D&D Next (5E) Guidelines for D&D Next playtest/adventure discussion here at ENW - Page 6

+ Log in or register to post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mod Squad
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Blog Entries

Ignore Umbran
    Quote Originally Posted by shidaku View Post
    WOTC needs playtesters, not yes-men. If John isn't psyched about DDN, wouldn't the playtest be a great way to give him a taste of what it looks like?
    He cannot be *given* a taste. He must reach out and take it when it is offered. There's a minimum level of engagement required of a playtester, and anyone doing broad testing has a need to track feedback. Signing up is a minor action any playtester should be willing to do once.

They don't have to send you a "sorry we didn't accept you" letter, they just won't send you anything at all.
    And exactly how many "Hey, I signed up to playtest, and I haven't gotten *anything* from them!!!1!" notes have we seen on these boards that haven't been resolved?

Evidence, or it didn't happen, dude.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Blog Entries

Ignore Charwoman Gene
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbran View Post
    Signing up is a minor action any playtester should be willing to do once.
    This is in error. D&D Next eliminates minor actions.
    New Sig Rules are lame, and I am cheap.

The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Blog Entries
    13th Age Superman Circvs Maximvs ENnies Pathfinder ZEITGEIST Doctor Who

Ignore Morrus
    Quote Originally Posted by shidaku View Post
    WOTC needs playtesters, not yes-men. If John isn't psyched about DDN, wouldn't the playtest be a great way to give him a taste of what it looks like? It's not my job to get John psyched about DDN, but I do intend to playtest the product, and I'm not going to tell my best friends to stay home 'cause Wizards didn't approve them as testers.

Because I've beta-tested before, call it experience. They don't have to send you a "sorry we didn't accept you" letter, they just won't send you anything at all.
    There is no approval process.

Potassium-Rich Moderator
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Blog Entries

Ignore Kamikaze Midget
    Quote Originally Posted by mudbunny
    That is not the fault of WotC. That is due to (IIRC) legal precedent saying that kids under 13 cannot legally enter into contracts.
    Yeah, but it shouldn't be too hard for WotC's legal ninjae to write a reasonable agreement that also lets you play with your son, or with your luddite gaming group, or with more than 5 characters, or with a modified adventure that includes a different plotline, without violating it. No copies, no derivatives, must be signed up to WotC's site...that seems to be what we're ACTUALLY agreeing to, whether or not we have any intention of upholding that agreement.

I mean, maybe it is too hard for them to write an agreement like that (in reality) but it probably shouldn't be (in the impossible world where everything makes sense).
    -- Jacob J Driscoll, dating your mom.---
    "The king of the jungle was asleep in his car..."
    Most Recent Article: FREE ADVENTURE, DUDE!
    FINAL FANTASY ZERO
    finalfantasyzero.wikidot.com
    Also, game-style musings:
    daedaluswing.wikidot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Umbran View Post
    Signing up is a minor action any playtester should be willing to do once.
    Well, it certainly isn't a "swift action."

Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Wizards of the Coast

Ignore mudbunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze Midget View Post
    Yeah, but it shouldn't be too hard for WotC's legal ninjae to write a reasonable agreement that also lets you play with your son, or with your luddite gaming group, or with more than 5 characters, or with a modified adventure that includes a different plotline, without violating it. No copies, no derivatives, must be signed up to WotC's site...that seems to be what we're ACTUALLY agreeing to, whether or not we have any intention of upholding that agreement.

I mean, maybe it is too hard for them to write an agreement like that (in reality) but it probably shouldn't be (in the impossible world where everything makes sense).
    I suspect that what we have here is a conflict between the D&D Next team, who want to get this into as many hands as possible, and a legal team that is uber-paranoid and wanting to (as is their job) protect the IP (and WotC and Hasbro) legally as much as possible.

I *suspect* (with no evidence whatsoever) that in a week or two, some of the restrictions will be lifted.

As for kids, while they cannot enter into legal contracts themselves, I believe (and IANAL) that legal precedent states that the parents can enter into contracts *for* them. (Again, I am not a lawyer, and I am *very* fuzzy on this.)

WotC's over-corporatization of the entire process is a barrier to playtesting (and rather typical of the company). When Paizo playtested Pathfinder, it was a simple process: sign up and download. WotC's treatment of their IP post-OGL makes me think of a greedy, paranoid troll hunched over a pot of soup, certain that someone is going to dip a spoon in.

When you're treating your game like Kevin Siembieda treats his, you may need to rethink your approach.

Quote Originally Posted by B.T. View Post
    WotC's over-corporatization of the entire process is a barrier to playtesting (and rather typical of the company). When Paizo playtested Pathfinder, it was a simple process: sign up and download. WotC's treatment of their IP post-OGL makes me think of a greedy, paranoid troll hunched over a pot of soup, certain that someone is going to dip a spoon in.
    In what way is the D&DN playtest not "sign up and download?" Just curious.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Blog Entries

Ignore Mercutio01
    Quote Originally Posted by GX.Sigma View Post
    In what way is the D&DN playtest not "sign up and download?" Just curious.
    Well, it's:
    1) Sign up in indicate interest
    2) Wait for email
    3) Click link in email and go to website that requires you to sign up for the forums on that site
    4) Wait for second email
    5) Click second email
    6) That doesn't work for hours and hours and hours, sometimes even after the web people say it should work fine
    7) Post a trouble call and wait for third email
    8) After third email, finally get documents.

With Pathfinder it was literally two steps.
    1) Sign up on Paizo's website which redirected immediately after submission
    2) Download documents from the redirected page

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Stalker0
    Quote Originally Posted by B.T. View Post
    Yeah, why would WOTC be paranoid. Its not like another company came along took their product, remade it slightly, and created a new franchise to directly compete with dnd....oh wait
    Is your game having issues with Grind? Check out Stalker0's Guide to Anti-Grind

Do you want a skill challenge system that is less mechanical and encourages more roleplaying? Try my Obsidian Skill Challenge System

Like the core 4e system, but prefer a more balanced system with additional options? Try my Alternate Core Skill Challenge System

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast