Long Rest - Regain Full Hit Points

Incenjucar

Legend
Really easy to house rule, but I certainly prefer a lower rate for the baseline.

The reasons to keep it "full hp" mostly boil down to simplicity, AFAICT. Which isn't an unpersuasive argument, but longer healing periods are hardly exceptionally complicated.

Buh? Full HP recovery with a night's rest actually encourages the 15-minute adventuring day. There's very little cost for resting, so there's every incentive to do it when you've blown your spells. Having it take a few days would ameliorate that.

Extending recovery time just turns "We leave the dungeon for the night and rest at the inn." to "We leave the dungeon for the week and rest at the inn."

dagger

Adventurer
It should remain the default to prevent a 15 minute work week - people WILL camp for days until they get all their HP over and over otherwise, but a module that introduces slower healing is perfectly reasonable.

Did not realize this was a problem since I have never seen nor experience it.

Mercutio01

First Post
Extending recovery time just turns "We leave the dungeon for the night and rest at the inn." to "We leave the dungeon for the week and rest at the inn."

That's cool. I'll just repopulate the dungeon with even bigger baddies, or have the remaining dungeon dwellers call reinforcements and mount a counter-assault, etc.

That's why the 15-minute adventuring/work day has never really happened for me in practice. In fact, the only place I've ever actually seen it is in the computer RPGs, particularly those produced by SSI.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Incenjucar said:

Resting for a week is a much bigger investment than resting for eight hours. For one, it throws a big wrench into the "we don't leave the dungeon, we just board up the walls and rest for the night" plan to regain all of your resources.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I like this in general, but feel it should move to a class ability of clerics and an option that paladins could take.

In other words, a group with someone who had the ability being able to 'full heal through' with rest.

But a stack of rogues and warriors - out of luck.

Years of playing MMOs has made me feel healing needs to move to greater prominence in table top. I've actually got a much more revolutionary proposal that I'm going to toss into a different thread.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I get the reasoning behind it, but I also think that it just seems ridiculous for a character to suffer some kind of grievous injury, and without the aid of magic, pop up after an 8 hour rest unscathed. It just feels super gamist.

Well, since the beginning of D&D a PC is in perfect fighting condition as long as she has at least 1 HP left. Doesn't really sound like "grievious injury" to me... :D

But it's easy indeed to change for any table.

Kinak

First Post
Resting for a week is a much bigger investment than resting for eight hours. For one, it throws a big wrench into the "we don't leave the dungeon, we just board up the walls and rest for the night" plan to regain all of your resources.
It's interesting to note that consequences for the 15 minute workweek are actually cooked into the Caves of Chaos. If you make a sortie, then vanish for a week, it tells you right there what to do.

Which, I think, is one of the reasons that a workweek is actually better than a workday. It doesn't take any more gametime to narrate a week passing than eight hours passing. But it adds downtime to the campaign (so seasons and years pass) and gives the DM a lot more narrative latitude if the players insist on stopping constantly.

That said, worst case scenario is that people have to houserule a long rest being a week. Has some interesting effects on spellcasting too.

Cheers!
Kinak

mlund

First Post
Yeah, it is so easy to drop or limit extended rest HP recovery as a house rule or module that my players may never even notice when I do it to them. They'll just thing "Wow, this is harder than it looks," ... until someone decides to actually read the rules thoroughly, anyway. ;)

pemerton

Legend
Mallus;5920070[i said:
potent[/i] magic healing can fix the penalty for dropping below 0 HP. But let's make this interesting. Let's say your basic Cure Light Wounds (or Potion of Healing) isn't potent enough, thus making the higher level Cure spells mean a bit more.
The name for the spell you're looking for is Death's Door, isn't it (3rd level cleric spell, AD&D UA).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases