[4e] drothgery's arcane game - Clash of Steel

Shayuri

First Post
Tatterdemalion, who was often a bit shy, or quiet at least, around new people that she knew better than to upset, decides to go off on her own to visit the local magical places. The shops of miracles, the alchemists, the libraries and schools...yes those too, but also the circles and loci; the fey toadstool rings and the gnome huts hidden behind log facades. She wanted to know more about these 'magebred' people, and starting with the mages seemed like a good idea to her.

(OOC - not sure what I need...so I'll roll Bluff as a social skill (she's asking about the subject as if academically interested, not investigating a crime) and Arcana to comprehend the results... *looks at results* Well...at least it's uniformly terrible. :))

Phaezen

First Post
Vanri, being a servant himself knows full well that the staff of nobles often know more than their master's are aware and will spend spend the afternoon looking for where they congregate while doing their duties.

With his skill in words and friendly demeanour he will talk with those he finds and attempt to discover what he can about the current situation in the town from them.

Inspiratorium

First Post
Althaea Ripace

Althaea finds a library and spends some time browsing through the history of the town. With any luck, there would be something which could help them in their quest.
OOC: History Check. Away! Hmph, double roll, sorry. You can take the lower one or average them. Neither is that great anyways.

drothgery

First Post
Silas smiles as he excuses himself, but closes up after they leave. We need to know the whispers on the winds, the secrets of the streets. I will listen. I will find the words of the high; perhaps someone else can find those of the low. The gnome finds a reputable establishment and then attempts to find a friendly, well-healed poker game, lounge, or other gathering of the wealthy and knowledgeable.
OOC: Streetwise, go: 18 (ouch)

Not surprisingly for a former bandit town, even among the well-heeled there are plenty that love to gamble, and Silas is able to find such a place without much difficulty. Finding someone willing to talk about more than cards or the latest events in the capital proves more difficult, however.

Tatterdemalion, who was often a bit shy, or quiet at least, around new people that she knew better than to upset, decides to go off on her own to visit the local magical places. The shops of miracles, the alchemists, the libraries and schools...yes those too, but also the circles and loci; the fey toadstool rings and the gnome huts hidden behind log facades. She wanted to know more about these 'magebred' people, and starting with the mages seemed like a good idea to her.

(OOC - not sure what I need...so I'll roll Bluff as a social skill (she's asking about the subject as if academically interested, not investigating a crime) and Arcana to comprehend the results... *looks at results* Well...at least it's uniformly terrible. :))

No one seems willing talk to her, but (thanks to a decent passive Insight score) the Pixie strongly suspects one of them knows something.

Vanri, being a servant himself knows full well that the staff of nobles often know more than their master's are aware and will spend spend the afternoon looking for where they congregate while doing their duties.

With his skill in words and friendly demeanour he will talk with those he finds and attempt to discover what he can about the current situation in the town from them.

With a little work, Vanri finds an off-duty servant who is willing to tell a little about how the town got to where it is now.

drothgery

First Post
OOC: no follow-up?
As their private investigations wind down for the afternoon, the group reconnects to discuss their findings, find an inn, get settled, and then go off to Lady Daybringer's.[sblock=Althaea, Vanri]
GM: History: Basic inquiries at the city’s hall of records
or by talking to old-timers can glean the following bits
of information.
DC 10: The city of Barrinsgate was, until fairly
recently, a large bandit encampment. Leaders of various
bandit groups met at the site from time to time to
discuss territorial boundaries and mutual responses to
outside threats (that is, the law).

DC 15: Fifty years ago, a new bandit lord arose. The
eladrin Stella Daybringer was a charismatic leader
who quickly established a strong voice in the fireside
councils. She recommended that the brigands, having
tamed the surrounding territory, found a proper settlement.
She argued, correctly, that the authorities would
not harass the gangs so much if they were engaged in
maintaining some sort of order in the district—even if
not all the activities were strictly licit.

DC 17: The campgrounds of the various bandit gangs
developed into the “neighborhoods” of the new settlement.
The most powerful groups claimed the best
turf, while the weakest were pushed toward the less
desirable areas. The leaders awarded themselves noble
titles and established an exclusive living area. The fireside
council site became the new Circle of Peers.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
(doh, I was too slow...I was going to try to Intimidate the mage who was holding out, but I don't want to slow the game down any more than I have :))

"The mages know something," Tatterdemalion grumps petulantly as she alights on the table and irritably kicks an inoffensive biscuit off of a tray. "But they wouldn't tell me. I thought about trying to make them tell, but...that might work better with one of you big people around anyway."

Soril

Standing in the great plaza, Soril watches as his companions head out into the city to follow their own leads. "Pretty faces work better the first time you ask questions. Save my own method for later."

Taking his ease on a bench against the wall, Soril watches the people go about their day, observing their manners, their reactions to him, and making mental notes about the operations of the guards. One of the precepts an old teacher had told him. Listen to what the master says, but watch what his servants do.

When the group reconvenes back at the plaza he follows them to whatever inn Silas has found. "I'm sure there's plenty that no more than they're willing to say. Don't worry Tatterdemalion, we'll likely have another chance to speak with this mage. How did the rest of your investigations turn out?"

[sblock]Insight check to gauge the overall state of the city guards, judging their professionalism, courtesy, efficiency, etc.[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Teclis Stormborn

"The people were surprisingly talkative. There are three gangs around, the most recently aggressive is called the 'Bloody Knifes'. They control much of the waterfront and Fireside, a poor working-class district.
Some assume a connection between Lady Dawnbringer and the gangs. She established an antiquities and rarities business as an example of legitimate commerce.
Lord Erinblad de Vast, her rival in the Circle, has been the most vocal public figure condemning the gangs. He has recently begun consorting with a veteran of the bandit wars, and since that time has begun to claim that Lady Stella knows more about them than she has let on."
Teclis answers.

[sblock=OOC]

[sblock=Quick Sheet]
Teclis Stormborn
Perception: 23 Insight: 23 Low-light Vision
AC 27 Fortitude 27 Reflex 24 Will 30
Initiative: +8
Hit Points: 92 / 92 Bloodied: 46
Temporary Hit Points: -
Resist: Lightning 10
Saving Throw: +2 vs slowed, immobilized, and restrained; +1 vs death
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Milestones: 0.5
Healing Surge: 23 Surges per day: 11 / 11
At-Will Powers: Elemental Bolt, Howling Zephyr, Ignition, Eldritch Strike
Encounter Powers: Elemental Escalation 4/4, Wind Burst, Lightning Shift, Fog Form, Bracers of Mental Might
Daily Powers: Zephyr Wings, Robe of Scintillation

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Phaezen

First Post
Vanri nods as Teclis finishes "I heard similar things."

"It would seem that just below the surface this may be a power grab in an ongoing gang war, either for someone to gain control of Lady Dawnbringer's position and assumed influence with the empire, or to break free from it."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases