Long Rest - Regain Full Hit Points

Melkor

Explorer
So far, I am ecstatic with what I am seeing in the playtest, but the one thing that bothers me at this point is that your character regains all of its lost hit points after a full 8 hour rest.

I would rather see this as an optional module rule than part of the core, as it means that a character can be near death, and as long as he has 1 hit point going into a Long Rest, the next day, he wakes up miraculously cured of all injury.

Otherwise, again, I am really liking what I am seeing from the playtest rules.

Thoughts?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If the final game ends up with that rule it'd be easy enough to houserule out, but I'd prefer the core rules make it quite a bit harder than that to rest up naturally and then let people houserule 'easy' in.

That said, it's also possible they've chucked that in as a temporary measure simply to make the playtest easier; so you're doing more adventuring (and thus putting more strain on the rules) and less resting.

Lanefan

Scribble

First Post
So far, I am ecstatic with what I am seeing in the playtest, but the one thing that bothers me at this point is that your character regains all of its lost hit points after a full 8 hour rest.

I would rather see this as an optional module rule than part of the core, as it means that a character can be near death, and as long as he has 1 hit point going into a Long Rest, the next day, he wakes up miraculously cured of all injury.

Thoughts?

I don;t have an issue with it... But I also didn't have an issue with 4e's healing myself.

Personally I think it would be easier to make long healing the optional rule here. It seems like changing from long healing assumed to short healing assumed would mess with balance more then changing from short healing assumed to long healing assumed would be.

Incenjucar

Legend

Thoughts?

It should remain the default to prevent a 15 minute work week - people WILL camp for days until they get all their HP over and over otherwise, but a module that introduces slower healing is perfectly reasonable.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Its my one problem right now (which is a good sign I think).

In terms of house ruling, its easier for the DM to give then take away, so I would also prefer a tougher rule as the default, and then allow this as the option.

john112364

First Post
I'm not crazy about that either. But it's easy enough to ignore or house rule. I would say if you can only heal whatever hit dice you have left for healing. If you want to heal up in the morning that's fine. Just don't get hurt during the rest of the day. ;) Or you could just ignore the hit dice/healing mechanic altogether. (Though I kind of like it myself.)

Tehnai

First Post
I don't mind it, but if you would need to houserule it, I would do as such :

A long rest recovers one hit dice (which may be spent immediately). Would make healing a little faster than the old school 1-ish per day of rest, but not so fast either.

Then again, being fully healed after a night of sleep makes sense if you consider that you haven't taken a direct hit until you're under 0 HP. Most adventurers are athletes of sorts and would be able to recover from scrapes and bumps pretty quickly.

Melkor

Explorer
It should remain the default to prevent a 15 minute work week - people WILL camp for days until they get all their HP over and over otherwise, but a module that introduces slower healing is perfectly reasonable.

I get the reasoning behind it, but I also think that it just seems ridiculous for a character to suffer some kind of grievous injury, and without the aid of magic, pop up after an 8 hour rest unscathed. It just feels super gamist.

There are plenty of reasons in an adventure that can keep players from camping for days to get all of their HP back.

This seems like it might be a point of contention with the new rules, and I am sure people's opinions will vary on the issue. That said, I'm not saying my way is right, just expressing how I personally feel about it - if that comes across in any other light, I do not mean it to.

Melkor

Explorer

I get the reasoning behind it, but I also think that it just seems ridiculous for a character to suffer some kind of grievous injury, and without the aid of magic, pop up after an 8 hour rest unscathed. It just feels super gamist.

There are plenty of reasons in an adventure that can keep players from camping for days to get all of their HP back.

This seems like it might be a point of contention with the new rules, and I am sure people's opinions will vary greatly on the issue. That said, I'm not saying my way is right, just expressing how I personally feel about it - if that comes across in any other light, I do not mean it to.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases