[Pathfinder] Friadoc's 'Down Camlin Way' campaign [OOC]

jkason

First Post
Talashia's leaving was technically her choice...she wasn't chased out with pitchforks.

I don't think I ever thought she was run out of town, but I guess I got the impression, probably all made up in my head, that there was at least some pressure exerted on Talashia (real or perceived) that pushed her to go.

But her powers were decidedly more dangerous and uncontrollable than Giley's. If they grew up in the same area, she probably resented him and gave him a hard time when they were kids. :)

This was my thought, but I didn't want to assume.

But all's forgiven now, right? Water under the bridge! RIGHT?! :heh:

lol. I think of Giley as a bit of eternal optimist, at least at the moment (characters tend to veer in unexpected directions on me when I'm actually playing them). I'd imagine he's always a bit crestfallen when someone doesn't seem to like him, but I don't think he'd resent it so much as be excited if there was a turnaround.

As for point of origin, I like the idea of coming from a fairly idyllic little place downriver from the lake, alongside that forest there...they can be a logging/trapping/subsistance farming sort of community, selling wood downstream to Nybor and getting trade sometimes from upstream.

Alternatively, being from Camlin could provide a nice ready-made hook for the opening scenario.

For the whole "harsh life / wandering fey spirits" stuff, I'd definitely pictured a smallish village. I'd been thinking of Camlin just for, as you said, the ease of having Giley in town. But I could also see him wandering off after shiny things, or being talked into joining Talashia after she offered him the friendship he'd failed to gain when they were younger? ("Oh my gosh! She likes me now! I should totally help her out for that awesome favor!").

Shayuri

First Post
Definitely there was pressure. Social pressure. Here's how I see it going down, in brief.

Talashia's powers get strong enough to do more than little 'static shocks' to mom and dad when she's around 5 or 6...probably she accidentally zaps a dog that scares her or something. That, and her general wild, unruly nature makes her unpopular with the Nosy Neighbors and busybodies around town. There are probably people who like her too, so things are fine for now...

Then I'm thinking there was some kind of bigger accident later on...say when she was ten or eleven...hitting adolescence. This time maybe either someone got hurt, or maybe someone lost their prize wolfhound or something similar that demonstrated that her powers weren't just a nuisence. They were dangerous.

So the general atmosphere of the town gets a bit more cautious. Some folks don't let their kids play with her anymore. Folks start keeping an eye on her when she comes into stores or the like. Not maliciously...just watchful.

Then, into this, the town is visited by a wizard passing through on his way to Magnimar from the lake. He overhears some gossip and goes looking for her, and in the end offers to have some wizardly sorts take a look at her and see if she's okay, and help her master whatever strange magic keeps leaking out.

Skip forward seven-odd years, and she's returning...not really planning on staying, but wanting to see the old digs again after so long.

industrygothica

Adventurer
I guess I'll go cleric or paladin. Seems to be a lack of healing in the party thus far. Probably human, as I've had a background brewing for a story idea for some time now.

-IG

Friadoc

Explorer
Also, only play a class if you really wish to play it. If we end up with no dedicated healer, i.e. cleric, then I'll be adjusting the campaign modestly while still retaining balance. Generally this will be done with healing done outside of combat being for maximum value, and in combat healing (potions, or non-clerics healing folks) for an average healing value.

While I enjoy having a solid cleric in a group, I don't like for folks to feel pidgeonholed. We use this healing rule in my local group, and it seems to work out well enough.

Leif

Adventurer
Cleric?

Since this is the successor to IG's game, and I played the cleric there, I feel kinda like I should be exempt from playing the cleric in this one.

Friadoc, I really don't understand how "adjusting" things will keep us from taking damage. Sounds promising, though.

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
there is also oracle
Thanks!

Also, only play a class if you really wish to play it. If we end up with no dedicated healer, i.e. cleric, then I'll be adjusting the campaign modestly while still retaining balance. Generally this will be done with healing done outside of combat being for maximum value, and in combat healing (potions, or non-clerics healing folks) for an average healing value.

While I enjoy having a solid cleric in a group, I don't like for folks to feel pidgeonholed. We use this healing rule in my local group, and it seems to work out well enough.

I appreciate that. Having looked at the Oracle, however, I think I'll fit my concept nicely. That's what I'll go with.

-IG

Friadoc

Explorer
Friadoc, I really don't understand how "adjusting" things will keep us from taking damage. Sounds promising, though.

It won't stop you from taking damage, just as having a dedicated healer doesn't stop it. However, by removing some of the randomness of healing rolls, and setting them toward a fixed amount, and low-level potions being cheaper, it does of set having a ranged/non-touching dedicated healer like a cleric missing from the group.

The first time I played under the mod, I didn't think it'd make that much difference, but I was impressively surprised.

It definitely makes for a good use of down time, too...lots of potion brewing, or scrolls, etceteras.

Leif

Adventurer
Friadoc, I really don't understand how "adjusting" things will keep us from taking damage.

It won't stop you from taking damage, just as having a dedicated healer doesn't stop it. However, by removing some of the randomness of healing rolls, and setting them toward a fixed amount, and low-level potions being cheaper, it does of set having a ranged/non-touching dedicated healer like a cleric missing from the group.

The first time I played under the mod, I didn't think it'd make that much difference, but I was impressively surprised.

It definitely makes for a good use of down time, too...lots of potion brewing, or scrolls, etceteras.
Ok, I trust you. :) FYI, my snarky previous comment above was supposed to be vaguely funny.

Friadoc

Explorer
No worries, I didn't presume your intent to be a negative one...I tend to avoid that mindset, as it costs me very little to presume good intent. Plus, when someone does push my buttons, it lets me just go nuclear on them. ;)

The way this method works best is with usages of downtime crafting of potions and scribing of scrolls, or just buying them. If you have someone who can do some light curing, then the scrolls or wands (later on) are quite effective, and brewing potions is also a good downtime thing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases