must’, Eoffram Troyas emphasised this point again and again, they ‘must’ take some of them alive- particularly the leaders of the group, there will be three of them- Half-Orcs, the PCs were told. At all costs at least one of the leaders ‘must’ be captured alive- lives depend upon it, both Murgeddin and Troyas made that crystal clear.

First things first, a Skill Challenge, making ready for the Ambush.

Ambush!

Encounter 1 Skill Challenge Level 1 Complexity 1 (100 XP)

You must select the right spot for your ambush, position yourselves carefully, and be hidden and ready to do the maximum damage in your initial assault- your success, maybe even your life, hinges upon the preparations you make now.

Action Points

Remember for every encounter, including a Skill Challenge, you have an AP to spend- in this challenge you can use your Action Point to re-roll one dice roll, you must take the second result even if it is lower.

Note all checks are Standard Actions. You need to succeed at a minimum of one Skill Check in each section- Planning & Construction (see below), but must gain four successes before three failures to complete the challenge.

Primary Skills (in suggested order of use):

Planning Stage-

Insight DC 14: (Maximum 1 Success)

You take a moment to examine the lay of the land, to think about what little you know about your enemies and from this information examine the possibilities of the situation- it is paramount you use this skill, and preferably before developing any plans. A maximum of two PCs can aid you in this task.

Perception DC 14: (Maximum 1 Success)

You take a moment to look around you- to see what materials you have to work with, and to spy out the streets and alleys. A maximum of two PCs can aid you in this task.

History DC 14: (Maximum 1 Success)

You take a moment to think back to your lessons, to remember examples of ambushes from the past. A maximum of two PCs can aid you in this task.

Construction Stage-

Athletics DC 15: (Maximum 1 Success)

You use your strength to move crates and barrels to construct a hidden place, or else some form of barrier or barricade. Note failure on a check results in the loss of a Healing Surge. A maximum of two PCs can aid you in this task.

Acrobatics DC 15: (Maximum 1 Success)

You use your agility to climb, or else squeeze into gaps- to get a better view of the situation, or else to discover new options and help with the set up of the ambush. Note failure on a check results in the loss of a Healing Surge. A maximum of two PCs can aid you in this task. Or,

Stealth DC 16: (Maximum 1 Success)

You use your knowledge of how to remain unseen to best position yourself and your colleagues for the ambush. A maximum of two PCs can aid you in this task.

Secondary Skills:

Heal DC 15:

You use your medical knowledge to negate the loss of a Healing Surge due to a failed Athletics or Acrobatics check. Success with this skill does not count towards the success of the Skill Challenge.

Diplomacy or Bluff DC 12:

You offer honeyed words, or else deliver a stirring speech- should you succeed then your comrades are buoyed by your talk, you may apply a +2 to a colleague’s Skill Check. Success with this skill does not count towards the success of the Skill Challenge.

Success:

You are hidden from sight and ready for your attack, you gain a surprise round against the enemy, see also below.

Success with no failures- in addition to the surprise round you gain +2 on your initiative roll for the encounter, and you gain a +2 bonus To Hit in the first round of combat (after the surprise round).

Success with only one failure- in addition to the surprise round you gain a +2 bonus to either your initiative roll for the encounter, or your To Hit in the first round of combat (after the surprise round).

Failure:

Roll your Stealth Check now (with a +2 bonus only- you’re poorly hidden), your check will be compared to the Passive (or otherwise) Perception Checks of those you are seeking to ambush- keep your fingers crossed and your head down.

XP:

Success = 100 XP.
Failure = 25 XP/Success achieved.

For successes we talk about the best areas for ambush, I give them some crate and barrel tokens to play with on the map and they block off several of the possible exits.

The result of which is the PCs are in position and ready for the enemies approach in good time and to the maximum effect- four successes without any failures.

Ready to ambush.

ENCOUNTER 1 COMPLETE PC’S LEVEL 1 WITH 20 XP EACH

Note to self- make Skill Challenges harder, increase DCs.

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Knowing very little about 4e, I like the rules explanations about what they have to do. Just one suggestion. If you could post the rules detail in cursive, it would be easier to tell them apart from the actual action, and those who do not need the explanation would know what to ignore.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Session 1 Part 2

Five AM on the streets of Fallcrest, not yet busy- this is the upper area of the city- down bellow the common folk are awake and about their business, but not here- not yet.

A morning haze hides the sun’s inevitable rise, it’s cold here- or at least chill, later on the sun will burn through the night mist and the city will become too warm again, but for now- the PCs shiver.

A noise… they’re coming!

Here come the bad guys.

Encounter 2 The Ambushed.
775 XP Level 3 Encounter

I’m making a big thing of Monster Knowledge checks in this campaign, as soon as the PCs spot the bad guys I have them roll- basically I’ve macroed up on all of the monster tokens a set of responses based upon Easy, Medium and Hard DCs for the monsters level.

Easy and the PCs get to find out some basic info- type and keywords.

Medium and I hint at a few of the monsters special abilities- attacks or defences etc.

Hard and they learn the monsters weakest defence, and/or any other resistances.

And the bad guys are-

Goblin Blade- Minion Artillery Level 1 (x5)
Converted Goblin Thorn

Dwarf Warrior- Minion Artillery Level 1 (x5)

Arthur Ramm, Gnome Sneak- Lurker Level 2
Converted Gnome Skulk

Half-Orc Bolter- Artillery Level 1
Converted Orc Bolt Thrower

Half-Orc Mercenary- Soldier Level 3
Converted Battletested Orc

Half-Orc Spiker- Soldier Level 3
Converted Gnoll Scavenger

The PCs launch their attack with surprise, and set off a few Action Points in the process for good measure- the effect is devastating. Arthur Ramm, the Gnome goes invisible, but is then swiftly Immobilised, courtesy of a natural ‘20’. When he reappears he’s swiftly knocked on his ass and reduced to 2 HP, this after Ayumu uses one of the Half-Orcs as a Living Missile, alas for the Half-Orc the experience is ultimately fatal. Morok takes a beating, albeit briefly- also reduced to 2 HP before the healing hits- Destructorr is bloodied.

Soon after the result is in- a convincing win for the Knight Watch. The bad guys are mostly dead, captured are the Gnome Sneak- Arthur Ramm, two of the Half-Orc leaders (Mercenary & Bolter guys) and two Dwarf Warriors.

ENCOUNTER 2 COMPLETE PC’S LEVEL 1 WITH 175 XP EACH

Arthur Ramm, as it happens, also has a price on his head- 20gp for his capture, alive.

The PCs investigate, briefly, the dead and the living- before they’re scoot back to head quarters for a debrief.

They learn the following-

- Goblins are members of the Black Tongue Clan, a number of nomadic clans that inhabit the Nentir Vale, they tend to be attracted to powerful leaders, whom they serve as cannon fodder et al. The PCs note that there are probably some Goblin leader types around to keep them in check.

- Dwarves are part of a mercenary organisation from Hammerfast, Dwarves will fight for anyone with gold, sometimes. The PCs again note that their leader is also not around.

- Arthur Ramm, the Gnome, is a local- a second storey guy; he seems out of his depth here.

- Half-Orcs are very Orcish, in fact, very very Orcish- the have all had their tribal tattoos and scars removed- by fire. Furthermore they only speak Orcish (Giant), a language none of the PCs speak alas. Arthur Ramm does however- which explains his presence, something he later confirms, he was hired less than twelve hours ago as translator.

And so to back to head quarters.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Not quite sure where the above comment fits in...

Session 1 Part 3

Back at head quarters Eoffram and Captain Murgeddin have news, by which I mean- not good news, which is a shame because the PCs are all smiles and positive energy.

Eoffram frets and paces- Murgeddin stands statue and sucks on his beard, eventually Troyas speaks-

“Yesterday morning a member of the Fallcrest Royal family was kidnapped. Kidnappings, while not commonplace, are a natural hazard for those with the money enough to pay the ransom- 90% of the time things go as planned, the ransom- which is never too high, is paid, and the loved ones reunited. More often than not the kidnappers are foolish enough to leave some sort of clue- more often than not, at a later date- and after much hard work by the Watch, they are captured and made to pay for their crimes.”

“Our initial thoughts were that this was just such a kidnapping, we prayed that the kidnappers were unaware of who they had in their grasp- as I say, a member of the royal personage. We set about discovering what we could- and quickly drew a blank, and so- in desperation, we perhaps foolishly, raided the lair of the Shadowmen, the Thieves’ Guild here in Fallcrest. Some say they a necessary evil, I have my doubts, but… Nevertheless, it quickly became clear that the Shadowmen were not behind this terrible act.”

“However the Shadowmen were… I think the word is generous, they provided us with the information that we needed, and just in time. A ransom note was sent, and received, the men who did this deed- or at least their leaders, are very aware of the prisoner’s status- they have not asked for money but for… well, for favours that are beyond our limits- their demands are in short impossible to meet. It is as if they want the child to die, and for the blood to be on our hands- in part.”

“This may be political- I can’t see it yet.”

And on that cliffhanger the first session draws to a close.

Note also during this session I asked the PCs to complete the following questionnaire-

Who do you know in Fallcrest?

I stated in the lead up to the game that each PC should have a friend or someone you go to for information in Fallcrest, hereafter known as your ‘source’, you each have one. Your source could be someone you have known all of your life, or someone from your past, or someone you have met recently. Your source may or may not be trustworthy- they could be telling you things because you have some hold over them- perhaps you know something about them, maybe you pay them, or exchange information, or… something else.

It’s time now to tell us about your source in Fallcrest- remember this game differs from other campaigns we have played in that you are going to help to craft the story along the way. I will take care of the big plot lines but your job is to provide me with some of the details. It’s your story as much as mine.

And so, answer the following questions, you may wish to consult the Fallcrest Map for ideas, and don’t be afraid to be creative, or to ask questions- although see below first.

Note this information can (if you wish) be shared with your fellow adventurers- this is your first questionnaire, feel free to help each other out- it’s about crafting a story, after all.

1) What’s your source’s name?

2) Where does your source hang out, or live, or work- in short where do you got to meet them to get info?

3) What Race, Sex, Class (perhaps) is your source?

4) What does your source look like, describe them in ten words or so?

5) How does your source come by their information- do they work for someone else or, are they a member of the watch, or the Shadowmen, or else… some other organisation? Remember to use your imagination- you have as much right to make something up, and be creative, as I do.

6) Why does your source share information with you (see above)?

That should do for now, although we may revisit this, and be warned there will be other questionnaires later, however remember that I’m trying to get a lot of this done at the start of the campaign.

Last point, looking around the map of Fallcrest- what’s missing- what places, establishments, services, shops, guilds or similar should exist in the city but do not appear on the map, and this is stuff you can (if you want) talk about amongst yourselves. Otherwise, if you want to keep some of your ideas secret, then write them in here-

I explained to the PCs, prior to the game, that I would be asking for this information- I want the game to have an exploratory/investigative element- basically I want a shed load of role-play from my players. I also needed this information for the next session.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Session 1 Part 3

Back at head quarters Eoffram and Captain Murgeddin have news, by which I mean- not good news, which is a shame because the PCs are all smiles and positive energy.

Eoffram frets and paces- Murgeddin stands statue and sucks on his beard, eventually Troyas speaks-

“Yesterday morning a member of the Fallcrest Royal family was kidnapped. Kidnappings, while not commonplace, are a natural hazard for those with the money enough to pay the ransom- 90% of the time things go as planned, the ransom- which is never too high, is paid, and the loved ones reunited. More often than not the kidnappers are foolish enough to leave some sort of clue- more often than not, at a later date- and after much hard work by the Watch, they are captured and made to pay for their crimes.”

“Our initial thoughts were that this was just such a kidnapping, we prayed that the kidnappers were unaware of who they had in their grasp- as I say, a member of the royal personage. We set about discovering what we could- and quickly drew a blank, and so- in desperation, we perhaps foolishly, raided the lair of the Shadowmen, the Thieves’ Guild here in Fallcrest. Some say they a necessary evil, I have my doubts, but… Nevertheless, it quickly became clear that the Shadowmen were not behind this terrible act.”

“However the Shadowmen were… I think the word is generous, they provided us with the information that we needed, and just in time. A ransom note was sent, and received, the men who did this deed- or at least their leaders, are very aware of the prisoner’s status- they have not asked for money but for… well, for favours that are beyond our limits- their demands are in short impossible to meet. It is as if they want the child to die, and for the blood to be on our hands- in part.”

“This may be political- I can’t see it yet.”

And on that cliffhanger the first session draws to a close.

Who do you know in Fallcrest?

I stated in the lead up to the game that each PC should have a friend or someone you go to for information in Fallcrest, hereafter known as your ‘source’, you each have one. Your source could be someone you have known all of your life, or someone from your past, or someone you have met recently. Your source may or may not be trustworthy- they could be telling you things because you have some hold over them- perhaps you know something about them, maybe you pay them, or exchange information, or… something else.

It’s time now to tell us about your source in Fallcrest- remember this game differs from other campaigns we have played in that you are going to help to craft the story along the way. I will take care of the big plot lines but your job is to provide me with some of the details. It’s your story as much as mine.

And so, answer the following questions, you may wish to consult the Fallcrest Map for ideas, and don’t be afraid to be creative, or to ask questions- although see below first.

Note this information can (if you wish) be shared with your fellow adventurers- this is your first questionnaire, feel free to help each other out- it’s about crafting a story, after all.

1) What’s your source’s name?

2) Where does your source hang out, or live, or work- in short where do you got to meet them to get info?

3) What Race, Sex, Class (perhaps) is your source?

4) What does your source look like, describe them in ten words or so?

5) How does your source come by their information- do they work for someone else or, are they a member of the watch, or the Shadowmen, or else… some other organisation? Remember to use your imagination- you have as much right to make something up, and be creative, as I do.

6) Why does your source share information with you (see above)?

That should do for now, although we may revisit this, and be warned there will be other questionnaires later, however remember that I’m trying to get a lot of this done at the start of the campaign.

Last point, looking around the map of Fallcrest- what’s missing- what places, establishments, services, shops, guilds or similar should exist in the city but do not appear on the map, and this is stuff you can (if you want) talk about amongst yourselves. Otherwise, if you want to keep some of your ideas secret, then write them in here-

I explained to the PCs, prior to the game, that I would be asking for this information- I want the game to have an exploratory/investigative element- basically I want a shed load of role-play from my players. I also needed this information for the next session.

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Session 2

Fredag, the 8th day of the Month of Blossom, 2012.

And so Session 1 ended with the PCs being informed that a member of the Fallcrest Royal Household has been kidnapped, the guys that they ambushed are part of the gang that committed this terrible crime. Luckily the PCs have a few prisoners…

Eoffram turns to the PCs.

“The creatures you captured are lower ranking members of this terror group- hirelings, they have no knowledge of the kind of danger they are in, they do not know that the child their bosses, or employers, hold is a member of the royal household. If it can be helped, they must never know this.”

“And so you are set to task, Murgeddin.”

Eoffram backs away a little, Captain Murgeddin strides forward.

“You must interrogate these fellows, find out where their base of operations is, where they take their captives too- for this is not the first time they have done such a terrible deed. You must find this hidden location quickly- time is of the essence. You must further find out as much as you can about what awaits you there. You have proved yourself capable already, although your training is but halfway complete. You will lead the attack- this is your adventure now, a child of blue blood’s life hangs in the balance.”

Eoffram edges closer again- he looks distinctly nervous- on edge, he looks once, twice at Murgeddin, who merely shrugs- it is as it is. Finally after clearing his throat several times the High Council Member speaks-

“Two and a half hours, the time on the ransom note runs out in two and a half hours- the child dies then.”

Eoffram looks at his shoes, Murgeddin continues to stare- neither chooses to meet the PCs gaze.

And so we dive in to yet another Encounter, a Skill Challenge.

Encounter 3 Find the Enemy
100 XP Level 1 Encounter
Skill Challenge Level 1 Complexity Level 1

Finding the Enemy

Encounter 3 Skill Challenge Level 1 Complexity 1 (100 XP)

You must interrogate the prisoners and use whatever skills you possess to discover the location of the enemies lair, and in good time. It is paramount that you do not let slip that the kidnapped child is a member of the royal household- the prisoners are low ranking members of the group, they will undoubtedly ‘clam up’ if they knew how much trouble they are in. You must further discover what awaits you in the enemies’ lair.

Remember you first need to formulate the questions that needs to be asked.

Also be aware that each Primary Skill check, even to Aid Another, counts as five minutes of time spent interrogating the prisoner and/or formulating your plans. This time will be deducted from the two and a half hours you have left to complete this scenario.

Action Points

Remember for every encounter, including a Skill Challenge, you have an AP to spend- in this challenge you can use your Action to re-roll one Skill Check, you must take the second result even if it is lower.

Note all checks are Standard Actions.
Primary Skills:

Athletics DC 14: (Maximum 1 Success)

You use your strength to extract information- strong-arming the prisoner into revealing the truth. A maximum of two PCs can aid you in this task.

Heal DC 14: (Maximum 1 Success)

You use your medical knowledge to heal the prisoner, hopefully this will put him in the mood to talk some more. A maximum of two PCs can aid you in this task.

Diplomacy or Bluff DC 13: (Maximum 1 Success for each)

You offer honeyed words, or else deliver a convincing speech that changes the prisoner’s demeanour, success and he talks. A maximum of two PCs can aid you in this task.

Intimidate DC 15: (Maximum 2 Successes)

You shout and rant, and harangue the prisoner, success and he talks. A maximum of two PCs can aid you in this task.
Secondary Skills:

Arcana or Religion DC 15:

You point and pout; uttering strange magic/holy words- hopefully your magical blather will leave the prisoner terrified and malleable. Success grants a +2 bonus to any future Skill Check. A success here does not count as a success in the Skill Challenge.

History DC 15:

You think back to your lessons, the examples from History- is there a better way of succeeding at the task in hand. Success grants a +2 bonus to any future Skill Check. A success here does not count as a success in the Skill Challenge.

Insight DC 13:

You watch the prisoner for signs that he is telling the truth, or else he is likely to crack and answer your questions. Success grants a +2 bonus to any future Skill Check. A success here does not count as a success in the Skill Challenge.

Streetwise DC 13:

You use your knowledge of the streets to offer threats or encouragement to the prisoner. Success grants a +2 bonus to any future Skill Check. A success here does not count as a success in the Skill Challenge.

Success:

You gain the answers to the questions you asked, note because you need four successes the prisoners will only answer the all important question- ‘Where is their lair?’ on your fourth success- therefore you need to think of three other questions.

Success with no failures- not only do you discover the location of your enemies lair but your initial attack there gains the benefit of surprise- should you behave accordingly, i.e. if you enter the lair shouting and making lots of noise then your surprise round will be lost.

Success with only one failure- you gain a +2 bonus to either your initiative roll for the first combat encounter, or your To Hit in the first round of combat (surprise round or otherwise).

Failure:

The prisoner refuses to talk, if you have another prisoner then the Skill Challenge starts again- note any Action Points you used are not refreshed- and time ticks down. If you do not have another prisoner then the child is dead… It’s as simple as that- you have failed.

XP:

Success = 100 XP.
Failure = 25 XP/Success achieved.

The PCs brag that this is yet another easy Skill Challenge, and it is- foolishly I used the DCs from the book and had at this point not seen any of the PCs characters, which it turns out are more RP orientated then they’ve ever been.

After bragging that it will be easy they then of course come close to failing, needing to spend Action Points to get them out of trouble when the dice roll low.

The PCs warm up with a chat with Arthur Ramm- they still need him as translator, then get physical with the Half-Orc Mercenary- succeeding at the skill challenge. Jazz then decides to spend a little extra time extracting more info from the other Half-Orc.

This is what they learn-

- Arthur Ramm, the Gnome, was hired by an Eladrin yesterday evening, as a translator. He thinks the Half-Orcs are working for someone else as they’re not very bright- he heard one of them mention ‘the Lady’.

- The Half-Orcs were heading for Tomb Wood, they were going to meet someone there, or else someone was going to meet them, they think that their contact is a lady.

- The Half-Orc’s leader calls himself ‘The Butcher’, he’s a very large slice of Half-Orc, but not bright.

- The prisoner is being held in an underground lair on the south side of the island on which the Tower of Waiting stands- it’s easy to find, covered with a set of tarpaulins- a set of spiral stairs lead down…

- There are more mercenaries in the lair, mostly bad types hired whilst the group have been in Fallcrest.

- The Half-Orcs refuse to tell the PCs anything about the burns on their bodies- the removal of their tribal tattoos and markings. Arthur Ramm thinks these guys are not from around these parts- their accent is pretty strange, nothing like he has heard before.

ENCOUNTER 3 COMPLETE PC’S LEVEL 1 WITH 195 XP EACH

And so the PCs rush off, they have less than two hours left, to The Butcher’s lair.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Session 2 Part 2

The PCs hot foot (and row boat) it across to the island, quickly discover the crudely hidden entrance to the lair and head down a set of eroded spiral stairs.

A wide corridor leads to yet another set of stairs leading down to a closed door- the place is ancient but clean with signs of recent passage- their are sounds and light ahead, beyond the door.

The PCs quickly, quietly, move in- slam the door open, take in the enemy (more Monster Knowledge checks) and then launch their attack.

The chamber beyond the door is damp, rotten and decayed in places, and ancient- centuries old. It looks to have been put to use not so very long ago… more than one person has met their end here…

Oddly there’s a bell over the far side of the chamber, between two stone tables that look to have been used to perform sacrifices. In the center of the chamber is a well- of sorts. Closer to the door are two cages… EMPTY!

I tell the PCs that every round of combat here counts as five minutes off the time they have to complete their investigation- one or two of them are not happy about this.

They needn’t have worried.

Encounter 4 The Bloody Secret.
625 XP Level 2 Encounter

And the bad guys are-

Garky, Dragonborn Mercenary- Skirmisher Level 1

Garky has a 10gp reward on his head for his capture- alive.

Garlick Shalefall, Dwarf Mercenary- Soldier 2
Converted Dwarf Clan Guard.

Morok knows this guy, from his time in Hammerfast- he’s a bastard, and he stole Morok’s families craghammer!

Dirk Tragga, Human Mercenary- Soldier 2
Converted Iron Circle Brigand.

Another wanted criminal- a hired-hand, but also a suspected murderer; about six months back Dirk killed a man in a bar fight- or so it is said. There’s a 25gp reward for his capture dead or alive.

(ex-)Corporal Ralph Sinner, Human Tough- Soldier 2
Converted Human Watchman.

Corporal Ralph Sinner, as he used to be known in his glory days in the Fallcrest Guard. That was until he went mad in a skirmish with a bunch of street rats- killed two of them and then mortally wounded one of his men who got in his way. Sinner has been on the run for nearly a year now, there’s a 30gp reward for his capture- dead or alive. Every Watchman in Fallcrest wants this bastard off the streets, most of them want him in the ground- dead.

And-

Human Vermin Thrower- Artillery 3
Converted Kobold Vermin Handler.

I tell the PCs that this guy, when he finally appears, is a tramp!

The fight is bloody from the get-go, in the PCs initial rush the Dragonborn Mercenary, Garky, is left dangling over the edge of the well- not a good start. It gets worse seconds later when Ayumu sends him screaming down to his death- that’s no well!

Destructorr is quickly bloodied again, and Morok takes a bash or two, however Garlick Shalefall is smashed down by the Warforged, and soon after the Human Vermin Thrower and (ex-)Corporal Ralph Sinner are sent to early graves.

Dirk Tragga is bloodied- he quickly surrenders and is stuffed in one of the empty cages.

The PCs take a snoop around the place and then search the dead guys.

ENCOUNTER 4 COMPLETE PC’S LEVEL 1 WITH 320 XP EACH

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases