Death's Domain [HM's 4e game] Recruiting - OOC

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
RECRUITING ANEW - PLEASE POST YOUR INTEREST AND I'LL BRING YOU UP TO SPEED.

If you saw my little rant I can't believe I have these books and modules and have done nothing with them. As I was about to decide on the fourth and final game I wish to start up right now I was torn and couldn't decide, so fate stepped in and rolled for me.

Looks like my next game will be a 4e campaign from H1-E3 (just ordered E3 from Amazon). I wish to at least say I played and gave the game it's fair shake.

Now I know there is alot, alot, a--lot of stuff out there but I want to keep it simple and also see if the game was ready to go out of the box. As this is pbp there will be time for me to add to my collection (if all goes well) and change characters around to see new things if you the players want.

I am looking for beginners (like me) as well as some helpful old timers out there. But since @dave_o started his 4e game first I want anyone wanting to play 4e to give his game a look see first.

This game will be each and every module as I thought they were quiet good and though to converting them to 3.5 at one time. And you couldn't beat the maps and such to lay out on the table.

Ok crunch...

System: D&D 4e
Sources: PHB only (bummer I know)
Generating Characters: Use method #2 for stat gene and the rest is normal (better refresh my memory on that)
Group: Will take 5-6 players. On a first come first to grab a slot - After (note after) 24 hrs. So no posting character concepts till after 11:46pm Thurs (EST) I don't like the first come first serve but I truly dislike telling people sorry you didn't make the cut.
Game: Start with Keep on the Shadowfell - Doesn't matter if you played it a hundred times I'm sure kobold bashing never gets old. And ends with The Prince of Undeath (sounds fun).

HM

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
PHB only is a tough one, due to the way they release new options. If anyone uses the DDI and/or Compendium (like me), then it's almost impossible to screen out stuff that's not in the first PHB. That's like...90% of the stuff. :)

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I'm assuming this is PBP? If so, I won't put my hand up.

Also, it's estimated that it's going to be a minimum (and by minimum, more likely quite longer) of 18 months before 5e is released. You've got plenty of time.

And Shayuri is right; PHB only is going to be a huge turn-off for most people. I recommend a $9.95 subscription to DDI and run a game using the Character Builder and Compendium.

hafrogman

Adventurer
*shrug* I think the first PHB is a fairly viable workframe. When I considered dabbling my toes into DMing for my friends I was going to start out with a PHB only game. It makes it a lot easier to understand the system for a newcomer. The current suite of options can be overwhelming, even more so from the other side of the table.

I already joined Dave-o's game, but if you do find yourself short any players, I can fill in any party holes you may have.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Not sure what you mean WD - My book is one of the first to come out so I guess it will have errata. How would that make the game different?

Also sorry Kzach this will be pbp it's really all I have time for anymore. Hope you tag along and help out with any rules questions/ability questions that arise.

So 2 possibles and a role filler.

Sorry I can't change the source but I don't think I should allow all the craziness. If everything goes well to start I will add in other sources or let people list abilities they know from say the compendium. But I think the first three or so levels should be straight out the box (so to speak).

HM

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Not sure what you mean WD - My book is one of the first to come out so I guess it will have errata. How would that make the game different?
There is a LOT of errata and rules updates that have changed the game in significant ways.

Sorry I can't change the source but I don't think I should allow all the craziness. If everything goes well to start I will add in other sources or let people list abilities they know from say the compendium. But I think the first three or so levels should be straight out the box (so to speak).
Some of the 'craziness' is actually in the PHB and was corrected through later supplements. WotC took the concept of DDI very seriously and so essentially expected people to hook up to it as rules changed and were updated on a monthly basis. A lot of the later content was significantly better than what the PHB presented.

At the end of the day, you can play your game perfectly fine with just the PHB and no updates or errata. It's really just a matter of choice as to whether or not you want to incorporate the new material. IMO, it's worth it to use DDI, but YMMV.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
So are you saying if I went out and bought a PHB today that it would be different/updated and thus a different game??

I looked into the DDI and I'm to old school to pay $6 bucks a month for... well whatever it is they offer. Kudos to the guys who came up with it while at the same time putting out book after book that gamers bought (with probably the same stuff in it as what was added to the Compendium). You know gamers have to have a set and the latest thing out.

But I learned my lesson back in 91' - I had everything and grabbed the newest thing whenever it came out. So I had the 2e core books, the five basic box sets, all the gazetteers, and the brown, blue, and green complete books.

And I realized all that is not necessary to play. Some of those books I remember flipping through only once before putting them on the shelf. All you need is paper, pens, a PHB - and dice (or a dice roller).

HM

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
You can find the published errata on the WotC website.

The PHB's big changes primarily consist of opening up the races a little, changing how the ability score bonuses work, and giving half-elves and humans an option for a different racial power.

The biggest change over all in the first three books would be the revision of the standard skill DC chart.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases