Leif's "Revenge of the Giants" [4E] Recruiting

hafrogman

Adventurer
I'm not immediately familiar with "themes." Where can I read about them?
Themes were originally introduced in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting book, then later expanded into less setting specific additions through Dragon articles, some of the 'Essentials' books (Heroes of the Feywild, Heroes of Elemental Chaos) and some of the other more recent publications.

They are a little like a minor-multiclass. Each grants a power (usually an encounter power) and the ability to (at later levels) substitute the theme's power for your normal class power selection.

There was a preview article of the DSCS that covers the hows and whats of them here.

Leif

Adventurer
I have some of those books, but not all of them. I think I have the Dark Sun book. Sure, Themes may be used for proposed characters. I'll try to read up on them today...

Scotley

Hero
No immediate problems, no. But, you relied on the character builder, which I did say was only to be done at your own risk. CB should have references to which book powers and features come from, I hope. It would be very beneficial if you could make a note of in which book each power you chose is to be found. I have no access to CB and have no plans to obtain same. Otherwise, I really like what you've done with the character!! Never even thought of this take on the monk class!

You know, now that I think about it, I think my AsstDM may well have access to the CB, which would solve ALL KINDS of problems. :D [MENTION=11520]Scotley[/MENTION]?

I gots it.

Insight

Adventurer
I did not pick a Theme for Durn, but if they are allowed, I would like to add a Theme to him. There are a few that would make sense for him.

drothgery

First Post
I have some of those books, but not all of them. I think I have the Dark Sun book. Sure, Themes may be used for proposed characters. I'll try to read up on them today...
Thanks. The first draft of Sariel had the Scholar theme; I've added that back...

The Knight Hospitaler theme (Dragon 399) would fit with Althous. The fluff of the theme, a "religious order of compassionate warriors sworn to provide care and comfort to the poor, the sick, and the injured" is in line with the Temple of Seven Fortunes. As a traveling monk of his temple he'd be a good candidate for the role, though the temple probably wouldn't call them Knights. How about...Master of Seasons instead as the title for the Hospitaler monks.

As it's a religious and not secular order they don't have to worry about getting involved in local politics, which suits the hide-in-plain-sight nature of the temples.

hafrogman

Adventurer
I revised Heise to include the Windlord theme, swapping around a few utility powers as a result. All the mechanical details are on the character sheet, but if you want me to e-mail you the full theme for you to review, I can.

Leif

Adventurer
Will start some reviews this evening with luck. Looks like an interesting group!
Let's do the review and selection winnowing via email, ok? ;)

I did not pick a Theme for Durn, but if they are allowed, I would like to add a Theme to him. There are a few that would make sense for him.
Sure, you might as well.

The Knight Hospitaler theme (Dragon 399) would fit with Althous. The fluff of the theme, a "religious order of compassionate warriors sworn to provide care and comfort to the poor, the sick, and the injured" is in line with the Temple of Seven Fortunes. As a traveling monk of his temple he'd be a good candidate for the role, though the temple probably wouldn't call them Knights. How about...Master of Seasons instead as the title for the Hospitaler monks.

As it's a religious and not secular order they don't have to worry about getting involved in local politics, which suits the hide-in-plain-sight nature of the temples.
Using Dragon stuff gets you into the 'use this at your own risk' category. If you want to do so, fine, but don't be overly surprised if you're not selected.

On the other hand, my AsstDM and I reserve the right to accept any submitted characters that are extremely cool, even if they use things that have been disallowed or recomended against.

I revised Heise to include the Windlord theme, swapping around a few utility powers as a result. All the mechanical details are on the character sheet, but if you want me to e-mail you the full theme for you to review, I can.
Thanks for the offer, but that's ok. I trust that either I or my AsstDM will be able to access it. If not, we may be in touch later.

The Knight Hospitaler theme isn't essential, so I haven't added it to his sheet. I'll still probably use the idea behind it for RP purposes, but the mechanics aren't needed though would be interesting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases