Have you heard about the "Pathfinder Online Technology Demo" Kickstarter?

Dannager

First Post
I think your confusing hostility with critique.

Straightforward? Did you know that they wouldn't be using the Pathfinder rules for the MMO? That's buried somewhere on the site in a FAQ, pretty important information imho if your interested in a PF MMO.

Does this honestly surprise anyone? Using the Pathfinder rules in an MMO is a truly terrible idea.

My problem with the project is that they aren't diverting enough money from Paizo to the MMO and are now using fans to soak the investment for a Tech demo. Paizo has of course already spent money on the project, they are one of the founders of Goblinworks.

Let's assume that Paizo is not in a position, financially, to be able to safely cover the significant start-up costs of their MMO project. Would you rather they just give up and not undertake the project? Or would you rather they turn to a voluntary crowd-funding drive?

Lalato

Adventurer
I would rather they try to fund the entire project through Kickstarter instead of this silly Tech Demo. I think that's what people are saying throughout this thread.

And saying that if you don't like it don't fund it... well, of course I'm not going to fund it if I don't like it. That doesn't mean that I can't have an opinion about it.

IronWolf

blank
I would rather they try to fund the entire project through Kickstarter instead of this silly Tech Demo. I think that's what people are saying throughout this thread.

MMOs have recurring costs which would make it difficult to fund the entire project via kickstarter.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I wonder if this Kickstarter is an example of Paizo making a similar mistake to those occasionally made by WotC and TSR before them of thinking that the popularity in the RPG sphere would extend to the rest of the geek-o-sphere.

When they first announced the MMO 6(???) months ago, I got the impression that they were expecting the money to be rolling in and that it would be a question of "how much investor money, with the strings that are attached, do we accept", when it appears that the question they are asking is "do we have enough money?"

Remove ads