Review of Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG by Goodman Games

Odhanan

Adventurer
Hi folks,

The Kickstarter from Brave Halfling that I mentioned in my post above for adventures is gaining pace!

They have just announced a spectacular bonus stretch goal:

"As a natural pessimist, I am hesitant to share my plan for an additional Bonus Goal, but the email requests are already filling my inbox - so I will let all of the supporters know about it first. Five years ago, I spent many months working with Gary Gygax on a unique campaign setting for his game, Lejendary Adventures. We shared back-and-forth almost daily about designing settings, npc races, magic item creation, divine beings, etc. Maps were created and art was commissioned. With Gary's passing and the end of his game, I decided to not release this material. However, from the first time I got to read some of the early DCC RPG play-test material, I knew this campaign setting had found a new home! So my friends, if this kickstarter reaches $15,000, everyone who has pledged $20 or more will also receive a pdf copy and a print copy of, Appendix N Adventure Toolkit #5: "The Old Isle Campaign Setting." This product will include a 11" x 17" color campaign map, a digest Player's and Referee's Guide. While all Appendix N Adventures are generic and can be placed into any campaign, they all do have specific locations in the Old Isle Setting."

So...if you fancy something new in part written by the master himself please consider backing this one :D

Appendix N Adventure Toolkits (DCC RPG Modules) by John Adams — Kickstarter
Hm! VERY Cool! :D

Odhanan

Adventurer
I received the gold foil edition yesterday in the mail.

These are a few shots I took myself. Just thought it might be useful for people who want to have a better idea of the look and feel of the book.

DCC-01.jpg

DCC-01b.jpg

DCC-02.jpg

DCC-03.jpg

DCC-04.jpg

DCC-05.jpg

DCC-06.jpg

DCC-07.jpg

DCC-08.jpg

w_earle_wheeler

First Post

Thanks for the photos, Odhanan. I wanted to see if the pages had the same greyscale backdrop art that some previous GG products had. I'm glad to see the pages are clean.

However, it looks like the inside margins aren't wide enough for a book this thick. The reader shouldn't have to force the book absolutely flat in order to read the words near the inside.

That just means that I'll probably end up getting it as a .pdf or a softcover, if the option becomes available.

Odhanan

Adventurer
However, it looks like the inside margins aren't wide enough for a book this thick. The reader shouldn't have to force the book absolutely flat in order to read the words near the inside.
I do agree the inside margins could have been wider. You don't have to open the book flat to be able to read (I'm reading through the book right now and I'm not damaging the binding at all it seems to me), but I do notice it sometimes, and that's a (very) mild annoyance.

Ulrick

First Post
I haven't been this excited about a new RPG product since about 2005 when I picked up the second edition of Warhammer Fantasy Role Play. I want to play this game now.

I bought DCC RPG on Wednesday, and I've already read through large chunks of it in no particular order. I've been randomly picking pages and just reading. There's is just so much cool stuff.

Not so sure on the timeframe.

Not so sure on the timeframe.

I bought the special edition on 6/13/2012. I've yet to hear of an update or receive it.

In the meantime, I've placed orders with RPGnow (in print, not just pdf), Paizo, Amazon, and Nobleknight games. All orders AFTER this order have already arrived...and I'm starting to get worried.

In the end, I suspect I'll get the book..and it'l be awesome...but this experience is dropping it "a star" ---potentially from a 5 star product/experience to a 4 star product/experience.

I order a LOT by mail...and I know timing and such...and understand the difficulties of small businesses and so on...including kerfluffles.

But today I just went to look this up (i.e. why the heck it wasn't in my hands yet...and I have no good answer; that's especially concerning when several other small publishers [smaller than goodman] have delivered on their product.)

I'll try to keep people updated on this.

At this point, I am beginning to want to suggest avoiding Goodman as a means of purchasing this, and getting it via Amazon or Paizo (or some other larger, but less direct seller)...which is against my usual philosophy of "buy from the producer".

But, sometimes the producer isn't as reliable or quick as those other venues. I'm not saying that's the case here...but I'm starting to consider that as a possibility, and sharing that concern with the community.

As I said...I'll update, for good or ill, when I have more info.

Leif

Adventurer
From everything I'm hearing, Goodman is not subject to the foibles that plague WotC and some others. This is very good. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

IronWolf

blank
I bought the special edition on 6/13/2012. I've yet to hear of an update or receive it.

In the end, I suspect I'll get the book..and it'l be awesome...but this experience is dropping it "a star" ---potentially from a 5 star product/experience to a 4 star product/experience.

But today I just went to look this up (i.e. why the heck it wasn't in my hands yet...and I have no good answer; that's especially concerning when several other small publishers [smaller than goodman] have delivered on their product.)

Goodman Games are pretty clear on their shipping policies.

From their Store Policies page:

Store Policies said:
Delivery time: Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery of USA, Canadian, and UK orders; 4-6 weeks for European orders; and 6-8 weeks for Australia, New Zealand, and other locations. We are currently swamped with orders for DCC RPG and may need an extra week to process your order at this time.

I think the extra week note for DCC RPG was added recently, but I know the 2-3 weeks part has been there for awhile. When I went to order my copy I read their policies and was impatient and ordered from somewhere else that I knew had faster shipping.

Given the delivery time note on their page I wouldn't expect something just yet.

I definitely get the frustration about slow shipping and delivery, but I know they stated this up front on their policy page as that policy page is what led me to see if I could find it someplace else that could ship it to me faster.

Ravenheart87

Explorer
I got my book in time, thanks to the pre-order. Joseph said they have so many orders that delays may happen. Heck, they almost sold out the first printing and a second printing is coming soon.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases