D&D 5E EN World Interview With Mike Mearls, Lead Designer of D&D Next

That's your opinion, and it's a perfectly valid one, but I disagree with it.

When I play 1st person, whatever I do I will get "me in a gorilla suit"; I cannot transcend the makeup of my own mind, my mental models and psychological makeup, in that mode. Just like old movies where the "monsters" are people in suits, the basic physiology of "head, torso, two arms and two legs" has to be accomodated. If, like Harry Harryhausen, I switch to "puppet theatre", I may lose out a little in fine control and the expressions may be (literally) wooden, but at least I can play things that don't amount to "a man in a gorilla suit".

Yes, because you are not insane and remain yourself. The point is to feel likeyou inhabit the character, to feel like you see things from the character'spoint of view and motivations. For me that is where the fun is, when you drop your guard and feel like the character. I dont literally need to transform into the character, though if you do it enough you would be surprised by the results.

Balesir

Adventurer
Yes, because you are not insane and remain yourself. The point is to feel likeyou inhabit the character, to feel like you see things from the character'spoint of view and motivations. For me that is where the fun is, when you drop your guard and feel like the character. I dont literally need to transform into the character, though if you do it enough you would be surprised by the results.
Immersionist play - yes; I've done it, I hope I'll do it again sometimes, it's fun and definitely a valid way to play. It's just not the only way to roleplay - and not even the only fun one, nor the most fun one, in my view.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases