Save or suck Medusa petrification

Pickles JG

First Post
Some of the worst encounters I had in 3e involved surprise & die situations - an unspotted Wight Assassin & a Bodak that got surprise. Players dieing before making a meaningful action is in no way fun. It is not even frightening as it happens before you can get nervous. So the except while surprised clause is right out.

I can live with the other mechanic as choosing to get disadvantage or risk stony death might be exciting, except I expect everyone will be averting their gaze, we will see.

I am not sure the myths specify how fast the Medusa turned people to stone so having it take some time (a few seconds) seems plausible. I am pretty sure they do not mention saving throws.

Some of the worst encounters I had in 3e involved surprise & die situations - an unspotted Wight Assassin & a Bodak that got surprise. Players dieing before making a meaningful action is in no way fun. It is not even frightening as it happens before you can get nervous. So the except while surprised clause is right out.

I can live with the other mechanic as choosing to get disadvantage or risk stony death might be exciting, except I expect everyone will be averting their gaze, we will see.

I am not sure the myths specify how fast the Medusa turned people to stone so having it take some time (a few seconds) seems plausible. I am pretty sure they do not mention saving throws.

A few seconds is perfectly acceptable and in line with what is depicted in the movies. A combat round is 6 seconds long. Turning to stone in a combat round is thus a few seconds and perfectly fine.

stevelabny

Explorer
Medusa being save or stone is absolutely positively the #1 BEST thing I've seen so far in the playtest.

ITS A FREAKIN MEDUSA.

Its what they do.

Adventurers explore. Dragons breathe fire. MEDUSAS TURN YOU TO STONE.

At any table I ever play at, in any game I ever run, thats what Medusas will do.

vagabundo

Adventurer
I vote that the Medusa Queen is a unique creature that can turn you into stone instantly and will often hide in shadow and jump out and say boo!!

Her children, and their progeny; all the other snake haired Medusa chicks, don't have her power, instead they slowly petrify you or have other interesting powers.

Their should really be a Unique entry for some creatures and Medusa - the original - would fit in there.

Dornam

First Post
Medusa petrifying with a gaze is classy and not at all a problem.

Automatically able to avert eyes is elegant.

Maybe being hosed if the Medusa has surprise is fine - unless a jerk DM does it 24/7.

Really this is not a design problem, the 4e Medusa was!

Walking Dad

First Post
But unless the players are surprised or stupid, they won't turn anyone to stone. It is just a creature that gets always advantage and you always have disadvantage against. Not very exiting.

Traken

First Post
The Medusa ducks behind some rubble and hides. The adventurers stop averting their eyes. The Medusa charges. They are surprised and don't get to avert their eyes.

Nothing is terribly exciting on a flat, open field without a dragon being involved.

Mattachine

Adventurer
In my game, every medusa is THE, original medusa!

They all have to be exactly as I remember her being described in a Greek myths book I read in middle school, or in that titans movie.

Walking Dad

First Post
So multiple save or sucks in one combat are your way to go? I'm not sure they meant "getting behind a rock and out again" to be a condition for a surprise round. If they do, I'm out of this.

Walking Dad

First Post
In my game, every medusa is THE, original medusa!

They all have to be exactly as I remember her being described in a Greek myths book I read in middle school, or in that titans movie.
Then you surely know that "Medusa" in the myth is the name of one of the gorgons, right. Yes, D&D has to be so close to the myth...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases