D&D Next (5E) Ed Greenwood to write 5E's Forgotten Realms - Page 9

+ Log in or register to post
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

° Ignore Herschel
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenes View Post
    You're not the omly one. 4E wrecked the Realms, and replaced detailed regions with barely-described clichee. The Realms are not 3 books, are not entire regions reduced to a single paragraph which offers no real information, but a tapestry of history and details that make a region come alive.
    They blew the Realms up because so many people were sick & tired of teh bloated mess it had become and they wanted to open design space back up. Some fanboys were going to get upset but they didn't need to advance their personal timelines if they didn't want to. One of my 4E games is still in the pre-ToT Realms.

I'm going to go on record as saying I prefer the 4e Realms to the 3e as somewhere to adventure and to run a game.

But.

You'd have to pay me to run a game in the 3e Realms and I'm not likely to in the 4e one. The Realms might well not be to my taste. But they were what they were - and other settings do what the 4e Realms do. The 3e Realms were something. Not something I like. But something some people like. And so they should have stayed that way rather than being turned into PoLand Mk II.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

° Ignore Herschel
    Quote Originally Posted by Incenjucar View Post
    Why not back to before that Time of Troubles nonsense?
    Darn straight! It should be photocopies of napkin notes from Ed's original game! (must spread XP and all that)

Magsman (Lvl 14)

° Ignore Herschel
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf Witch View Post
    I really disliked what 4E did with the Realms so I would hope that they fix that.

I have never understood the compliant about the high powered NPCs. First of all it is your game and you can choose how to use them or take them out completely.

The gaming police are not going to come and fine you for tweaking the Realms. And if you have players who can't deal with any changes to their beloved Realms well that is a player problem not a setting problem.
    \
    Conversely, there's nothing to "fix" with the 4E Realms, it's great. Just set your game in whichever era you want. Most of my Realms games (regardless of edition) are 4E setting but I have a 4E game set in the Gray Box era.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Tolle View Post

As far as I'm concerned, this is another indication of how creatively bankrupt D&D Next is- but then I've always hated Elmunchkin and The Forgettable Realms. But hey, if you want your characters to wade through puddles of spooge while acting as servants at one of Mystera's parties, more power to you.
    if I could xp
    I'm with D&D...Any Edition

Magsman (Lvl 14)

° Ignore Herschel
    But it's new open vs. old open.

Quote Originally Posted by Incenjucar View Post
    You literally cannot catch up to Elminster without vast amounts of DM fiat.

May as well try to catch up to Ao.
    ELMINSTER can, and has lied to and gotten away with disregarding AO'.

Yes that made me throw a book at a player when he told me

My pitch is reset to day 1 box set, put a hard cap on all NPCs that they can't be higher then 2 levels below normal pc max (so if phb is 1-20 then npc cap at 18) make Elminster an immortal sage with only 1 or 2 spells, and lots of rituals.

Then the novels never work as cannon

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

° Ignore Mournblade94
    Quote Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
    They blew the Realms up because so many people were sick & tired of teh bloated mess it had become and they wanted to open design space back up. Some fanboys were going to get upset but they didn't need to advance their personal timelines if they didn't want to. One of my 4E games is still in the pre-ToT Realms.
    No they needlessly blew up the realms to appeal to those who were intellectually lazy. It would be the exact same thing as if I DEMANDED eberron to cut out Warforged and Mage tech because I feel left out because I like a more medieval setting.

The realms did not require those changes. The whiners were intellectually lazy. WOTC appealed to them, and look where it left them. Less popularity than it used to have.

There was nothing about the FR that was a bloated mess. It was resource material. Granted, there was reading involved. All the whiners that didn't want to use those resources were free to ignore them.

Hopefully the realms will be back to its proper pre 4e state.

Mod Note: It is incredibly easy to take all the folks who like something you don't, lump them in one group, and slap a nasty label on them and insult them. But Rule #1 of EN World is, "Keep it civil." And insulting people and calling them names is definitely not civil. Don't do this, or you get booted from the thread like Mournblade here. Questions? Take 'em to e-mail or PM. Thanks! ~Umbran
    Last edited by Umbran; Thursday, 7th June, 2012 at 06:20 PM.

I DM more then play, and as a dm the realms suck.

MY best example was i wanted to use the red wizards as a villan. I already had many problems in the campain, but when the PCs found out that at level 7 they had to stop a evoker 5/ red wizard 5 and her small army from invading a country... there answer was to instead of comeing up with a plan, go get symbol...

I can be more detailed, but point blank there are 100 high level NPCs in my hombrew world and none of them are expected to take center stage... but in fr there are 20+ ones that everyone feels should.

Run a game in ebberon no problem... dark sun same thing. 4e realms no problem... 1e-3e realmes JLM rules the world

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast