[d20 Modern] Alias TV Show - What is Marshall? (also Bond 007 "Q")

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
For those of you who watch Alias, I think you will agree with me that this show is a natural for use with d20 Modern.

I am in the process of adapting a few of the concepts from the show to a game, and having trouble pinning down the Marshall character.

For those who do not know of him, Marshall is the Technical Operations Officer of a covert organization known as SD6 (or Department-7, for the d20M game). He does not go on missions. He just stays in the home office, building nifty technological devices for use by the field agents in accomplishing their missions. The character "Q" from the James Bond films serves the same purpose.

I am trying to figure out which class progression makes the most sense for this kind of character. It seems to me that both the Techie and Field Scientist advanced classes make some sense.

The case for Field Scientist maininly involves the Scientific Improvisation ability, which states in part: "The scientist can build a (temporary) tool or device to deal with any situation".

The case for Techie mainly involves the Extreme Machine ability, which improves a machines performance temporarily, and the Build Robot ability (self explanitory).

Honestly neither of these classes perfectly fits Marshall in my mind. Marshall builds gadgets. They are not temporary ones, they don't last a short period of time, they do not break down frequently, they are not jury rigged, and they are rarely robot-related.

For a sample list of some objects he created, see here:

http://www.alias-tv.com/gadgets.html

Anyone have any advice?

Mistwell

DarkSoldier said:
I've already done Q; he's in my d20 Modern Net.Book.

http://www.geocities.com/dfloyd84/dnd/index.html

If you do Marshall, can I add him (and any other Alias characters you might do) to the book? I don't watch Alias, so I couldn't do it myself.

Thanks for the reference. I would be happy to give you Marshall, once he is done, and any other characters I come up with (other than perhaps the StarGate ones).

However, your "Q", and my "Marshall" are both inadequate, since neither can actually make the gadgets they known for in their respective movies / tv shows. The Techie advanced class does not actually grant them this ability, aside from robots.

Charles Ryan over at WOTC says he will probably post an advanced class with Gadgetry in mind, some time in the next several weeks. That would help out a lot.

tm80401

First Post
You don't need a special class ability to build new devices. You just make a Craft check (Electronic or Mechanical) against the DC that the GM has assigned and that determines if your device will work. You can use the Robotics rules in the Techie class as a base to assign DC's but you don't need a special feature.

Mistwell

Still working on Marshall. This is what I have so far:

Male human Smart Hero 3/Techie 10/Field Scientist 2: CR 15; Medium-size Humanoid (human), Age 40 (-1 Str, -1 Dex, -1 Con, +1 Int, +1 Wis, +1 Chr); HD 10d6-20 plus 10d6-20; hp 30; Mas 6; Init +0; Spd 30 ft.; Defence 18 (+0 Dex, +8 class); BAB +; AL Department 7; SV Fort +, Ref +, Will +; AP 7; Rep +; Str 10, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 18 (3 increases), Wis 14, Cha 8.
Skills: Computer Use +24 (+18 Ranks, +2 Gearhead, +4 Int), Craft: Chemical +14 (+8 Ranks, +2 Builder, +4 Int), Craft: Electrical +24 (+18 Ranks, +2 Builder, +4 Int), Craft: Mechanical +25 (+18 Ranks, +2 Builder, +4 Int, +1 Occupation), Decipher Script +14 (+8 Ranks, +2 Studious, +4 Int), Demolitions +12 (+6 Ranks, +2 Cautious, +4 Int), Disable Device +24 (+18 Ranks, +2 Cautious, +4 Int), Forgery +12 (+6 Ranks, +2 Meticulous, +4 Int), Knowledge: Earth and life sciences +11 (+5 Ranks, +2 Educated, +4 Int), Knowledge: Behavioral Sciences +11 (+5 Ranks, +2 Educated, +4 Int) , Knowledge: Physical Sciences +24 (+18 Ranks, +2 Educated, +4 Int), Knowledge: Technology +25 (+18 Ranks, +2 Educated, +4 Int, +1 Occupation), Listen +4 (+2 Alertness, +2 Wis), Repair +23 (+16 Ranks, +2 Studious, +4 Int, +1 Occupation), Research +24 (+18 Ranks, +2 Studious, +4 Int), Search +7 (+1 Ranks, +2 Meticulous, +4 Int), Spot +9 (+ 5 Ranks, +2 Alertness, +2 Wis), Read/Write Language (English, Latin, German, Russian), Speak Language (English).
Feats: Builder (+2 Craft: Chemical, Mechanical, Electronic, and Structural), Cautious (+2 Demolitions and Disable Device), Educated (+2 Knowledge: Physical Sciences, Behavioral Sciences, Earth & Life Sciences, and Technology), Gearhead (+2 Computer Use and Repair), Studious (+2 Decipher Script and Research), Meticulous (+2 Forgery and Search), Low Profile (-3 Reputation), Lightning Reflexes (+2 Reflex Save), Alertness (+2 Listen and Spot).
Occupation: Technician (+1 Craft [mechanical], +1 Knowledge [technology], +1 Repair).
Talents/Abilities: Savant + (), Smart Defense, Scientific Improvisation, Jury-rig +, Extreme machine, Build robot, Mastercraft ()
Possessions:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases