[Retired Proposal]: Allow one exception to the overhaul rules of no class changing.

Someone

Adventurer
This proposal is retired.

[sblock]TL;DR: Allow an exception to the current character overhaul rules to allow Prime to change class from Fighter to hybrid Fighter|Battlemind

Justification: The character overhaul option allows a one time modification of a given character’s mechanics so it can be altered beyond what the rules of retraining allow, but keeping the PC’s basic premise. Changing class would work against this idea, as classes are tight archetypes with clearly defined bounds and mechanics and changing a PC from Wizard to Rogue, for example, would end in a completely different thing no matter how hard the player tries.

Prime (sheet here) is a slightly reskinned Warforged Fighter built around the idea of extreme toughness, enemy disruption and protection. It does a good job as Fighter, but recently I realized it could do better as a hybrid. This is how the modified Prime would look like:

[sblock]
Prime, level 7
Warforged, Battlemind|Fighter
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid): Hybrid Power Point Option
Hybrid Talent: Fighter Combat Talent
Fighter Combat Talent: Battlerager Vigor (Hybrid)
Theme: Guardian
Background: Early Life - Isolated (Perception class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 19, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 26 Fort: 19 Reflex: 17 Will: 18
HP: 70 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 17

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +12, Athletics +8, Endurance +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +3, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +5, History +3, Insight +7, Intimidate +4, Nature +5, Religion +3, Stealth, Streetwise +2, Thievery

FEATS
Level 1: Armor Proficiency: Plate
Level 2: Shield Push
Level 4: Warforged Tactics
Level 6: Hybrid Talent
Feat User Choice: Bludgeon Expertise

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Crushing Surge
Hybrid at-will 1: Bull's Strength
Hybrid Power Point Option: Shield Edge Block
Psionic Defense (Hybrid): Blurred Step
Hybrid daily 1: Living Fortress
Hybrid utility 2: Endure Pain
Hybrid daily 5: Rain of Steel
Hybrid utility 6: Unbreakable
Hybrid at-will/encounter 7: Lightning Rush

ITEMS
Knockback Warhammer +1, Heavy Shield, Adamantine Plating Layered Plate Armor +2, Amulet of Life +1, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier), Moradin's Blessing of Iron (level 8)[/sblock]

It continues being a warforged and a defender, it’s tougher and defends allies by redirecting attacks to himself as previously. He keeps pushing people around, has many of the signature abilities he had and even keeps the same ability scores and theme. Therefore, the central idea of the overhaul’s rules of improving a character’s mechanics while keeping it’s core is preserved even though Prime changes half his class.

Other options: The usual option in this case is to recreate the character with the retirement rules. I find it unacceptable in this case not only because it would mean a large drop in experience points but because the loss of continuity with the old Prime, as it has to be a new character and would feel too disconnected.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Luinnar

First Post
Other options: The usual option in this case is to recreate the character with the retirement rules. I find it unacceptable in this case not only because it would mean a large drop in experience points but because the loss of continuity with the old Prime, as it has to be a new character and would feel too disconnected.
Actually it could still be Prime, just with a different character sheet:

It is permitted to recreate the "same" character with different mechanics, in order to change the character in ways beyond what the one-time overhaul allows. (For instance, turning a wizard into a sorceror, or an orc into a half-orc.) This can be accompanied by an explanation in-game (such as revealing that the orc has a hidden human parent) or considered a ret-con (such as declaring that the wizard was always a sorceror, and building him as a wizard in the first place was a mistake).

I created my dragoborn fighter around your level, I had enough magic items and everything. I can give you 2 of my DM credits if you want to level him to 7 before you retire him if it is OK with [MENTION=79956]dimsdale[/MENTION] :)

JoeNotCharles

First Post
In my opinion, there's no need to have general rules for everything people might want to do. If you want to change class, just make a proposal "let Prime change class". It's been done before.

The judge's don't have to think about possible consequences nearly as hard for a one-time ruling like that as they do for a new rule that people could use in the future.

Someone

Adventurer
In my opinion, there's no need to have general rules for everything people might want to do. If you want to change class, just make a proposal "let Prime change class". It's been done before.

The judge's don't have to think about possible consequences nearly as hard for a one-time ruling like that as they do for a new rule that people could use in the future.

Looks like I was less clear that I intended. The "one exception" in the thread title is talking about allowing only Prime to change class, is not intended to change the current ruling at all.

dimsdale

First Post
I created my dragoborn fighter around your level, I had enough magic items and everything. I can give you 2 of my DM credits if you want to level him to 7 before you retire him if it is OK with [MENTION=79956]dimsdale[/MENTION] :)

OOC: I don't mind. Go for it.

Someone

Adventurer
That's very generous of you, [MENTION=44459]Luinnar[/MENTION]. In that case, and after leveling Prime to 8 with the two DM credits and doing some malabarisms with the starting equipment, the result is pretty much what would result from overhauling, so I'll accept the offer and retire the proposal.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases