L&L 5/21 - Hit Points, Our Old Friend

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
But what does the difference mean?

On a long rest does a level 1 fighter gain 1d10 HP, 10 HP, or 1 HD which requires another rest to gain HP?
I imagine it's like this:

Short rest: Spend any number of HD to regain HP.
Long rest: Spend any number of HD to regain HP, then regain X HD.

X might be "Roll whatever type of die your HD is."

pemerton

Legend
Just because an arrow inflicts hit point damage doesn't mean it skewered you through the vitals. Maybe it nicked your arm or leg (maybe even your ear). Perhaps it was tumbling through the air as it hit, leaving a welt. Perhaps it shattered on some armor or other obstacle and bits of wood and fletching got in your eye.
Schroedinger's obstacles?

FireLance

Legend
But what does the difference mean?

On a long rest does a level 1 fighter gain 1d10 HP, 10 HP, or 1 HD which requires another rest to gain HP?
This is just my guess from my reading of the article, but: after a long rest, a 1st-level fighter regains 1 Hit Dice. When he takes a short rest, he can expend that Hit Dice to regain 1d10 hit points.

At higher levels, it is not clear:

1. What is the maximum number of Hit Dice each character can have. A number equal to level seems likely (i.e. a 9th-level character can have a maximum of 9 Hit Dice), but any fraction or multiple of level (half level, twice level, etc.) could also be possible.

2. How many Hit Dice are regained per long rest. Most likely, it will be a fraction of the maximum Hit Dice (one-third, half) so that it will take a character a few days to completely recover from being brought down to 0 hit points.

Another point that seems very likely at the moment is that the average number of hit points that can be regained from a character's maximum Hit Dice will be less than the character's full normal hit points. This means that a character's hit point reserve, in the form of Hit Dice, will be far shallower than in 4e. So over the course of an adventuring day, you might see a character expending all his Hit Dice to regain 50%, 75%, or (with a series of lucky rolls) 100% of his full normal hit points before he needs rest for at least a few days. That would address the criticism that 4e characters recover hit points too quickly, both in terms of a single adventuring day (where it is theoretically possible, though unlikely, to go from full hp to 0 hp and back to full hp two, three or more times per day) and from a day to day basis (because all hit points and healing surges are recovered after an extended rest).

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I imagine it's like this:

Short rest: Spend any number of HD to regain HP.
Long rest: Spend any number of HD to regain HP, then regain X HD.

X might be "Roll whatever type of die your HD is."

This is my guess.

Rob the 5th level rogue is with his party and fight some goblins and is now at 12. He takes a short rest, spends 2 d8 HD, and heals 7 HP. After another fight, the party rests for the night. Rob rolls his final d8 HD, gains 2 HP to go up to 21, and regains 6 d6 HDs.

It also sound like maximum HP is now your full values of your HD. So it might take several days to roll all the HD to go up to full.

Last edited:

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I don't mind it. It's not speedy like 4e but it's not slow as molasses as other editions. It's a risk since it's a new mechanic, but on the whole I think it strikes a good balance between compromise towards all editions and workability.

The only downside now is that by trying to satisfy everyone they might end up pissing off everyone.

Wait, no, I take that back. They'll piss off everyone just on the basis that D&D fans seem to like being in a permanent state of pissed offedness.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Hit points are not *my* old friend.

Conceding that they are difficult to get rid of, it's still hard to see the positives in this implementation. At least it's not healing surges and it takes time to heal, but damage still doesn't really mean anything, and if they're still doing hit points by level, there's still a steep power curve.

A. The first part about how HP manifest in the world is extremely important and should be written in CAPITAL BOLD LETTERS in the PHB and DMG with the DMG version having a couple of pages with examples and "how to"s for DMs.
Well, they've clearly articulated why hit points are a bad mechanic. They've too vague, too abstract, represent too many things that many people probably don't want represented. But at least they wrote it down.

How long until we get a decent alternate health system?

Zireael

Explorer
Originally Posted by Blackwarder
A. The first part about how HP manifest in the world is extremely important and should be written in CAPITAL BOLD LETTERS in the PHB and DMG with the DMG version having a couple of pages with examples and "how to"s for DMs.

With any luck, the vast majority of gamers might even read it this time. :]

Agreed.

I like the HD separated from hitpoints and different rest forms having a different use.

mkill

Adventurer
It's funny that Mearls' proposal is how 13th Age does it. I guess it's just a case of like-minded people coming to similar conclusions. Still makes me curious just how similar the two systems will end up.

An interesting idea showed up in a thread over at Wizards.com.

During combat:

What if “nonmagical healing” especially like that of the Warlord only heals before a character becomes “bloodied”. These hitpoints represent alertness, morale, and the ability to avoid serious injury.

Oppositely, “magical healing” especially like that of the Cleric only heals after a character becomes “bloodied”. These hitpoints represent the miraculous healing of serious injuries. Wading into battle even after becoming bloodied also conveys a feeling of test-of-faith.

Such mechanics express the flavors well, adds interesting distinctions, and prevents healing from feeling “samey”.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
An interesting idea showed up in a thread over at Wizards.com.

What if “nonmagical healing” especially like that of the Warlord only heals before a character becomes “bloodied”. These hitpoints represent alertness, morale, and the ability to avoid serious injury.

Oppositely, “magical healering” especially like that of the Cleric only heals after a character becomes “bloodied”. These hitpoints represent the miraculous healing of serious injuries. Wading into battle even after becoming bloodied also conveys a feeling of test-of-faith.

Such mechanics express the flavors well, adds interesting distinctions, and prevents healing from feeling “samey”.

Bad idea on the cleric side.

a d6 wizard could potentially have a very loow "bloodied" amount. Having to wait for 1/2 HP would have wizard always and constantly waiting in OHKO 2HPS mode before being topped over.

Instead Clerics could be the best healer by being the most reliable healer as his heals always work. Only spell slots limits them.

The warlord could heals more often but only to the barely hurt and never the "lucky to be alive" or dying.

Drruids would have fewer resources than the cleric. Bards would have weaker heals the cleric.

Remove ads