Carrion crown

Dantardis

First Post
DRAMATIS PERSONAE:

ROBYN LONGSTRYDE: A human ranger.

MILLICENT: A surprisingly knowledgeable human barbarian.

DAVID: A human rogue/swashbuckler

RENTHIE: A human cleric

GABRIEL: A swashbuckler

LOAG: An elven wizard

BILLY: Formerly human, now a ghoul/mummy wizard.

And finally, not forgetting the supporting cast of THE MULE who is a mule.

Dantardis

First Post
Trial of the beast

Heading away from the Port of Crabs the group headed towards Lepidstadt. They had been tasked with their mentor to hand some books in to the library.

As they headed along the road they met a group of caravans populated by colourful individuals, or what Robyn called "Freaks". The leader of this group, an albino man called Caleb Hesse asked them to look for their companion Aleece who had gone missing.

Robyn was able to find some tracks that led into a mrashy area. There the group found Aleece's body. Whilst they were examining it they were ambushed by a Phase Spider, but they quickly made short work of it and took the body back to the caravan.

Heading on their way they at last came to Lepidstadt where they were met by David who had gone on before them and an elven mage called Loag. As they were exchanging greetings a ghastly hideous thing that looked a bit like Billy came into view. It was clearly undead, Renthie immediately tried to turn it and Billy ran away, with Renthie, Robyn and Millicent giving chase, meanwhile David and Loag headed into the library. They soon discovered that the person they were due to hand the books in to was in the courtroom at the trial.

Eventually, after Robyn had used a tanglefoot arrow to trap Billy and Millicent had grappled Renthie things calmed down a bit. Billy revealed he had been brought back to life by someone who he thought was called Kauderwelsch. Renthie sulkily gave in and agreed to allow Billy to accompany them and so the group headed to the courthouse.

Dantardis

First Post
Heading to the courthouse the group were quickly witness to a huge, baying crowd. It seemed that a huge, patchwork flesh golem was being put on trial for murder. They eventualy managed to hand the book in to Judge Embreth Daramid.

"Thank you, my fine fellows", he said, "but I wonder if there is something else you could do for me. No one will defend the beast, apart from a stuttering fool and I want this to be a fair trial. Can you assist in defending the creature."

"Where did the creature come from originally", asked Robyn.

"From Castle Caromarc", replied the judge.

"Right we'll head there first", said Renthie

And so to Castle Caromarc the party headed.

Dantardis

First Post
What has gone before - part 1

It all began several weeks ago with the death of the party member's friend and mentor Professor Lorrimar. Whilst, notified that the Professor was dead they also were informed that they were named as beneficiaries in the Professor's will. Intrigued they set out for Harrowstone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

They found Harrowstone to be a barren, windswept place. They were doon introduced to Lorrimar's daughter Kendra who asked if four of them could serve as pallbearers, and so the small group carried the coffin to the final burial place, the Restlands.

As they reached their destination they were met by several burly villagers, including one Gibs Halpen.

"That's fair enough, we ain't havin no necromancer buried ere, t'aint natural".

"My friend", said Gabriel, "surely you see that Lorimar was no necromancer, he was just interested in what happens after death, a thing that many priests and clerics are too. Surely this is no reason to condemn him, didn't he provide the town with years of devoted service".

The crowd were swayed and Gibs and the others went home, muttering darkly to themselves.

Dantardis

First Post
What has gone before part 2

After returning from the grave site the group headed back to Lorrimor's house to read the will. It made for strange vieweing, reading as follows:

"The Land itself is in danger, the balance has been altered.

Over the last few years I took it as my duty to examine the strange; the ghostly and the otherworldly.

Whenever I could I tried to resolve the issue, but all the time I sensed there was something deeper, something darker, behind it all.

My last wish in ths life is that you take up my mission -explore the lands around here and seek out this deeper darkness and destroy it, only then will the land be safe".

It was a lot to ask - to embark on a quest without any idea of its final resolution, but the party agreed to do so.

Dantardis

First Post
What has gone before part 3

It was a few days later, the party had busied themselves with the finer details of Lorrimor's will, he had asked them to take some books to someone in Lepidstadt and they had found a note that made mention of a group called the Whispering Way whose aims seemed to be the complete opposite of the Professor.

As they went about their daily business in the town it appeared that someone had painted a large letter V on some kind of memorial. Examining it closely Millicent was able to determine that it was blood, specifically cat blood. Perturbed the party moved on.

Looking in the town library Gabriel found that there was mention of a place called Harrowstone- an old prison that had been used to house the kingdom's most dangerous criminals and mention to the 5 most dangerous- including a creature known as the Splatter Man who seemed to act in the way that the writing on the memorial indicated.

The group decided to set up an ambush for whoever was doing the graffitti, Robyn and David took up position on the town wall, while the others hid in some nearby bushes. At midnight the portly figure of Gibs came into view, he looked compelled he took some blood from a waterskin and began to paint a letter 'E'. Before he could complete this work Millicent switched the waterskin to one containing holy water. Once in his mind he had completed his task Gibs returned home, Millicent and Robyn following.

They decided to stand guard outsude his house all night. At dawn there was a loud scream, followed by a gurgle. Rushing in Millicent and Robyn found that Gibs had been killed- it was almost as if someone had punched into his chest and pulled his insides out. The sight affected both of them, Robyn becoming more aggressive and Millicent developed a phobia of rats.

They then decided to head to Harrowstone.

Dantardis

First Post
What has gone before Part 4

The Prison at Harrowstone was a ruin, moss covered everything and it appeared there had been a large fire several years ago. From the stone work it appeared that the buildings were at least 50 years old.

Entering by the main gate, David was overwhelmed by a feeling of evil, and strips of his face started to peel away. Renthie tried to cure this but to no avail.

In order to cover more ground on this level of the prison the party decided to split up, Robyn headed to where part of the wall had crumbled allowing water from the river to seep in. He noted that there appeared to be several skeletons moving about in the water, "There's dead things down there", he quipped.

Gabriel and Renthie decided to check out the warden's cottage which Billy had alredy informed them was structurally unsound, lookiing around they found the warden's journal before having to run for it as the structure collapsed around them.

Meanwhile Millicent and David were patrolling the walls and came to one of the old watch towers, only to find the door wedged shut. Electing to open it they were quickly engulfed in a swarm of nipping and biting rats that made them both feel nauseous. David was quickly able to step away but Millicent was covered in them, it was only when Billy cast a spell that created a ball of flame straight at them that they dispersed.

Feeling slightly daunted the party headed into the main building.

Dantardis

First Post
OOC Discussion

Readers may be wondering about the phobias, agression and skin peeling descriptions I have put in - these are part of the taint rules from Heroes of Horror. I have modified them slightly but I felt that they were very appropriate for this campaign- particularly as Harrowstone is the site of a very evil act.

Also I should mention that although I am using the Carrion Crown adventure path from Pathfinder as a catalyst I am also utilising over adventures that I feel fit well in the setting as my intention was to do a HORROR campaign rather than just a Pathfinder one. To that end I am using adventures from Dungeon magazine that I have, modified plots from Hammer Horror films/episodes of Supernatural etc and in one case a Cthulu adventure which I have taken the storyline and written into D and D format.

The main idea behind this is that the actions of the Whispering Way have started a chain reaction inn the land whereby more evil creatures are coming into being/acting, etc.

Dantardis

First Post
What has gone before part 5

Moving deeper into the first floor of the prison the party were struck by how eerie and silent the place was. Movin cautiously through they eventually came to a workroom.

Whilst looking around a blue mist started to form which quikly coalesced into the form of a young woman. She introduced herself as Vesorianna, late wife of the Warden of the Prison. She explained that agents of the Whispering Way had stolen her husband's badge of office which was the only thing that was keeping the evil ghosts in check. With her powers she was able to stop them manifesting fully in the town but they were getting stronger- only by destroying artifacts significant to them could they be fully destoyed.

"My lady", said Gabriel, "I swear I shall endeavour to help your soul find peace".

With this he turned smartly on his heels, heading further into the dungeon, the rest of the party following.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases