Latest Rule of Three 05/29/2012

Agamon

Adventurer
A Dial of Magic Item Quantity would be my most cherished possession. I will hold him and squeeze him and pet him and call him Fred.

Mengu

First Post
As a 5e skeptic, I like some of these answers. The magic frequency dial sounds precisely like something I might want to use for a high magic game, where even the fighter has a theme that lets him sling around magic bolts.

I hadn't been a fan of the new way they are doing skills, but this answer actually makes quite a bit of sense now. Even in other skill based systems, I sometimes run into the difficulty of a character in a thieves' guild trying to find out information, but he is not trained in any persuasion type skills, and I end up hand waving it to use thievery which doesn't make too much sense as a dexterity based skill. With this method, I can just ask for a charisma check, and allow adding the skill bonus for thievery. I like this quite a bit. But I wonder if there is a better way to present it...

Tallifer

Hero
I am warming to the Wizards' new method of adjudicating skills. (But I would like to see what the Jester at the Wizards' forums thinks about skills in the Fifth Edition, since he wrote several thoughtful and somewhat negative blog articles about them in the Fourth Edition.)

If they make magical items less important than levels for character power I will be happy. But I know that a large segment of gamers complained about the lack of "magical" magic items in the Fourth Edition.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Originally Posted by Agamon
A Dial of Magic Item Quantity would be my most cherished possession. I will hold him and squeeze him and pet him and call him Fred.

... unless it's also a Dial of Broken Math, which seems likely to me.

"This Staff of the Magi goes to 11."
"Well, why don't you just make the staff more powerful and call that 10?"

"...this goes to 11."

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Not all dials are meant to keep balance the same. Some will change balance; others will not. I would expect a magic item dial to have some effects, but that not be the only effect. If the "equipment" you all around becomes more or less important, this can't help but affect balance on the edges.

drothgery

First Post
Not all dials are meant to keep balance the same. Some will change balance; others will not. I would expect a magic item dial to have some effects, but that not be the only effect. If the "equipment" you all around becomes more or less important, this can't help but affect balance on the edges.
My biggest concern about all the talk of modularity, dials, and options is that it seems likely to create a lot of 'moving parts' that haven't been tested together and can wildly swing balance.

Remove ads