Iron DM 2012 -- R2 complete, Finals in Progress

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
That's a viable alternative. BUT were we to run with that, I'd want to have ALL contestants agree to it ahead of time -- you're all taking a big risk -- Iron DM judging is VERY subjective. There's a certain amount of protection in the three-judge system.

That's a viable alternative. BUT were we to run with that, I'd want to have ALL contestants agree to it ahead of time -- you're all taking a big risk -- Iron DM judging is VERY subjective. There's a certain amount of protection in the three-judge system.

Qft. I dont care when you post my ingredients or who my opponent is, i am ready to go whenever. Bring it.

Rune

Once A Fool
Yeah, and then look at your Anthology and notice that most of them are weighing in over 3000 words on the first page alone... You know, all of the 5/5 rated ones?

Slainte,

-Loonook.

A few things to note:

1= Those (entirely subjective) ratings have nothing to do with whether or not the entries in question were good Iron DM entries. The Anthology was compiled as a resource to DMs looking to use those adventures and the ratings reflect that purpose only.

2= Most of those entries did not have a specific word-count limit.

3= Most of those entries had a 24 hour time-limit. Given a 48 hour time-limit, entrants need some kind of challenging parameter to maintain the integrity of the IRON DM Tournament. The word-count limit fulfills this imperative quite nicely.

Loonook

First Post
A few things to note:

1= Those (entirely subjective) ratings have nothing to do with whether or not the entries in question were good Iron DM entries. The Anthology was compiled as a resource to DMs looking to use those adventures and the ratings reflect that purpose only.

2= Most of those entries did not have a specific word-count limit.

3= Most of those entries had a 24 hour time-limit. Given a 48 hour time-limit, entrants need some kind of challenging parameter to maintain the integrity of the IRON DM Tournament. The word-count limit fulfills this imperative quite nicely.

If that is the system you want I would suggest (to speed up the process and get things done) 4 'Quick' rounds of 24 hours/2000 word limits with a smaller item list, THEN making the 'Masters' rounds into a series of 3 rounds based on points and 48 hour runs, eliminating the bottom individual from each round.

You judge 8 writeups in your 1st round, then 4, 3, and 2 in the subsequent rounds.

But that's just how I would do it, as someone who runs quiz games and creative games for a local :). TBH 24 hours is only Internet time: I would love to do this live with 1 hour and 2 hour time frames, wrapping it all up over one day :p.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Sounds good but is a bit impractical, most weeks 24hrs wouldn't work for me so well. I'm much more happy with the limit and will eventually get how to do it.

But maybe I'll put out a challenge kinda opposed to the Iron GM - with a minimum word count (the fluff needs to make sense of course). I just have no idea what to call it. Fluffy GM? :D:D

Wicht

Hero
Ack. Running late. Sorry for the delay and wait.

Deuce Traveler, Ender Wiggin; here are your ingredients for Round 2 Match 1. You have until 4:45 pm EST to use the following in an adventure synopsis:

Bundle of Straw
Forlorn Cyclops
Gaudy Gangster
Abandoned Foundry
Powerful Suit
Drum

Good Luck Gentlemen!

Remove ads