Review of Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG by Goodman Games

R

RevTurkey

Hi, just to let people know...

The support for this game is gathering momentum.

Aside from Goodman Games releasing adventures (plenty coming too), there are a couple of KickStarter projects getting warmed up:

The first is a Sword & Sorcery setting called 'Tales of The Fallen Empire' which seems to answer complaints about DCC not going far enough in it's use of Appendix N style influence.

Here is a link:
Tales From the Fallen Empire: Sword and Sorcery Setting by James Carpio — Kickstarter

The second is from the well respected company Brave Halfling. They have an adventure series KickStarter to get the ball rolling on a series of 6 adventures that are written :D

Here is a link:
Appendix N Adventure Toolkits (DCC RPG Modules) by John Adams — Kickstarter

Check them out. Some other 3PP stuff has been announced as well. A creature book. A Gothic Horror type supplement and spellbook. Also there is a company called Purple Sorcerer that is releasing adventures (already started at rpgnow) and a KickStarter for a cool tablet companion is due to go live soon.

Good stuff.

Feanor Liberius

First Post
I don't wade into these discussions too often (for various reasons), but I felt the need to comment on one aspect.

For those who think this will not bring in new blood, I would only posit the possibility that this in many ways is similar to one of the paths of the infiltration of D&D into the culture. That is, older, more experienced folks introducing younger, inexperienced players to the game.

Specifically, consider that the very "grognards" at which many consider this game to be aimed...many have children; children they introduce to this game.

I can speak from personal experience: my kids love this game. They were in the playtests at GaryCon a year or two ago (their names are even in the book!) learning it right alongside me. They played in a pickup game (run by the inestimable Doug Kovacs) at this most recent GaryCon. They are excited about being signed up for two sessions at GenCon (at their request).

And as others have pointed out, there are play reports of the same or similar experiences - parents playing this game with their kids. I've actually begun to consider that this might be the first game that is essentially built for this model - made with the expectation that it will appeal to "grognards" and be fun enough for them to want to introduce it to the next generation of gamer.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leif

Adventurer
I don't wade into these discussions too often (for various reasons), but I felt the need to comment on one aspect.

For those who think this will not bring in new blood, I would only posit the possibility that this in many ways is similar to one of the paths of the infiltration of D&D into the culture. That is, older, more experienced folks introducing younger, inexperienced players to the game.

Specifically, consider that the very "grognards" at which many consider this game to be aimed...many have children; children they introduce to this game.

I can speak from personal experience: my kids love this game. They were in the playtests at GaryCon a year or two ago (their names are even in the book!) learning it right alongside me. They played in a pickup game (run by the inestimable Doug Kovacs) at this most recent GaryCon. They are excited about being signed up for two sessions at GenCon (at their request).

And as others have pointed out, there are play reports of the same or similar experiences - parents playing this game with their kids. I've actually begun to consider that this might be the first game that is essentially built for this model - made with the expectation that it will appeal to "grognards" and be fun enough for them to want to introduce it to the next generation of gamer.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.
Excellent points, all, Mr. Skach!! It's times like these when I wish the ENWorld XP system was currently functional.
XP for you, CHA-CHING!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I picked this up on the weekend and on the whole am pretty impressed.

I'd houserule the heck out of it before I ever dropped the puck on a DCCRPG campaign, but it's got some very interesting ideas:

- the dice chain...elegant simple way of messing with the odds
- emphasis on small-scale world building
- variable spell effects...though we'd all probably grow tired of having to check the chart every time a spell got cast
- the funnel char-gen system...the only obvious flaw here is what happens if each player starts with 4 0-level characters but the only 4 survivors all belong to the same player?

One downside: the DM section seems to assume a high level of pre-existing familiarity with RPGs, and really glosses over a lot of important elements (e.g. tracking of in-game time); having the 1e D&D DMG handy would almost be essential.

Lanefan

WheresMyD20

First Post
If you really want to emulate Appendix N, you drop the Cleric entirely.

Joe wasn't willing to do that, sadly.

The idea of a character willing to pledge their life and soul to an otherworldly being in exchange for power is very appendix N.

If the term "cleric" seems too D&D, then call them "cultists" or "warlocks" instead.

WheresMyD20

First Post
Absolutely. I was totally on board with a sword-and-sorcery Appendix N reimagination, and got yet another "OSR"-style D&D clone with a few weird house rules.

Appendix N contains more than just sword-and-sorcery. There's horror, science fiction, and high fantasy mixed in there as well.

R

RevTurkey

Hi folks,

The Kickstarter from Brave Halfling that I mentioned in my post above for adventures is gaining pace!

They have just announced a spectacular bonus stretch goal:

"As a natural pessimist, I am hesitant to share my plan for an additional Bonus Goal, but the email requests are already filling my inbox - so I will let all of the supporters know about it first. Five years ago, I spent many months working with Gary Gygax on a unique campaign setting for his game, Lejendary Adventures. We shared back-and-forth almost daily about designing settings, npc races, magic item creation, divine beings, etc. Maps were created and art was commissioned. With Gary's passing and the end of his game, I decided to not release this material. However, from the first time I got to read some of the early DCC RPG play-test material, I knew this campaign setting had found a new home! So my friends, if this kickstarter reaches $15,000, everyone who has pledged $20 or more will also receive a pdf copy and a print copy of, Appendix N Adventure Toolkit #5: "The Old Isle Campaign Setting." This product will include a 11" x 17" color campaign map, a digest Player's and Referee's Guide. While all Appendix N Adventures are generic and can be placed into any campaign, they all do have specific locations in the Old Isle Setting."

So...if you fancy something new in part written by the master himself please consider backing this one :D

Appendix N Adventure Toolkits (DCC RPG Modules) by John Adams — Kickstarter

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases