What's your gaming history before coming to 3e?

What's your D&D history look like?

• 3e D&D was the first version of D&D I played (whether or not I've played other RPGs)

Votes: 24 6.8%
  • I started with 2nd edition AD&D, and now play 3e

Votes: 68 19.2%
  • I started with 1st edition AD&D (or earlier), moved to 2nd edition, and now play 3e

Votes: 147 41.5%
  • I started with 1st edition D&D (or earlier), [b]didn't[/b] play (or gave up on) 2nd edition, and now

Votes: 104 29.4%
  • I started with 1st or 2nd edition D&D (or earlier), and [b]still[/b] play the older edition instead

Votes: 11 3.1%

I'm not sure what to answer. I started with 1st edition, played 2nd edition and now play both all three editions at various times. So what do I answer?

RSKennan

Explorer
It started in 6th grade....
Ran 1e for about 8 mos out of transcirbed composition notebooks
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (played 1 game)
2e came out, tried it for about 2 years, got sick of it, but kept buying books (completed first campaign from 1e, many other abortive attempts)
Strar Trek 1e FASA version.
MERPS
Shadowrun
Rolemaster
Developed 1st version of my own system (D1000 yeah!) Finished 2nd campaign

Played everything around for a few years (Vampire,Deadlands, Earthdawn, The End, Legacy, etc) three new versions of my home game (abandoned percentile/decimal system)

The turning point:
Played CoC, Ars Magica, Wasteworld (practically a d20 game) , but continued to run my own rules system.
3e came out and I was brought back into the fold. I still entertain the idea of releasing my own rules in a few years, but 3e/d20 makes me happy for now.

It's been a lot of fun, and I'm really glad 3e came out. It was starting to feel like us roleplayers had no common ground anymore. My old groups were pretty insular, not wanting to mix. Even though I had about 30 players, they all played different games (except for my system).

If I'm rambling, it's because I just woke up.

John Crichton

First Post
Started with 2e, loved it for what it was. Switched to 3e in a heartbeat. Played Palladium, Star Wars WEG & Vampire on and off. D&D 2e was the mainstay until 3e came along. Been running games for about 10 years. :)

Laslo Tremaine said:
Wow! That's an amazingly nice bell-curve!!! :eek:

(or at least it was when I posted this...)
Except that the options aren't on a continuum, they are discrete options that could be in any order. So I wouldn't make too much out of it!

maddman75

First Post
I started with 2e, but played some 1e as well. While I liked 1e, with its cooler classes and such, I didn't feel there was enough difference to go and try to track down a mess of out of print books. Our gaming tapered off and nearly collapsed completely. 3e got us playing again, and we are having games like we haven't had in ten years.

No vote, but:

Basic/Expert (1981) - 1E (1982) - (skipped 2E) - 3E (2000)

I like 'em all, but play 3E as it's the easiest to find players for, plus rules consistency is a +.

Agnostic Paladin

First Post
I played Original until 2nd Advanced was released, then didn't do much for a few years until 3rd. A bit of Storyteller, bit of Rifts, but never more than two sessions in a row.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Started gaming with D&D Basic (Red Box), and played other TSR box set games of the era - Star Frontiers, Gamma World, etc. At that point, I was pretty much unaware that other companies even existed. We moved on to 1e AD&D, but pretty much stayed with TSR.

Then a friend got a hold of Paranoia, and my gaming horizons broadened a bit even as my characters' horizons vanished altogether. From there, we got into CoC and Champions.

WHen I went off to college, I played a bit of 2e, because that's that people were playing, didn't get into it all that much. Pendragon really grabbed me sometime during sophamore year.

After gaduation, I played a some 2e D&D (my first coherent homebrew setting, so I have a fondness for it) , and then took a break from gaming altogether.

Came back for 3e.

Davelozzi

Explorer
First game I ever played was a 10 second session of AD&D (Tomb of Horrors with first level characters - my friend's brother didn't really want to DM for us but we kept bugging him).

Then I picked up the red box basic set (Elmore cover) and played it and the expert set for a while. I would consider this my real intro to gaming, as it was the first product that I owned.

Next I picked up the AD&D 1e rulebooks. Although I guess I would say that it was my game of choice for a few years there, I'm not sure if I ever actually played or just spent a lot of time reading books.

My first (and second) full-fledged campaigns were in 2e.

Then I had a short lived Alternity campaign.

Now I'm running 3e and hoping to do some Spycraft on the side sometime soon.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases