[Pathfinder] Friadoc's 'Down Camlin Way' campaign [OOC]

Friadoc

Explorer
Herein shall be the out of character discussions pertaining toward the needful topics of the 'Down Camlin Way' campaign...

Shayuri

First Post
So how do we want to do this? Are we all from the same town, kids who grew up together just bursting onto the adventuring scene?

Or do we meet in an inn? Or...what's the buzz?

Friadoc

Explorer
Personally, I'm all for establishment of prior background connections between PCs and the starting location. I think the key thing is for you all to establish how you'd like your dynamic to be, or what you would like it to become, and then we'll move from there. If you all had some prior connection to each other, that'd be great. We don't have to go the Breakfast Club route, but it can sort of work, too. Heck, look at how the Scoobies formed on Buffy, or Clark and his friends on Smallville, or other bits of ensemble goodness.

My key desire is that I'd like you folk to decide the tune of your orchestra, so to speak. Are you all like the Lucky Seven from It, or Gordie and his pals from Stand by Me. Is it more the Breakfast Club or is it a bit of Real Genius? Perhaps it's Young Guns? Perhaps it's Dragons of the Autumn Twilight?

Basically, I figure that constructing the group dynamic before the start might help us flow through the story and enjoy the game.

As for the starting moment of the campaign, i.e. meet in an inn or what not, I'll be handling that in the opening setting of the scene/campaign. It'll be a fairly sandboxed opening, in that all the PCs will have a reason or motive or opening to join in, even if they're not directly at the location when it occurs.

Cool?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
i was entertaining this as his background. . . . .

From the rolling hills of the southern wine country is a monistary within well guarded walls. They garden most of what they need, selling the rest to cover repairs and such. The vineyards are quite vast, for this is what they are truly known. What the not so commoners know is it is also the keepers of a vast library with not a few rumors of an arsenal of weapons and items of power.

It is from here the intrepid Ernesto has been raised-found as a child-an orphan in a dangerous world . . . . . Intrigue within mysteries; riddles coded into conundrums. State vs cathedral. Who knows why he has been sent out . . . . .

Leif

Adventurer
Tyyrh [pronounced "T(ch)ure"], Elf Fighter

Tyyre [pronounced "T(ch)ure"] grew up always picking on his older but wussier brother. That is, until his brother developed mage talents and upped the ante considerably. His brother, Wyyng [pronounced "Ching"] made Tyyrh's life unbearable among the elves, so he left. What I was hoping was that he could have met Ernesto de Palo Torres on the road, and that they could have made the last half of the journey to Camlin Shore in Varisia together. Tyyrh has great respect for Ernesto and his unarmed style of combat, although he doesn't understand it at all. I picture these two becoming good friends, although they are always picking at each other, much like DeWar and myself. :D

I'd like for them both to meet the rest of the party along the way, but this much is all that I've done yet.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Alright...well, questions of connection aside for the moment, Talashia is from some little village that I will find and name soon; possibly in collaboration with other players. She was obliged to leave this hamlet and move to a city that had facilities to learn magic...possibly a 'mage school' if those exist, or perhaps under a master/apprentice style arrangement.

Now, free of that obligation, she's stepping out into a world whose true size and scope she's only just beginning to realize.

jkason

First Post
I don't know if they're from the same village (or if that village is Camlin, for that matter), but the similar nature of their supernatural birth events seemed like a nice connection point for Giley and Talashia, especially since their reception seems kind of inversions of each other. Talashia's abilities lead to her at least temporary exile, and she was the actual child of her parents. Giley's some weirdly-haunted changeling, but seems to have his own supernatural accidents forgiven with a "but he's so sweet!" (At least, that's my general thought on how folks respond to Giley at home. Who knows how it'll work abroad)

It's entirely possible that Talashia's leaving town was as much of her own choosing or a skewed perspective on how the town veiwed her, but the fact remains she left home to come into her power, and Giley's just sort of fumbled into it. How those elements play into the relationship between the two could go in any number of ways. Talashia might resent him; Giley's presence might have actually softened up the townsfolk so Talashia has a warmer-than-expected reception; Talashia's return might make things colder for Giley; etc.

Friadoc

Explorer
Magnimar has quite a few schools of the arcane, and it resides at the mouth of the river upon which Camlin Shore rests...just west down the right, in fact.

http://campaignhq.wikispaces.com/file/view/Varisia.jpg/31738845/Varisia.jpg

Roughly a hundred and fifty miles down the river Yondabakari, in fact. Between this river, Ember Lake, and Lake Syrantula, Shayuri has lots of options for Talashia's place of origin, up to and including naming her own place and Camlin Shore/Camlin Fell themselves.

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia's leaving was technically her choice...she wasn't chased out with pitchforks. But her powers were decidedly more dangerous and uncontrollable than Giley's. If they grew up in the same area, she probably resented him and gave him a hard time when they were kids. :)

But all's forgiven now, right? Water under the bridge! RIGHT?! :heh:

As for point of origin, I like the idea of coming from a fairly idyllic little place downriver from the lake, alongside that forest there...they can be a logging/trapping/subsistance farming sort of community, selling wood downstream to Nybor and getting trade sometimes from upstream.

Alternatively, being from Camlin could provide a nice ready-made hook for the opening scenario.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases