So the playtest is out: What do you think? The EN World poll!

What do you tihnk of the playtest package?

• Dunno. I couldn't/can't access it.

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Hated it. It fills me with rage.

Votes: 14 2.7%
  • Disliked it. Not what I was hoping for.

Votes: 53 10.0%
  • Meh. I'm ambivalent. On the fence. Neutral. Indifferent.

Votes: 109 20.6%
  • Liked it. Looks like WotC is going in a good direction.

Votes: 275 52.1%
  • Loved it. It fills me with ecstasy and joy.

Votes: 61 11.6%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So you've had a few days to digest the D&D Next playtest package. You've probably posted a playtest report, asked a question or two, or commented constructively. Certainly you haven't flown into a rage or anything so silly.

So here's the poll. What are your general impressions. Did you like it?

If you're viewing this on the news page, the poll is to your right --->. If you're viewing it as a forum thread, it's at the top of the thread ^. If you're viewing it in the newsletter, you'll need to click through to the site to vote, likewise if you're viewing it on a mobile app. If you're viewing it some other way, then I haven't a clue. Click on one of the links or something!

Attachments

• Dungeons-and-Dragons-logo.png
    Dungeons-and-Dragons-logo.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
Somewhere between Meh and liked it. I would have no problem running it as is, as Im a old school KISS DM. But at the same time I am not sure its does anything better than the PFBB or C&C. It will come down to support materials for me assuming the core game remains relatively intact.

Falstaff

First Post
I like it and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of what WotC has designed. If I had to pick something I'd like to see different, I would say that I'd like critical damage to be a dice roll instead of a flat number. Oh, and also maybe Long Rest to be re-designed to be a little grittier.

pogre

Legend
I like it and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of what WotC has designed. If I had to pick something I'd like to see different, I would say that I'd like critical damage to be a dice roll instead of a flat number. Oh, and also maybe Long Rest to be re-designed to be a little grittier.

I like it too.

I think the things you mention as possible changes I might do too, but they are easily sidebarred with alternative rules. I have a feeling we will see a lot of options for implementing rules.

They just need to create some workable core rules and then give options and suggestions to make it more palatable for each group. I believe that will be the key to mostly reuniting D&D players behind one game.

ArmoredSaint

First Post
I definitely like more about it than I dislike.

In fact, the only thing I think is terribly wrong with it is that Heavy Armour needs to be slightly better. Otherwise, I'm pleased with it as it is.

Tehnai

First Post
Although I'm the first one to admit that my mind is an easy thing to blow...

My mind is blown.

I absolutely love the advantage system, I find the removal of flanking to make the rogue so much more interesting, I love that most folks I've talked to see their own favored edition in it.

I'm very impressed as of now, I'm looking foward to seeing more.

Siberys

Adventurer
"Meh" with "disliked" tendencies. It was better than I was expecting, but that's not saying a lot. The direction the playtest takes is what'll decide it for me, I guess.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Meh.

With each new edition of the game, I was, in general, pretty excited by the idea of updating all my characters, NPCs, etc to match the new rules. 'Next' does not have that effect on me.

I haven't tried it yet, and I will before passing final judgement, but it's not thrilling me so far.

Dedekind

Explorer
I'm really liking it. I really feel like "do whatever you want" is front-and-center.

Some of it seems a little plain (particularly monsters), but that comes back to the DIY legacy of D&D.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
It has a nice beat and I can dance to it.

I like it. It is a kernel of a game not a full game but I am having a blast running it. My group enjoys it so much we scrapped the existing plan of alternating our current campaign and playtests to running straight playtest every week. First run was for fun, now we try to break it.

Dis/advantage is a very swingy but simple addition. Love it.
The fighter seemed weak to me as DM, but the fighter player reminded me that he had disadvantage most of the night and rolled crappy to boot. We want to try the dual themed fighter next go to see how it plays.
The healing debacle is that there is too much short rest healing floating around with a healers herbalism kit and long rest full heal together. One or the other is fine, but both seems excessive. Devil's Advocate, the party was able to rip through CoC in good time due to the short rest HD and potions. The cleric of Pholtus, the True God of Light, planned on staying in Bastion selling healing potions to adventurers, until he could build a basilica of light.
Felt like D&D even without random tables.

Remove ads