Review of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Basic Game by Margaret Weis Productions

Thanks for the review, Neuroglyph! While I do think the lack of a classic point-buy system A LA Champions has thrown some people, the game does extensively cover how to create your own heroes, events, and scenes. In fact, together with the random datafile generator provided in the PDF or on the website, MHR has the same three options the original Marvel Super Heroes game did: premade hero, modeled hero, and random hero. Our nod to the original, there.

There's a lot that isn't traditional in the game, but I hope you get a chance to play it yourself. If you see me at GenCon or another convention, grab me for a game. :)

Felon

First Post
OK, I'm now reading the PDF. I am not far into it, but I can tell that this system is, by my way of thinking, on the right track. It doesn't use the traditional array of ability scores, for example. Those things are pretty meaningless to superheroes. I probably don't need to know how strong someone is unless they're super-strong, in which case they have a specific power to represent that.

I am bugged more than ever that the website is as bare-bones as it is. The system is loaded with a lot of proprietary terminology and concepts. LOADED, I say. As a consequence, this is not a system where previous experience with RPG's means you can hit the ground running.

Given that, I gotta say that if I were one of the people invested in promoting this system, I would definitely publish some design diaries that act as introductory primers. Without that, I get the feeling for many gamers this RPG is going to wind up on the "TLDR" section of their RPG book shelf. Honestly, I kind of feel like that's what happened with the reviewer here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Talon378

First Post
I have been reading this PDF lately and I am amp'ed up and ready to play. If only I could find some players in my area, this looks like alot of fun......

Shoe

Explorer
I've been listening to the BAMF! Podcast's actual play sessions of the game. It seems like getting your dice pool ready takes a bit of time (at least until you've done it many many times). I do want to give the system a fair chance. Does anyone know if someone is running this as online one-shots?

-Shoe

Shoe

Explorer
I'd like to take a moment to do what no one ever does on the Internet and admit I was wrong. Marvel heroic rp is a fun game. I always knew just by reading the books that the cortex plus system was fun, but initially I felt like it was better for a board Game than rp. After building some characters and running a session, I will admit that it is fun.

It does have some minor problems: building dice pools can be slow, and being the watcher is VERY different from other systems I've played. It's also rather hard to build your own event on the fly. Without pre planned unlockables and event milestones, a custom event looses a lot.

On the flip side, making and modding new data files is easy.

All in all it's not a bad game. Not simulationist lik I normally like, but fun

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases