Discussion & Proposal: Regional Languages

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Yes to the general concept.
Yes to the first regional language being a freebie.
Yes to the list from GE, adding Irthian and HaGruut, but please also add Broken Common as well.
Yes to retroactive.
Yes to "ancient" versions of the languages for when the GM wants to force a linguistics check.

And my YES to all of these as well.

jkason

First Post
I think your last post nets this the votes it needs, but since I think there might still be something to be discussed in terms of guidelines, I'll throw this in:

I guess I don't see this as any different than one GM using a lot of traps, while another uses tons of kobolds, while another uses . . . Well, you get my meaning. Any sort of challenge can be "done to death" with a little effort. If I get into an adventure that's got too much of something I don't like, I'll make sure I ask that GM before joining another if there's more of the same to be found; if there is, I'll pass on that one and catch the next.

I totally agree some GM's will be more likely to implement this as an adventure obstacle than others, but I think it might be useful to have a general consensus of how, well, common Common is. Should PC's be able to generally assume that folks speak it reasonably well in populated areas and that there needs to be a more severe degree of isolation to justify trouble getting by, or is Common rather something you can only really count on merchants, innkeepers, and other folks who deal with Tourists to know?

Satin Knights

First Post
GE added a placeholder on the wiki. I have gone in and filled it in mostly. I defaulted to "Deltan" for the Ouhm River valley region as I couldn't pull a more colorful rabbit out of my hat. Tweaks and additions are welcome.

Systole

First Post
I'd like for Jiragoan to be called something like Jira'shae, unless that's going to be too confusing.

I'd lean toward multiple languages for Landadel. Landadel seems very European to me, where there are lots of small countries / duchies / baronies / whatever, so there's something like French (for Zitteaux) and German (for Heinrich).

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I'd lean toward multiple languages for Landadel. Landadel seems very European to me, where there are lots of small countries / duchies / baronies / whatever, so there's something like French (for Zitteaux) and German (for Heinrich).

i like this idea!

Systole

First Post
Here's my suggested list:

• Common is otherwise known as Venzan or Low Landellian, and is spoken in Venza and the surrounding areas. As Venza is the world’s most developed trade center, the Venzan language serves as the default common tongue throughout the known world.
  • Middle Landellian in and around Tritower.
  • Old Landellian and High Landellian are spoken in the Landadel Baronies. Old Landellian tends to be spoken in the more far-flung reaches.
  • Deltan in the Ouhm River valley.
  • Irthian in Irthos.
  • Ha’Gruut by barbarian tribes in Seithr mountains northwest of Irthos.
  • Stonetongue in most of the Seithr mountain ranges.
  • Cavetongue for deep dwarves and other dwellers underground.
  • Inner Sea including the areas of the Harran, Heth, and Rorn.
  • Rhat’mani in the Rhat'Matanis region.
  • Jira'shae in the lands of Jirago on the western continent.
  • Northern Isle for the areas near Illi Esse.

jkason

First Post
I like the more flavor of the names on this list. My only question, then, concerns PCs whose background is as Venzan natives. Are they ineligible for a free regional language, or can they choose one (either from a limited list or the full one)?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I'd rather keep Common separate from all of the regional languages (even Venzan). It does make sense that Venzan and Common be the same, but I'd rather see Common be a schmorgasborg of all the others and let Venzan's have their own regional tongue.

Qik

First Post
Personally, I don't like the idea of a distinct Venzan language, given that Venza is as cosmopolitan as it is, or at least, as it seems to me. It strikes me as being comparable to having "American." But I may be off on that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases