D&D 5th Edition Guidelines for D&D Next playtest/adventure discussion here at ENW - Page 2

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratecat View Post
    Please don't:

Repost any mechanics
    Post any of the rules or character sheets
    Are they really going to enforce that for the open playtest that anyone can sign up and download? Is there some kind of ultra-secret tech that prevents Paizo employees from downloading it, and we all need to stay really really quiet so they can't find out about it?
    Last edited by GX.Sigma; Wednesday, 23rd May, 2012 at 09:30 AM.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Majoru Oakheart
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by GX.Sigma View Post
    Are they really going to enforce that for the open playtest that anyone can sign up and download? Is there some kind of ultra-secret tech that prevents Paizo employees from downloading it, and we all need to stay really really quiet so they can't find out about it?
    My guess is it's a legal thing. I'm guessing they can't sue someone for distributing the play test version of the rules with an essay on how the rules have changed since then when the game comes out since the play test is being distributed free and publicly.

However if they make each and every person agree that the work is still copy written despite being free and also agree not to put it up on their own websites then WOTC can go around sending cease and desists to any site that has the play test up on it when the game gets released.
    Majoru Oakheart

Secret Attorney of the Guidelines for the <Sorry, you didn't make the DC 20 Perception check, and you don't have another minor action to try again. Next time try finding an Elf to stand nearby you.>

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Minigiant
    Hmmm...

I predict a lot of "Rogue HP is too low because it is based on that value on his sheet. This is because something bad happened when the group reached pages 12. In THAT one room."
    My beard is hairy.

The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Blog Entries
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

Ignore Morrus
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by nnms View Post
    If I am looking to make sure I'm running the game as written or have a question about how to use the rules to resolve things, how do I ask about that? And how does anyone give me a meaningful answer without doing the above?
    In general, if your post involves the use of copy/paste, it's a definite no-no.

You can certainly say "I think d14 hit dice for the astrologer class is too high". You can't post:

Astrologer*
    Hit Dice: d14
    Starting Skills: Navel Gazing, Bad Science, Self-Delusion
    BAB: +1
    Starting Money: 11d7 gp
    etc.

So you can comment on and refer to a stat block, but you can't post the stat block.

Or you can post "Does tying your shoelaces provoke an opportunity attack?" and someone can respond "Yep, shoelace tying is in the list on page 14." But you can't post:

Opportunity Attacks*
    Opportunity attacks occur when a character performs a certain action while adjacent to another creature. The adjacent creature gets an immediate free attack, and can do so as many times as its DEX bonus. The following actions provoke opportunity attacks: x, y, z.

*Yes, all the above is real stuff directly from D&D Next.**
    **Not guaranteed to be true.

Writing TimeWatch!
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Ignore Piratecat
    My communities:

I'll try to get clarification on some of these. Good questions. I think - and don't quote me on this yet - it won't be too tough for most things. For instance, if we 're discussing baristas, I can say "the barista's summon latte power is totally broken. See page 13? What's with the 1d6 milk foaming?" But I can't copy and paste the rule.

As others have said, this isn't to stop Paizo from reading the rules. Of course they will if they choose! It's a legal restriction to stop me from grabbing this and self-publishing "Kevin's Awesome 5e clone."

Interesting question about new monsters. I think that's going to be okay, at least in stripped down stat block mode, but I'll ask.
    - Piratecat, EN World Admin. Now writing TimeWatch, an investigative time travel game.

Writing TimeWatch!
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Ignore Piratecat
    My communities:

...and Morrus beats me to the answer AND is funnier. Bastard.
    - Piratecat, EN World Admin. Now writing TimeWatch, an investigative time travel game.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Blog Entries

Ignore Mercutio01
    I almost missed this as it's fallen about a third of the way down the page. Should it get a sticky?

Scout (Lvl 6)

Ignore erf_beto
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercutio01 View Post
    I almost missed this as it's fallen about a third of the way down the page. Should it get a sticky?
    Definetly, but perhaps only after we see WotC's official statement.

Mod Squad
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Blog Entries

Ignore Umbran
    In practice, stickies enhance one's ability to find a thread, but typically decrease the thread's traffic and visibility. If it is constantly in one place, folks tend to elide over it in their reading of the forum.

So, for now, as it is discussed, bumps are better than stickies. When it settles down and people need it for reference later, a sticky would be preferable.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore Serendipity
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbran View Post
    So, for now, as it is discussed, bumps are better than stickies.
    Indeed. *bump*
    "The glass is not half-full, the glass is prepared."

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast