Blue/Red/Green lantern and the Army, a playtest

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Ok, so we played a few times. We have just hit level 3. But I am getting ahead of myself. I am DMing. I have had pretty bad luck DMing before. I never was ready to DM when playing my fav edition (2e), but I tried a few times in 3.5, but with no game lasting more them 2 levels. In 4e I tpked in my 1st game.
So for players I have a friend from work who is just starting to go geek. She had read harry potter, twilight, and I just introduced her to the Necroscope. She also is addicted to the game of thrown TV show. She has never played any RPGs, not even a video game rpg. She is playing the fighter.
Player 2 is an old school gamer, he has been playing since basic, before the rest of us were born. He has recently tried 4e and is not happy with it. He is playing the Rogue.
Player 3 is the DM who normally runs my 4e game. He picked up the cleric of Pelor.
Player 4 is an old friend who has not rped since 2e who is coming back into the fold. He always played wizards so he picked up the wizard.

So we had a lot of fun, we tried to focus on what it felt like (With Kelly obviously unable to say if it felt like D&D or not). And we have some funny feelings. There is either too much healing or not enough. No one felt it was just right. Those of us that played 4e missed the action points. The wizard spells felt a little weak, but the at wills more than made up for it. We keep running head long into the not enough healing to keep going wall. We have spent almost 3 weeks of game time (19 days) to do most of the mod.
We played 2 Sunday nights about 4 hours each and on Monday at a picnic, so looking at about 13-14 hours in we have the following Highlights:
1) Kobold chief… I dare you to describe this encounter without using the word cluster. They ended up with 2 fleeing kobolds, the 3 elites, and the chief and his 5 kobolds with him all at once, and my PC killers…er I mean Dice were hot. Round two opened with 2 crits (with advantage double attack) on our wizard witch was 7+7 and down. The fighter had to drop some loot, and pick the wizard up and run.
2) 3rd trip (and still in those kobold caves) I ruled that they used that 40 kobold room to refill the others, leaving it at only (Yea only) 18 kobolds, or aprox 4 ½ to one odds against my PCs. The PCs having hit this room before reengaging the chief, the Wizard opened up with a sleep spell, and got 10 of them to sleep, leaving it to 2 to one odds.
3) Round 2 with the chif, now the PCs are ready. They also had 11 healing potions. They only used 5 of them. The MVP was the fighter, who ran up and kicked that giant kobold butt.
4) Orc Common room (30 or so orcs) this time it was after slaying the orc leader, and they threw his head in yelling “Who is in charge here” with our dwarven fighter making a +3 intimidate check with advantage (I figure decapitated leader is advantage for intimidate) and getting a21. I said the orcs answer was “You are” She now had a small force of somewhat loyal orcs. She decided that ment they could set this up as a base, and she could take the two biggest guys as ‘her consorts’ the idea of 9 months later a dwork warrior being born is funny.
5) The goblins are the first 1 shot through we made it. They had almost a TPK when the oger showed up. However wizard tried to lock down the oger with ray of frost, but kept missing. Then with the fighter and rogue both making death saves, and the wizard and priest both 1 hit from down, the oger moved up saying “This fight over..” hiting the wizard and knocking him to 0 exactly. Then our priest had the best moment, as he modified 3 lantern oaths into “With strong hearts full, my soul ignites, may those who worship evil’s might, burn like my power… PELOR’s LIGHT!” then hit with a searing light ending the fight. Then he dragged them back to the orc cave for an extended rest.
6) Hobgoblin’s took 3 days of hard fought battles, it ended with 15 hobo’s and the warlord against eh PCs and 8 orc warriors (including newly named orcs). When they rescused the towns folk, they instead of going back to town, ‘went native’ with the orcs, and a good intimidate check got 2 hobos to turn as well, so that brought them to about 40 combatants and a few dozen non coms, they they went back to the goblin and kobold non coms and tried some rp to bring them all into the ‘new tribe’.
7) They pulled a 15 min work day on the owl bear, and no one minded an easy shot.
8) The PCs hit a bug bear wall. To the point of on there 5th day trying (day 16 or so total) they just powered through it. Freeing those slaves and prisoners did not end well for them, raknor the barbarian turned on them and killed 2 orcs and a hobo before the PCs put him down. However Shagrid the rebel bugbear joined our tribe.
9) The stirges, oh how I almost TPKed again. The fire betteles were not too bad, and the curse was maybe not my best moment of DMING, then came MOOO Zilla. IF our fighter did not have both of her action surges, we would be talking about a TPK again, between that and our thief using the lurker feat (man did we not really use it as well as we could with the goblins and kobolds) to do 1d8+2d6+3 was good to. But it was brutal.
10) The gnoll caves were easier, because one of our freed slaves from the bug bears gave us intil on the set up. Day 1 into the caves we have just hit 3rd level and we made it to the gnoll pack head. The staff of curing and magic wand really got used well here. I also house ruled a transfer enchantment right before this so the magic spear was an axe for our fighter.
So we know from the new tribe members They have (they have atleast 1 of each group) that dark cultest, and the cleric of Pelor wants to find the shrine and realter it to his deity of the sun. Everyone is eager to try out there new 3rd level powers, especially our fighter and mage.

The good: Quick fights, easy on the fly rulings, and easy mechanics.
The bad: healing seams off (too little in combat too much for a night at rest), crits are not exciting at all, and some spells need alittle more clarity
The Ugly: AC, I mean it is the only defense, and it doesn’t work well, light heavy armors need to go back to the drawing board.

I asked everyone what they liked and disliked, and mechanic wise 2 things everyone agreed on was Advantage/Disadvantage was great, and Death Saves Suck.
Every Class felt a little MAD, especially by making find and perception Wis based the rogue was a bad scout.

On next week on Sunday night we pick up with what will most likely be our last play test for a while since we are out of material, but everyone wants to keep going. I don’t know for sure, but I may Homebrew a troll encounter to keep it going. But I am unsure if I can do this.

I will hold back on doing my survey until after next week, so I can make sure we have it all done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Libramarian

Adventurer
Lol @ the orc common room. :D

You have a good DMing approach and group for 5e I think. For me it was almost like the system makes off-the-cuff stuff too easy (and yet not really necessary, because of how powerful and sturdy the PCs are), so our play got a bit goofy and calvinball-ish for my taste.

This is an entertaining and thorough playtest report. You're the first group I have heard of that is actually completing the whole module before doing the survey.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Thanks for that. Good read.

We have a 5 session long weekend to play as much as we can. I have added a lot of my own stuff, but I hope the PCs are creative too. Loved the orc head moment.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases