HM's Skull & Shackles AP

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
One of the pirates jumps back as Kolto retches on the deck. The whip cracks as Tara starts to asks questions. "No more talking ye scrounge curs. Up the walk and when were done you'll be back to clean that mess Red-man."

Three pirates head up ahead of the group and the others watch as the file up the stairs one at a time. Lightining's little speech brings another sneering smile to the boat swain's lips. "The only reason you are here Blue-man, is because like the Red-man you stuck out in the crowd. Now up and no talking!"

*crack*

The whip snaps and the group quietly follows orders.

The ship still sways back and forth but for most of you it is almost a natural motion and you adjust to it with ease. Reiko and Kalir on the other hand are not so at home on the sea and have to fight a little to keep from turning green.

Your lead up the short steps to the middle hold of what must be a good size vessel. The pirates at the top of the steps usher you across the hold to another set of stairs that lead up to the light of day and the smell of salted air.

Reaching the main deck the group finds most of the rest of the crew already at work. Men (and quite a few women) halling rope and are rolling barrels across the deck. And a couple sailors are up in the rigging working. There are only four others standing apart from the crew, and from there nearly neat appearances they must be new aboard this ship as well.

The other group consists of two humans (one male, one female) a female halfling and a male gnome who seems to only have eyes for the halfling lass standing next to him.

"Glad you could join us at last!" booms a broad muscular Garundi man with a shaved head, a long beard bound with gold rings, and an eye path - clearly the captain - standing above the group on the poop deck.

7277055850_1e55ae9d6f.jpg
"Welcome to the Wormwood! My thanks for ‘volunteering’ to join my crew. I’m Barnabas Harrigan. That's Captain Barnabas Harrigan to you, not that you’ll ever need to address me. I have only one rule—don’t speak to me. I like talk, but I don’t like your talk. Follow that rule and we’ll all get along fine."

“Oh, and one more thing. Even with you new recruits, we’re still short-handed, and I aim to keep what crew I have. There’ll be a keelhaulin’ for anyone caught killin’ anyone. Mr. Plugg! If you’d be so kind as to make pirates out of these landlubbers, it’ll save me having to put them in the sweatbox for a year and a day before I make pies out of ’em.”
"Aye Cap'n!" a younger, balding man with a long black ponytail, wearing a long Andoran naval captain's coat, and carrying a well-used cat-o'-nine-tails.

[sblock=OOC]
Saves vs Seasickness DC 5
Reiko - Fort save +2
Kalir - Fort save +2[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
7277184368_873116e031.jpg

Mr. Plugg walks down from the poop deck and barks an order to the man with the whip. "Master Scourge! Get these dogs in line for a race will you," he says as he looks over the group.

*crack*

"Alright you, you, you, and you - over there. The rest of you to the port side rigging. Now!"

*crack*

"Patch!? Patch?!"

"Aye!" cries a female gnome who's clothes are made up mainly of patches sewn together.

"Up to the crows nest you'll have final say should the race be close. Up with ye now!"

*crack*

"Aye!"

The gnome climbs nimbly up the rigging towards the crows nest sixty feet above the deck.

"All's ready to race Mr. Plugg!" the boatswain says coiling up his whip.

"Thank you Master Scourge. Now to you new crewmen I will make this very simple. First one to the crow's nest is the winner." he looks at the two groups as they stand there staring at him.

"Well GO!"

*crack*

[sblock=OOC]
Race is a bunch of climb checks. For everyone but Kalir it will take 8 DC 10 climb checks to get to the top. For Kalir it takes 12 DC 10 climb checks.

Anyone may opt to try an accelerated climb and raise their DC to 15. If you do and succeeded I will subtract an additional check from those you need to make.

Everyone needs to roll one check at a time and I will post whose in the lead and such after each round.

NOTE:
- fail by 4 or less = no progress (please post some fluff accordingly)
- fail by 5 or more = you fall - will see about catching yourself depending on where you are.

Code:
RACE:
Character       Ft UP    Checks left
Tara              0'         8
Kolto             0'         8
Nightstorm        0'         8
Reiko             0'         8
Lightning         0'         8
Jaakali           0'         8
Bella             0'         8
Kalir             0'         12
[/sblock]

sunshadow21

Explorer
Taking a second to assess the situation, Lightning smiles a bit before demonstrating that he is more than willing to play along with their challenges.

Shayuri

First Post
Tara wars with herself for a second as the others dash for the rigging, but she doesn't hesitate long. As galling as it is to 'accept' this situation, she doesn't think she'll fare well if lashed and thrown overboard...or just plain killed. She had to play along, at least for now. And maybe...who knew? Maybe this Harrigan would be an acceptable first captain, even if the circumstances were deplorable.

She starts strongly, jumping onto the rigging and climbing the ropes with some confidence...

(oops! just now saw the 1 post at a time clause. Apologies. We can just use my first roll if you like, and I'll roll the succeeding rounds over again.)

Last edited:

ghostcat

First Post
Kalir is still feeling the after effects of the poison plus the motion of the boat is not helping. So the last thing he needs is to have to climb the rigging. Still he knows that it will be worse for him if he doesn't try his best. Even if he does not stand a chance.

Unfortunately, he can't quite figure out how one actually climbs a rigging. His initial thoughts on how to climb doesn't work.

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Jaakali always preferred the water work on a ship to the rope work, but still he knew his way fairly well around the rigging. He hustled tot he railing and began his climb up the rigging. Hand over hand, foot over foot. Jaakali was still aware of the lingering effects of the drug in him, hopefully it would not play havoc with his balance.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
Nightstorm now wishes he had had a little more time to master his ki before this had happened. Victory would have been all but assured with that advantage available to him. But with a number of competent looking competitors, some risks will have to be taken.

He tackles the ropes, but in his haste to climb he gets tripped up and is unable to make much progress. Nighstorm curses himself, but he commits to make up for his mistake in the first moments of the race.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases