BURNED CIRCLE - City/Character Creation Thread (DFRPG)

ThirdWizard

First Post
In this thread we'll be working on getting Locations (along with all the bits that go with them) and Player Characters built.

Pick a Template and a High Concept
Everyone should be working on picking their template and high concept. If you want to bounce ideas around, that's great! Post up your thoughts about your characters and get feedback for how to phrase your first Aspect. It can be difficult to make Aspects, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with the system. High Concepts don't have to be two-fold like other aspects, but it is still an important decision to make.

Get an Idea for a Location
Post up ideas about any locations you might want to detail. You wouldn't want to go through all the work of writing up a location to find that someone else has been working on the same thing, so get those ideas on here when you have them, even if they aren't fleshed out. If you find you don't like it and want to change it, that's fine.

Detail the Location
Once you start the ideas percolating in your head, you can start to write out the details. Depending, this can take a few minutes to several hours. I know I stared at a few locations that seemed perfect in the past for days before realizing how to really make them pop.

Locations have:
  • Name - What it is called when people refer to it. It can have multiple names depending on who is making the reference.
  • Description - A physical description of the area complete with sights, sounds, and smells. What is it like going there?
  • Theme or Threat - Pick one. Threats are simple - there is something dangerous in or around here. Themes are a bit more open to interpretation.
  • Idea - What makes this place stand out as special. It should have a supernatural element to it. No mundane stuff here!
  • Aspect - This aspect can be invoked when in the area or dealing with the area, by both PCs and NPCs. It should be evocative. This can be a difficult part of the process.
  • Face - A person that has something to do with the location. They live here, work here, or something else depending on what kind of place it is. They'll have their own write-up later.

Create a Face
Your Location needs a Face, an NPC, to go with it. Faces are important because once you get where you're going, you'll need someone to talk to. You might not always be interacting with the Face, but more often than not, the Face is an integral part of the workings of the area, so even if you don't talk to that particular NPC directly, they're an important cog in whatever it is you'll be doing there.

Faces have:
  • Name - What people call him or her.
  • High Concept - What the person is. This uses the same guidelines as a PC High Concept
  • Motivation - What the person wants. There should be some clear goal here, something that will push the Face to be a part of the coming adventures. They should want change in some way.
  • Relationships - What other Faces they interact with on a semi-regular basis. They could be allies, enemies, business partners, anything. We'll work on relationships after we have a few Faces made and see how everything can fit together.

Character Creation
Finally, right!? But, it is important to have an idea of where the PCs will be living before we build the PCs. So, at this point, we should have a High Concept and a Template. Now we move on to the Phases of building characters, assigning skills and powers, and fleshing everything out in wonderful detail.

The Aspects
This is my favorite part of character creation. It really helps the PCs come to life, as we write up very short stories based on their past. Remember to keep these short! We aren't looking for a novella here, just a paragraph at most describing each of the following Phases of the characters' lives.

Trouble
Pick a trouble. This should be something that affects you. I should be able to compel the trouble on a semi-regular basis, about once per story on average, with occasionally several times in a story if it revolves around something dealing with your trouble.

Where Did You Come From
Page 59. Where did you come from? What's you're basic past? Write a bit about that. I'll go over it and make sure it meshes with the game I have planned out.

What Shaped You
Page 59. Perhaps something went wrong in your life. Perhaps something went right.

What Was Your First Adventure
Page 60. Remember, we're starting the game Submerged, which is about where Harry is at the start of Storm Front, so this takes place a quite while back comparatively.

Whose Path Have You Crossed (guest starring)
This is one of the fun ones. I'll assign each of you to a different player's Story, and you get to write their entry for them, then they choose an Aspect to go with it. Subject to approval from me and the player you're writing for, of course! ;)

Who Else's Path Have You Crossed
Same as above. I'll assign who gets who, and it will have to be approved.

Gory Details
We assign skills, stunts, powers, and all that other crunchy goodness. Take what we found out about the characters above and work with it when assigning skills, powers, etc. I'm sure you'll have in mind way before this what you're character is like but keep a few skills in mind before you get to this point.

• Do you want to be wealthy? If so Resources might be important.
  • How do you fight? Spells? Fists? Weapons? Guns?
  • Are you knowledgable about the supernatural? That's Lore
  • Do people look up to you? Are you a leader? Better have Presence.

Take a look over the skill list and think about your PC. Read over the supernatural powers and think about how that might affect you as well. A lof of these skills and powers have to do with more than adventuring and move into your day to day life.

The Final Details
What's your name? Where do you live? What do you do when you aren't saving lives? Who are your friends and family? How close are you to those not in the known on supernatural matters? What's your favorite fast food restaurant? These are the questions that must be answered.

Done!
Once we have this done, I'll make the In Character thread and we'll start. I'll get more details for you about that once we get to it.

I know, all this can look daunting. I wasn't sure whether I should have put it all in one post, but it really isn't so bad. Most of this can be knocked out in a few minutes. And, its a lot of fun! I've had a blast in the past writing up the stories and picking Aspects. And once we get going with the story starting, the better those Aspects are, the more interesting the game will be, and the more you'll feel that your character is being drawn into the game on a personal level.

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
Here is Oakland Cemetery as it will be appearing in our game. It can act as a sample for your own locations.

Oakland Cemetery:
[sblock]
u6aYS.png

Oakland Cemetery
Description: An old cemetery built in 1850 that is the current resting place of over 70,000 residents. For every lavish monument marking a prominent or wealthy family, there are hundreds of small, simple headstones. Not far from some of Atlanta’s best known sons and daughters are paupers buried at public expense. Here, an ornate tomb is inscribed with flowery verse — there a plain marker merely says “Infant.”
Threat
The Idea: The ghosts here are numerous and desperate to get out. Many died in the civil war and are still unable to accept their final fate. Others died before their time or violently and were buried here because there was no place to put them. These spirits want out, and they’ll take any opportunity to leave that they can find.
The Aspect: There Is No Rest
The Face: Ectomancer Paul Nun
[/sblock]
Ectomancer Paul Nun:
[sblock]
5Vp81.jpg

Paul Nun
Is the Face of
Oakland Cemetary
With the High Concept
Ectomancer Groundskeeper Of The Restless
And Motivation
Keeping the spirits calm is a full time job. Keeping them in the walls as well is a second full time job. He does it because he cares about the dearly departed, not out of any desire to protect the
living.
With these Relationships
- fill this in later -
[/sblock]

Dragonwriter

First Post
Character-wise, I've been gravitating towards an Ogre-Blood Changeling, High Aspect of Big Son of an Ogre. Or something similar.

As for locations, Underground Atlanta caught my eye a couple days ago and I worked up something for it. :)

[sblock=Underground Atlanta]
Name: Underground Atlanta
Description: Nightclubs and tourist shopping, right on a ley line (Eastern Continental Divide).
Threat
Idea: White and Red Court hunting grounds
Aspect: Hidden Hunters
Face: Tyler Ducard, Concerned Club Owner and Manager

Underground Atlanta provides a daytime shopping and a nighttime club scene, all big with the tourists. It also provides excellent cover for the competing Red Court and White Court vampires that like to prey on them.

Face: Tyler Ducard
Of Location: Underground Atlanta (Blacklight)
High Concept: Concerned Club Owner and Manager
Motivation: Want to protect my club’s reputation… and patrons. People disappear and a number have last been seen in Blacklight. Word has gotten around that it's dangerous, so people don't come and that's bad for business.
Relationships: Fill in later
[/sblock]

I also wanted to do something with Castleberry Hill and tie it to the Sidhe, given how some of them are fixated upon artists, but I just couldn't get anything to stick and sound good.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Ogre-blooded changeling sounds good. I love the changelings in the novels and how they work in the world. It can really offer a lot of interesting scenarios to play out. Also, love the Fairie and you'll definately be interacting with them a lot if you go that route. :]

Your writeup fits perfectly with Underground Atlanta. The city really tries to pull people in, but the area just has a reputation for being a dangerous place. I could see vampires preying on people there.

Here's how I envision vampires currently:

The Red Court elite are mostly involved in business, specifically real estate and the financial industry. They're deeply involved in intrigue and politics. The ones in this area are few and mostly older Red Court with ties to the Red King.

The average Red Court, however, is involved in prostitution and human trafficking. They're more active on the streets and far more active in the crime in the city. These are younger vampires (relatively speaking), who are still attempting to build their status within the Court itself.

The White Court Raith are involved in night/strip clubs, and are trying to work their way into prostitution which puts them at odds with the Red Court. The two Courts are in direct opposition in some cases. There aren't a lot of White Court in the city, so they're at a disadvantage against the Reds who outnumber them by perhaps a dozen to one or more.

The White Court Malvora, on the other hand, are involved in telecommunication. They work at the networks, specifically being involved in the news and working toward fear-mongering in the media. There are only a handful of Malvora in the city, and mostly they try to stay away from intra-Court politics as much as possible, although they can't help but get embroiled in things when they decide that a story needs to be created to suit their purposes.

So Underground Atlanta is probably one of the locations for the clash between the two Courts as well as a desirable feeding ground for both as well.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Just reposting my conceptual ideas so far for now.

Template: Were-Form
High Concept: Shadowcat Warden

Location: A mystic place in the canopy of trees surrounding Atlanta that features a gateway to the Nevernever.
Face: Probably some kind of gatekeeper

Bye
Thanee

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
My thoughts so far:

Template: Minor Talent
High Concept: not sure yet

Idea: Lots of people going through it all the time probably have lots of emotion (good and bad) which probably makes it magically notable
Face: probably the head of security

I'll flesh this out more in a bit, once I'm more familiar with the rules and such.

GM

ThirdWizard

First Post
Template: Were-Form
High Concept: Shadowcat Warden

Location: A mystic place in the canopy of trees surrounding Atlanta that features a gateway to the Nevernever.
Face: Probably some kind of gatekeeper

I like these. You can use your High Concept for things like stealth, protecting others, tailing, etc. Very evocative. Have you thought about how you got your transformation powers? Not to get ahead, but if you haven't you might want to start thinking about that.

If you want to tie the location to Faerie, which is the usual for the "near" Nevernever, Summer is stronger in Atlanta. Not only is it hot, but there is a lot of greenery and animal life in and around the city. That doesn't mean you have to tie it to Summer. If Winter (or the Wyldfae?) controls it, that would make the location that much more interesting. There are also wild, unpredictable places where spirits, ghosts, or even demons roam. If those creatures could occasionally get through, it would definitely be notable.

Trying not to have any spoilers here! A lot of Faerie stuff isn't introduced until Summer Knight, so don't feel that you need to use it. There's a lot in the Nevernever.

My thoughts so far:

Template: Minor Talent
High Concept: not sure yet

Idea: Lots of people going through it all the time probably have lots of emotion (good and bad) which probably makes it magically notable
Face: probably the head of security

I'll flesh this out more in a bit, once I'm more familiar with the rules and such.

Any idea what you want your talent to be?

The airport sounds good. With a lot of travel to and from the city, it makes sense as a location that would attract the PCs' attention, so it would definitely make an appearance at some point. I like the idea of the magical charge from all the emotion in the place. Perhaps that emotion could be harnessed similar to the lightning in Storm Front...

Thanee

First Post
Have you thought about how you got your transformation powers?

Yeah, I have been looking into that.

I basically have two ideas right now, both would tie directly into the location.

1) She was born with her shapechanging abilities. Her mother is a shapechanger from the Nevernever (she inherited the powers from her), while her father is a mortal.

2) She has been trained by the Gatekeeper (the location's Face) in exchange for the promise / pact to protect the mortal realm against threats from beyond the world.

Could even be both.

Trying not to have any spoilers here!

No worries. I expect some spoilers (from reading the rulebook alone), anyways.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
I have been working on my character over the weekend (in fact, I am pretty far with that already; still need to finalize that second Phase and write down the third Phase, though I have a good idea about what that will be; and Skills/Powers are pretty much done, too).

As for the location, I like the idea that there is a dangerous place beyond that gateway, so that would fit in better with the Winter Court. After all, there needs to be a reason to guard it.

It would feature strongly in my third character Phase, therefore I havn't really written down much about it, yet.

I also noticed, that "Warden" might not be the best term for the High Concept, as the Wardens are those White Council wizard guardians; I was aiming for something more generic, so I might just switch that to "Guardian" or something similar.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases