What's your gaming history before coming to 3e?

What's your D&D history look like?

• 3e D&D was the first version of D&D I played (whether or not I've played other RPGs)

Votes: 24 6.8%
  • I started with 2nd edition AD&D, and now play 3e

Votes: 68 19.2%
  • I started with 1st edition AD&D (or earlier), moved to 2nd edition, and now play 3e

Votes: 147 41.5%
  • I started with 1st edition D&D (or earlier), [b]didn't[/b] play (or gave up on) 2nd edition, and now

Votes: 104 29.4%
  • I started with 1st or 2nd edition D&D (or earlier), and [b]still[/b] play the older edition instead

Votes: 11 3.1%

Gez

First Post
The first choice is dubious. I would have voted it if I was sure "the game" implied "a version of the D&D RPG", and not the hobby as a whole. Maybe split it with your mighty moderator powers into "D&D3 was my first RPG" and "D&D3 was my first D&D, but I've gamed before" ?

My background:
Terres de Légendes (French version of Dragon Warriors)
Rêve de Dragon (Multisim, France)
Ars Magica (French version by Descartes (of the 4e ?))
Guildes (Multisim, France)
Nightprowler (Asmodée/Siroz, France)
Vampire: la Mascarade (Hexagonal, French version of the V:tM 1 by White Wolf)
Mage: l'Ascension (idem)
Vampire: l'Age des Ténèbres (ibidem)
Changelin: le Songe (Ludis, French version of C:tD 1 by White Wolf)
INS/MV (Asmodée/Siroz, France)
D&D3 (Guess who, from where)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Re: Re: What's your gaming history before coming to 3e?

Darkness said:
My first version of (A)D&D was 2e. I was fed up with it for a few years before 3e came out, but 3e then brought me back to D&D. I also prefer 3e to 2e, for the most part.

i'll echo that. i played 2E off-and-on from about... 1990-1997, and really didn't play again until last year.

Ran

First Post
On Dungeons I voted 2nd and 3rd, but not quite real...

I started on the birth of AD&D 2nd edition, then played t for some time, played also AD&D 1st edition and D&D (the start of all it), now on 3rd edition, some friends hate it, some love it, i like the freedom, you CHOOSE to be something, you are NOT BORN it, that is much more ... well, the word escaped me !?!?!NICE!?!...

Anyway, 3rd edition has it problems, just that its advantages are more interesting, maybe for one single exception, old D&D, the first, it is still the greatest...

diaglo

Adventurer
I started with Original D&D (1974). It became Basic. Although I never called it that. :mad: I played 1edADnD. I played 2edADnD for a short while. I play Turd ed, the one for 3etards.

I prefer Original D&D (1974). It is the only true game. All the other editions are just poor imitations of the real thing.

however, Turd ed is the only game in town. :(

i didn't vote. as i don't want to cast my vote for Turd ed. and none of the other choices seem to fit my situation.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
diaglo said:
i didn't vote. as i don't want to cast my vote for Turd ed. and none of the other choices seem to fit my situation.

That's pretty clearly the "I still play 1e" choice, if you're only playing 3e through desperation. :D By the way, I'd appreciate it if you didn't use the "3etards" or "turd ed" label here; it's no big deal if you don't like the game, but insulting folks who do isn't especially cool. Thanks!

JeffB

Legend
The choices did not exactly fit my case.

I started with the brown books, then moved onto a hybrid of 1E and the OD&D and B/X sets, then quit D&D for Runequest-2, Espionage/Justice, Inc., and a few other game systems of the time period .I then quit playing tabletop RPG’s for about 15 years and got back into the hobby more or less “full time” in 1998 (I had bought the 2E books in 1996, and started to stay up to date with the hobby, but did not play). Ran a 2E campaign for awhile. Had a 2 failed 3E campaigns after it’s release (we just didn’t like the rules complexity underneath the smoother mechanics). Played some other stuff for about a year. Recently started running a few 3E games using my typical “rules light” approach to gaming instead of going by the books, and we had much more fun than we did previously with the system. We are still undecided if we will stick with 3E ‘full time” or not for fantasy gaming… there are other fantasy systems we like better overall (Exalted, Earthdawn, and Lejendary Adventure in particular.) And we are considering a Basic/Expert D&D run as well.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I started with the original books, myself. We also had to sculpt our own dice out of dirt, and we liked it.

I played 1E a lot when it came out, then moved to RuneQuest for a spell, then to HERO for a long, long time. I'd play 1E now and again, but everyone and their brother thought he was a game designer and had all these house rules that made me wonder why I'd even bought a PH. That turned me off it more than anything.

2E completely renewed my interest in D&D, and we played that for many many years. Didn't house rule it a lot, either, save for maybe two or three things more for variety than to fix anything we thought was truly broken. But we still played maybe 1/3 2E, 1/3 Call of Cthulhu, and then 1/3 something else during all that time.

With 3E, I'm just bowled over. It's almost everything I've ever wanted in an RPG system. It'll be years before I even play all the classes and try all the things I want to. We seldom play anything else now. Even this year's CoC event will be with CoC d20.

Remove ads