Discussion & Proposal: Regional Languages

sunshadow21

Explorer
I have no problem with making it available for fluff, but I don't think we have enough of the world fleshed out enough to make official regional languages work just yet. When we get more than one major hub and it's surroundings mapped out, it would be worth considering, but not just yet.

IronWolf

blank
I have no problem with making it available for fluff, but I don't think we have enough of the world fleshed out enough to make official regional languages work just yet. When we get more than one major hub and it's surroundings mapped out, it would be worth considering, but not just yet.

The problem is several of us from from outside the main city already from different areas. So in order to effectively retro the bonus language we are going to need to know what the region speaks in order to update the character sheet.

I think basing it off the Geography entries from the wiki as GlassEye suggested would work for a great starting point to get us rolling. We can make small tweaks from there as the world develops, but I feel like we at least need a base set of regional languages out of the gate to get things rolling. Otherwise it feels a bit too chaotic to me.

sunshadow21

Explorer
The problem is several of us from from outside the main city already from different areas. So in order to effectively retro the bonus language we are going to need to know what the region speaks in order to update the character sheet.

I think basing it off the Geography entries from the wiki as GlassEye suggested would work for a great starting point to get us rolling. We can make small tweaks from there as the world develops, but I feel like we at least need a base set of regional languages out of the gate to get things rolling. Otherwise it feels a bit too chaotic to me.

If we are going to do that, we may as well flesh out the other basics as well (government, religion, basic geography, etc.), and get proper wiki entries made for them. Note I don't think this is a bad idea, but it does require time, and I don't know how much of that people have to spare.

I guess my biggest concern is if we are going to do all this work, we need to put it where new people can see it, and use it.

GlassEye

Adventurer
If we are going to do that, we may as well flesh out the other basics as well (government, religion, basic geography, etc.), and get proper wiki entries made for them. Note I don't think this is a bad idea, but it does require time, and I don't know how much of that people have to spare.

I guess my biggest concern is if we are going to do all this work, we need to put it where new people can see it, and use it.

That is the whole point of the wiki. From my point of view, most of the big picture items are already added (with the exception of the Horselords) so I'm curious, what specifically do you think is missing that needs to be added? From your comment it sounds as if you feel this information is not readily available. What would you do to make it more visible?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
My two cents

I have already been playing Heinrich as being from the Landonel Baronies and speaking in a thick German accent-purely as fluff. If Ladonese were the home language of H, I like the idea.

sunshadow21

Explorer
Much progress has been made on that section of the Wiki since I last looked. Kudos to whoever put in the hard work. That alleviates my concerns.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Much progress has been made on that section of the Wiki since I last looked. Kudos to whoever put in the hard work. That alleviates my concerns.

Thanks. Still, if you have or get ideas for better presentation or you notice some other lack please let us know.

And, so I'm not totally off topic, I'll add my YES vote to SK's breakdown.

[MENTION=6666968]Satin Knights[/MENTION] what is Broken Common and how would that work?

Satin Knights

First Post
It's a replacement for Common for those like Daylily and Maui that get most of the words right, but not necessarily in the right order. They can get by like a tourist.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases